The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a "discussion" with a guy today that typically stocks and hunts pheasants on private property when they are not in season. He buys his birds from a registered seller, and gets the stickers. Question is, is it legal to buy, stock, and hunt pheasants outside of the regular season on private land, but not on a preserve?

·
Registered
846 Posts
my understanding is that unless it is 'regulated shooting grounds', i.e. a preserve, then once released the birds are property of the commonwealth and are subject to all seasons, bag limits and regulations.

The season is over

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I could be wrong but I don't think it is legal, they have
to be in season and you have to follow the daily bag limit.
Chukars can be stocked and shot at anytime on private land
though. This is the way I have been told that it is anyway.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is absolutely illegal to stock pheasants and hunt them when the season is closed. In season you may do that but if you are in a rooster only WMU you may only shoot roosters and you may only take two a day even though you put them out. Once they are released they are wild birds , not yours, under the law unless you are doing it on a licensed regulated hunting ground. Better tell your friend to get a regulated hunting ground license so he can be legal or to cease and desist what he is doing.

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, John. That is what I told the guy. To make matters worse, they have been releasing and hunting them on the SUNDAY after Thanksgiving, as part of their deer camp routine!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Man, they have been lucky, at about $100.00 per bird it can get very expensive.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I certainly would not want to argue with John because I believe he is a former (or current) WCO and I'm sure he would know better than I would. But my understanding of this was that it is legal if you are releasing your own birds and they are banded in some way to ID them as your own. Only problem I see is what if a "wild" bird got mixed in with yours and you shot it. Again, I very easily could be wrong about this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts