The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw the most Beautiful Gobbler all fanned up while another Gobbler was standing next to him. Don't know what happened this year in western PA. Not one Gobble during the season. I hunt an area that is polluted with Birds. Today I see this. They never let me down in all their craziness!!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
That's literally hard to believe. They're gobbling somewhere. How often and for how long did you hunt throughout the season?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Western pa was rocken with gobbles. Were you in the woods at daybreak much?

·
Registered
24,914 Posts
Thursday..From 6:30 to 8 AM had 5 birds in the back yard. Two gobblers a mature bird who was on display about the whole time and a jake who never displayed.. 3 hens pecking and dusting. about 5 gobbles and finally I had to step out on the porch yell and clap my hands for them to leave so I could let the dogs out for our morning jaunt. Didn't want the dogs to scatter them..

This morning cleaning up garbage after a bear attack
one was gobbling again..

My favorite gobbles of the year are the first before the season and the next is right after the season is over...

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
bobcat1 said:
Don't know what happened this year in western PA. Not one Gobble during the season. I hunt an area that is polluted with Birds.
I have a spot in western PA where I hunted 9 days. Each day I was setup at least 1/2 hour before daylight. I heard hens and saw birds every single day that I was in there. I passed on a jake, called in 2 longbeards that my dad missed and then called in a flock of 9 birds that my dad got a longbeard out of. That being said, we never heard a single gobble in that spot the entire season. Dumbfounding.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Hunted 15+ days this year heard gobbling every day except one. Killed one missed one. Talked with a bunch of guys that said it was their worst year or strangest year

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Shed Antler said:
Talked with a bunch of guys that said it was their worst year or strangest year
True story......

Lousiest year I have ever seen and have had MANY other fellows concur.......

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
I was at a gun bash today and everyone was talking about what a good year it was and most had killed several birds. Every time out I heard birds.

·
Premium Member
24,121 Posts
The season was over by the second week around here. I couldn't buy a gobble the last two weeks

·
Registered
932 Posts
Was out every day of season and all the Sundays as well, heard gobbling birds every day but two. Seen three long beards today, one single and two together. One of those two strutted and gobbled like a fool.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
Heard gobbling every time I was out and saw gobblers every time I was out.

Heard gobbling from the roost, early morning on the ground, mid morning, late morning, early afternoon, late afternoon.

Heard at least 8 different birds on opening day from my location.

But I have talked to other guys who don't hunt too far away from me that said the season was terrible...go figure. Not sure what makes them gobble like crazy in one spot and be silent all season just a few miles away.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hunted every day but one day of this years season Rain or Shine and only heard birds gobble on two of those days. Because of my work schedule I could not get into the woods on the days that I worked until about 6:00 and hunted every day of the first 2 weeks from 6am until noon. The last couple weeks of the season I hunted from 6 am until about 1 sometimes 2 pm and a few of those days from Dark to Dark. On the days that I was off I was in the woods where I needed to be well before light and only heard birds gobble on the roost on one of those days. The turkeys were in the areas where I was hunting I know for sure because I saw them but for what ever reason this year their beaks were glued tight and they refused to talk. The two birds that did gobble, the first actually being 2 long beards that came in together to 35 yards and stepped into an opening but because of the fact that at the time it was pouring buckets of rain when they stepped out of the high huckleberry bushes they were facing straight on to me and their beards were plastered to their chest I could not see the beards, when they both turned to step back into the high bushes I could see they both had about a 10" beards hanging but no shot opportunity because of the fact that they were standing right in line with each other and I would have killed both birds with one shot so NO shot was taken. I went 9 days until I heard the next bird gobble on the roost 1 time and at 9 am I had that bird at 5 Yards but he came in above me and only periscoped his head up enough for me to see from his wattles up as he looked over the hill for the hen he had heard. When he popped his head up my gun was right were it needed to be but again I could not see a beard hanging so I didn't take the shot. After he looked over the hill for that hen he gobbled one more time as he walked away. I worked that bird several times that day and hunted from dark to dark but never again got to lay eyes on him. In almost 40 years of chasing these birds this is by far the quietest season for gobbling that I have had while hunting.

·
Registered
19,276 Posts
Quietest season for me probably ever. Of course, with the timing of our season, I expect such when spring comes early, as it did this year.

·
Registered
84 Posts
my son got a big gobber on youth day that ended up winning two different turkey contests.. I got a longbeard on opening day and on may 26th that I messed with for 5 hrs that had 8 hens with him....my dad killed longbeard may 4th and may 27th...not a lot of gobbling but days they did we killed.... just seen 3 longbeards together on way home from work today....the last week was as good as first week..just like about every yr....but some guys say worst or weirdest season ever....it happens...next yr it will be others having bad luck....

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
bobcat1 said:
I just saw the most Beautiful Gobbler all fanned up while another Gobbler was standing next to him. Don't know what happened this year in western PA. Not one Gobble during the season. I hunt an area that is polluted with Birds. Today I see this. They never let me down in all their craziness!!
Hunter8319 said:
That's literally hard to believe. They're gobbling somewhere. How often and for how long did you hunt throughout the season?
I have no trouble believing what bobcat1 said. I hunted at least 22 days in northwestern PA, in the woods no later than 5:10 every time, and I heard gobbling from the roost only twice. I also heard mid-morning gobbling only twice, and I killed one of those birds on May 10. I busted the other one -- he was going away from me and changed course while I was trying to circle in front of him to get on the other side of the field he was crossing.

I saw plenty of hens, and busted three silent gobblers standing beside my truck late one morning. It was a tough season in some places, and I feel blessed to have been out there so much and to have tagged one bird under those challenging conditions.

I saw about 10 adult birds out in a field on my way home from church today.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Killef a longbeard on opening day on a piece of private ground that I normally hunt. There were gobblers and hens everywhere leading up until about a week before the season.

After I shot my bird its like everything vanished. None of the neighbors heard anything either.

On the way home from work this week I saw 5 Jakes in a nearby field. Neighbor also saw a longbeard in the same field.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts