The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone looking to get their bird dog some work right now might want to head out to their local SGL. I was out running rabbits last night and there was just pheasants EVERYWHERE! They were just walking down the roads, across fields, etc. The PGC must have dumped their hold overs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not sure if they recently released any, but a lot more hold over than people think. Some even pull off broods.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, these were definitely just released birds. I've been running my dogs out there religiously for the past month, there is definitely one hold over rooster. No idea how he's still alive as he just stands in the same spot every day and cackles. Then yesterday we go running, pheasants everywhere. I literally saw 3 standing together on the road.

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
They have been stocking the spent breeders the past couple weeks. I don't work my dog on them though. They are pretty run down and would be easy to catch. My dog thinks they are a cripple and would retrieve them if I left him work them.

A few of them will be successful at nesting and raising a few poults. Most of them will fall victim to predation but that too is ok. If a predator is hunting them instead of turkey, grouse poults or fawn deer it is still a win for all concerns except the preyed upon pheasant. But, once they have collected enough of their eggs they are excess baggage and too expensive to feed until season so stocking them is a plus all the way around.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Super Moderator
2,506 Posts
R. S. B. said:
Most of them will fall victim to predation but that too is ok. If a predator is hunting them instead of turkey, grouse poults or fawn deer it is still a win for all concerns except the preyed upon pheasant.

Dick Bodenhorn
This could also be viewed as increasing the predator population by providing easy pickings when both avian and mamallian parents are struggling to find food to feed their young.

It all depends on how you want to spin it.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
R. S. B. said:
They have been stocking the spent breeders the past couple weeks. I don't work my dog on them though. They are pretty run down and would be easy to catch. My dog thinks they are a cripple and would retrieve them if I left him work them.

A few of them will be successful at nesting and raising a few poults. Most of them will fall victim to predation but that too is ok. If a predator is hunting them instead of turkey, grouse poults or fawn deer it is still a win for all concerns except the preyed upon pheasant. But, once they have collected enough of their eggs they are excess baggage and too expensive to feed until season so stocking them is a plus all the way around.

Dick Bodenhorn
If they aren't worth feeding, no good for dog training, and most likely won't survive to be harvested by hunters, how does the pgc justify wasting our money to feed predators?...Just wring their neck and call it a day.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
This may sound completely stupid, but why not announce which GL and which week they are getting rid of these "excess" birds, and allow them to be "hunted" for a week or so ? That's right, open Pheasants for a week in April or so. I know that is completely unconventional, but......

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
The pheasants were stocked in May, when all the native game birds are on nests, or have already hatched out chicks. The last thing they need is a bunch of poultry chasin yahoos running around with their dogs looking for a quick kill to brag about. Duuuhhhhhhhhh.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
How many of those native game birds will be found in the same locales as these stocked leftovers ? Seems like a non-issue to me. Duhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I say work your dogs on them, who cares if they are too weak to fly and get caught by the dogs, they are gonna die anyhow. I've been hoping the beagles bring a few back for me but nothing yet

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Smoke'n Mack said:
I say work your dogs on them, who cares if they are too weak to fly and get caught by the dogs, they are gonna die anyhow. I've been hoping the beagles bring a few back for me but nothing yet
Well catching birds is exactly what we DON'T want our bird dogs to do. It sets back their training.

·
Super Moderator
2,506 Posts
RyanR said:
Smoke'n Mack said:
Well catching birds is exactly what we DON'T want our bird dogs to do. It sets back their training.
Many flushing dog owners have no problems with their dogs catching birds, thinking it reinforces a hard flush. But maybe flushers aren't considered bird dogs though.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
dap said:
RyanR said:
Smoke'n Mack said:
Many flushing dog owners have no problems with their dogs catching birds, thinking it reinforces a hard flush. But maybe flushers aren't considered bird dogs though.
Ouch!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RyanR said:
Smoke'n Mack said:
Oh, well in that case, I'd keep those dogs out of the gamelands right now. Haha.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
How many pheasant do they release in the spring? Hundreds, Thousands??? Perhaps they could sell them to a processor who can sell them to the food industry. It would help put a little money back in the till for the next seasons stocking

·
Super Moderator
2,506 Posts
Rober said:
How many pheasant do they release in the spring? Hundreds, Thousands??? Perhaps they could sell them to a processor who can sell them to the food industry. It would help put a little money back in the till for the next seasons stocking
I believe the number given at the commissioner's meeting was 20,000.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
dap said:
RyanR said:
Smoke'n Mack said:
Perhaps for the window lickers I should've clarified that I was referring to pointing dogs?

I considered my flushing Labrador to be a good hunting dog. Never saw your dog work though so I can't comment on its abilities.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts