The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a post a few days back asking how you can get the stink out of or off of your hunting boots. I read in an outdoor magazine yesterday that burying your boots in a container of shucked corn, boots filled with corn as well will remove the odor in about 3 or 4 days. I couldn't find the op so I am answering it here. Can't vouch for it just passing it on. Upside is that corn is cheap.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Good timing! I grab my Mucks today WOW! I put baking soda inside helped a little, Going to fill them tonight with corn. Worth a shot

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Will let ya know if it works, As for the socks, Wife said don't come in this house with those on! through them right in the garbage. Hum? New boots?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Last year during archery season i left my rocky boots outside on the back deck as i usually do for a couple hours before i bring the boots inside the house. I forgot to bring them in before bedtime, but later that night it rained. I realized that the next morning. Did they stink!!!. I got panty hose nylons and filled with rice to soak the odor and wetness. After a week of this ordeal, boots were dry but the bad smell still there. I then got kitty litter did that trick for a few days. The odor want as bad but still there. I reached inside pulled out the soft rubber insoles. That was my issue, the odor was very strong on the insoles. I tossed them in a zip lock bag in the trash can they went. Did the cat litter for couple days. I had clean smelling boots.

If i done this in the 1st place took out the insoles, i wouldn't have had the issue getting the odor out of my boots for days, so any of you guys trying the corn? Take out the insoles. Otherwise you be spending alot of time for nothing.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I dump the corn out today, Seems to work a bit, corn smell really bad, so it must be working. Going to add more and let it stand for a week or two. Next time at wally world I'll pick up a bag of cat litter and add that to the mix.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I take insoles out of boots, running shoes, mowing shoes (really wicked), and soak/scrub them. Then hang them on line in sun to dry. Most of the stink is in those insoles. You can buy all kinds of shoe and boot inserts. Good idea to have extra's.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I use a peet boot dryer daily, it is amazing how well they work on keeping the odor down and your boots will last longer
John is right on the money with the peet boot dryer. I take mine with me when traveling over night, have two in use, and a backup.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Crumpled up newspaper stuffed lightly in boots and let set will draw out odor fairly well. Repeat a few times if needed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts