The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hearing woodcock regularly through this past Saturday but I haven't heard one since. I am in the south central portion of the state. So who is still hearing woodcock and what portion of the state?

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
I am in SW PA and am hearing loads of them. I have only seen one or two while hunting though. I have been trying to see them but they are pretty elusive.

Heard some drumming today as well. made my mind go off of turkey maniac mode and lift my spirits that some of the grouse that I had missed made it though this crazy winter. Man they are tough critters.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
kg300 said:
I was hearing woodcock regularly through this past Saturday but I haven't heard one since. I am in the south central portion of the state. So who is still hearing woodcock and what portion of the state?
you very much could not have any resident birds where you were hearing them but its possible more will show up. I think the rule of thumb is if you hear them after april 15th they are more than likely resident birds. Ill hear them talking depending on the year up till mid May and i even heard one on Memorial day last year so the Males will continue to look for some love

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I was hearing them for 2 weeks straight but they seemed to have disappeared. I haven't heard any in 2 days now.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Had a MY out for the youth turk hunt on Sat and she got to watch her first doodle sky dances. She was amazed how high up they go then drop like a rock : )

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back about April 18 near the full moon I heard 2 peenting at around midnight which was pretty cool. Near Gettysburg battlefield

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I had one peenting and then sky dancing right across the road Saturday night, finished up by flying across the road between the house and kennel directly overhead and unto a dormant field on the other side of the yard.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
When this thread first started, I had no idea what a woodcock sounded like. So I looked it up on youtube. When I went out on the first day for turkeys, I heard at least five of them and put one out before it was light. They were all around us where we hunted that day.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Last weekend at a field trial in Ohio we found a mom and 4 little one's under a bush. We walked right up to them and they never moved. They were about half the size that she was.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I haven't heard them in a few weeks. There are usually some local timberdoodles sitting on nests Behind my house, around the Paint Borough Sportmen's and along Piney Run but have not found any yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts