The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older .22 mag anschutz/savage arms model with 'west germany' stamped on it, so I figure it must be at least pre-1991, and the problem is that I noticed at the front sling eyelet the stock warped a solid 1/8 inch away from the barrel. I have a dehumidifier in the basement and the gun stays standing upright in the cabinet (its the only wood stock gun I own). I'm getting ready for fall turkey and my first instinct is to glue the barrel to the stock. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
By the description you provide, I wouldn't be in the least bit concerned about 1/8 inch. The first thing I would do I check to make sure all of the screws holding the action in place are nice and tight. In likelihood, this is probably the way the gun was made.

The last thing I would do is try to glue the stock to the barrel. The pressure on the barrel from even the smallest bit of anything stuck between the wood and barrel will likely result in a change in the accuracy. If any part ever breaks off from the glue/wood, it would also likely keep you from being able to get any sort of decent groups. Another way to think about it is many people like to ensure that there rifles are free floated to minimize this. Any thing stuck in the barrel channel will negate any free floating of the barrel.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I'm no expert,but it seems like the wood has become really dried out and shrunk. Man,don't glue it!!!!!!!! See what happens when you start taking it out into the moist weather. It may return to fit?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts