The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock that I refinished and want to put a finish coat on it. I have used tung oil but need something resistant to water.

My question is, will a final coat of say, tru oil be ok to use considering I've already used tung oil?

B

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I wouldn't do that. True oil is linseed oil with a polymer added for hardness and drying. Tung oil take a long time to dry thoroughly where true oil will dry in a couple of hours allowing you to do several coats a day with steel wooling in between coats. Since you already have tung oil on the stock I would continue to hand rub with tung oil til you get the finish you want or sand it off and start again hand rubbing with true oil.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks john.

I should have mentioned the stock was redun years ago and has lost it's shine and has some water marks. That's why I was going to apply the tru oil.

I do like the look of tung oil though. So, a few more questions:

1) Is there a protective polymer that I can apply to stock if I should give it a couple of more coats of tung oil?

2) Is it ok to apply tru oil after a few years have past since the last coat of tung oil?

thanks again.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That I don't know. The reason I like true oil is because it has a polymer in the linseed oil and it is easy to touch up if needed. Perhaps you could call the company and ask the true oil people if it will work over another kind of oil.

·
Registered
25,549 Posts
I now use ZAR tung oil fortfied with polyurethane.

Applies like tung oil; looks like a tung oil finish; "stays put" a bit better than plain tung oil, from palm sweat and rain.

The "palm sweat" part is crucial for varmint rifles, from my experiences. Hot temps and hours afield after woodchucks, ruined the factory varnish on several rifles over the years.

Years ago I used boiled linseed oil on walnut, but it discolors from rain exposure and usually needed some attention, after it had dried.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Use Birchwood Casy Stock Wax it's a good water repellent and protector. I'm a sponsor here on the site and do this kind of stuff daily go to the sponser link and click on Warfields Dura Coating. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. I found the zar at local shop.

By the way, how is the birchwood wax and different than the birchwood sealer? which is better to use?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Sealer goes on the wood before you apply the finish, wax afterward.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
We live and learn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts