The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IN THE LATE SPRING OF 2010 I OFFERED TO MAKE A TRAVELING DECOY FOR THE HUNTING PA. WEBSITE. AND WAS SELECTED I COULDN’T BELIVE HOW FAST PEOPLE SIGNED UP TO USE IT AND ALL THE PLACES IT TRAVLED. IM REMBERING 1 SKUNKING OUT OF HIS JORNEY, AND THE KICK I GOT WHEN MY BOSS AT THE TIME LT. COMMANDER MCDONALD CAME BACK TO WORK AND TOLD ME OF HUNTING OVER A HOMEMADE DECOY WITH MY NAME ON THE BOTTOM. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO HUNT OVER THEM TILL THE END OF THEIR DAYS THEY ARE BOTH HOLLOW WITH A NEW 2010 PENNY INSIDE . AND MADE OF COTTONWOOD FROM THE SCRAP WOOD PILE ON THE NAVY BASE. I HAD ORIGINALY MADE THE HEN TO GO WITH THE DRAKE BUT SHIPPING COST WOULD OF PREVENTED USING BOTH AND HELD HER TO HUNT ON THE SUSQUEHANNA RIVER UNTIL HER MATES RETURN. BOTH WERE MADE TO TAKE ABUSE AS YOU CAN SEE,BOTH HAVE THE RIGGING PLACED ON THEM THE FIRST DAY OF HUNTING. IT WAS AN HONOR TO DO THEM AND WATCH OTHERS ENJOY SOMETHING FROM MY OWN HANDS AND AN HONOR TO PASS THEM ON TO SUSQUEHANNA RIVER WETLANDS TRUST TO AUCTION OFF AT THERE ANNUAL BANQUET! I HOPE YOU ENJOY BIDDING ON THEM AND CONTINUEING TO HUNT OVER THEM AS MUCH AS I DID CARVING AND PAINTING THEM! TIM STEWART!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It's a great decoy! I had a lot of
Fun hunting over it and had some great luck! Shot several teal and even a band with a web tag! Good times and god memories! Couldn't be possible without people that care like you! Thank you!

And jguns for putting it all together! His efforts can't go unnoticed!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I officially volunteer to take next year's decoy for a whirl, Christmas time to be exact. This year's photography, success, and overall documentation was sub par at best (not including Maine trip, that was awesome). We'll take some video clips just to jazz-up the deal.

What happened, there was hardly anything in the traveling decoy thread this year???

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
bucksgobbler said:
I officially volunteer to take next year's decoy for a whirl, Christmas time to be exact. This year's photography, success, and overall documentation was sub par at best (not including Maine trip, that was awesome). We'll take some video clips just to jazz-up the deal.

What happened, there was hardly anything in the traveling decoy thread this year???
It all started off with a bad name & it went downhill from there - ha!!! The traveling decoy is definitely learning process/work in progress. There will be good years & there will be bad years. That being said, there are certain guys who have gotten it in the past who won't be getting it this season. I'm starting to see a trend with guys who aren't following the rules.

I think I've also decided I'm going to take on an apprentice who can help Marshall the decoy thru the season & keep after guys to make sure they're posting their hunts. I fortunately/unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) have been too busy to babysit a bunch of adults who can't/won't do what they agree to do. So there will be changes this year!!!

Sorry to get off topic Tim, thanks again for carving stewie!!! He was a crap load of fun to hunt over!!!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
jguns2002 said:
bucksgobbler said:

It all started off with a bad name & it went downhill from there - ha!!! The traveling decoy is definitely learning process/work in progress. There will be good years & there will be bad years. That being said, there are certain guys who have gotten it in the past who won't be getting it this season. I'm starting to see a trend with guys who aren't following the rules.

I think I've also decided I'm going to take on an apprentice who can help Marshall the decoy thru the season & keep after guys to make sure they're posting their hunts. I fortunately/unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) have been too busy to babysit a bunch of adults who can't/won't do what they agree to do. So there will be changes this year!!!

Sorry to get off topic Tim, thanks again for carving stewie!!! He was a crap load of fun to hunt over!!!
I had it the first two years and everything went well. Then this year I was suppossed to have it and I saw it once. I don't think it was my fault, but honestly, I have no clue what happened or what was suppossed to happen.

ONe thing I can say is that I know that I did my duty with Brutus because when i received him there was no packing material included and when he left my hands he was wrapped professionally at Fed Ex , whcih, by the way, cost me $30. I think Nathan (Beavman) can validate this for me.

My motto with other people's property is you should make every effort to return that property in better condition than when you received it. Obviously, this takes a little bit of humility- something many of us need to show a little more of.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Steve, I've been hosed on it the past 2 years. It's a pretty simple concept. Hunt it when you're supposed to & get it to the guy who has it after you. People who haven't followed the rules in the past won't get it this year. I don't care if we only have 3 groups of guys who hunt it, I'm not dealing with this bs again!!!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Jon, I hope i did everything that i was supposed to do because i sure would miss having the decoys for the kids hunt they really enjoy it and i just want to say thanks to the carvers that make all of this happen!
Jimmie
Let The Feathers Fly!!!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
gooseman51 said:
Jon, I hope i did everything that i was supposed to do because i sure would miss having the decoys for the kids hunt they really enjoy it and i just want to say thanks to the carvers that make all of this happen!
Jimmie
Let The Feathers Fly!!!
You WILL continue to get the decoys for the youth hunt as a kick-off. I think it's a good way to start it off. The kids will NOT get to name the decoy again!!! That name was a jinx from the get-go!!! Boner would have had NOOOO issues!!!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Jon,I thought the name was ok but but a jinx i don't know about that the kids all killed ducks and shot alot of ammo. But anyway i am looking to take the traveling decoy on the kids hunts as long as i can kinda seems like we got a tradition started here and lets keep it going.Thanks Jon and everyone that helps out without you guys this couldn't happen!!
Jimmie
Let The Feathers Fly!!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I don't know if you considered this, but maybe make it a commpetition. 2 decoys, East and West. Winning side gets both decoys. Mix it up, get more people involved. Something to generate interest. I'll sign up next time regardless, maybe I can get it to Ohio for early teal.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Don, I've been involved with 2 decoys on a different web-site & it was a MONSTROUS Cluster-eff!

Interest is there...getting grown men to follow directions & do what they say their going to do.....that's a different story. Hopefully I'll get to see the log book this year & see who followed the rules & who didn't. If people didn't follow, they don't get it this year...plain and simple, no exceptions made. I've said it before & I'll say it again. I don't care if we only have 3 people hunt the thing ALL season. If they follow the rules & keep the online log up to date...so be it!

I'll hold you to taking it out this year. Maybe do something with your Delta Chapter?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Sure, I'll take it out. I could for the Ohio teal season, the youth days we plan or even on the wounded soldier hunt (if they choose ducks). I can't promise pile pics those days, but a story for sure. If I get it another day due to scheduling, I'm much better in the last 5 weeks than the first 5 weeks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts