The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I quit Saturday at 2pm. I had my chance at a buck in a grape vine thicket and hit a tree.
After i went home my son went across the border from 4-d to 2-E where we had no doe tags for. He says he walked a set of rail road tracks and jumped 2 big bucks. The bucks ran across a very deep creek and just stood and looked at him. He says he would have had to go 2 miles to get a cross it! Deer were in water half way up their bodies crossing it. Then he jumped 6 does and they just looked at him ! Our doe tags were for 4-D. He was in 2-E.
After leaving there and going towards his house he saw 2 different fields with as many as 10 deer in them,2 -E again.
Heading to work yesterday,at 4am,he had to stop for a big buck on the road and then 1/2 mile further another buck on the road stood!
They still have Flint lock season and bow to hunt so they know there are lots left to look for?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Yep. I passed a dink 5 point Saturday morning. I'm after a big double brow 9 that I have a pic of on this past Wednesday night at 11:45. So I know he's still here as nobody has been back in where I hunt since first Tuesday. I think he's went nocturnal. Hopefully it gets real cold in flintlock so he gets on his feet to feed during daylight. Also saw a 6 and another shooter which I couldn't get a point count on cross the road in front of me last night. Went for a walk today to take down 2 blinds and tracks everywhere. Its gonna be a long 2 week wait to get out with the musket.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I had a nice buck run right behind my bus on Friday morning. Was at one of my neighborhood stops, and I saw the buck in the rear view mirror. He came out of some man made wetlands they have nearby and ran right through someone's back yard.

·
Super Moderator
13,799 Posts
I've spent the past two days hunting pheasant and grouse in some of the same places of public land I was hunting deer over the past two weeks. During deer season you would have thought there was darn few deer in those places. The past two days though, with my dog working the cover for grouse and/or pheasant, suddenly there are both deer and deer tracks everywhere.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I saw a buck with a very high rack at 5:02 on Saturday (last day) in 2F while I was doe hunting. I don't know how many points he had or how wide he was. When I first saw him he was about 400 yards away, and the closest I got was about 200 yards. I might put some cameras out to see if I can get a better look at him.

Steve.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I saw a 10 point, 160" buck, walking down the sidewalk in Bethel Park this morning. He was a bruiser!

·
Registered
4,191 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Went for a long scouting session yesterday and deer were up and feeding at noon around here. Trying to get a feel for flintlock. Got a group of 4 buddies coming up and I got 5 blinds to set this weekend. They'll be here 10 days and lots of tags to fill. Sit for a few hours in the morning. Head out to other locations for drives then back to the homestead for the evening sits. That big double brow 9 hasnt showed himself again since my one pic on second Wednesday. I'm running 3 cams. 3 shooters on them. One is a respectable 8 that I'll smoke if I get a chance. Can't wait!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The neighbors farm has had between 15-25 deer in field beside my house pretty much every evening since rifle season has been over. I heard exactly 2 shots over there all season and they were at 7:10 on the first Saturday. It is posted solid and nobody really hunts it. We get lucky and pick some off as they travel across my land to feed on the farm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts