The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Sterling Scores

3K views 22 replies 23 participants last post by  Benny P 
#1 ·
Posting this for Sterling (WildTigerTrout's Son) The stats are...Beard 9", spurs 1 1/2 added, and weight 17 3/4.Congrats to you both!

See less See more
#16 ·
Thank you all for the comments. This was Sterling's first wild turkey! We have tried for the last three years and things just would not come together, Well it worked out today. First I must say I'm old fashioned and hunt without the use of blinds or decoys. We hit the woods before daylight. Heard our bird gobble while still in the tree just before 6am. I tree-called a couple times just to let him know we were there. When he flew down he headed in the other direction away from us. Long story short we moved on him 4 or 5 times. He quit gobbling and I figured he had found a girlfriend. I was right. I heard her answer my calling, so I called to her and thought if she was looking for some company maybe the gobbler would tag along. Sure enough she slowly came into view and finally stood in front of us at 25 yards just yelping her head off. I looked to her left and behind her and there he came in FULL strut. The show lasted another 15 minutes before Sterling could finish lining up the sights on the 20 gauge Benelli Nova without being seen. The gobbler never came out of strut and I told him he would have to shoot him that way. We waited until there was nothing between us and him but 25 yards of thin air and Sterling dropped the hammer on him at 715 am. One clean shot and it was all over. One hour and fifteen minutes from start to finish. He was so excited he was shaking all over. The experience will last a lifetime for he and I both. What a rush! Chalk another bird up to Wilbur Primos "True Double" Piggyback mouth call. Thanks to all for your time and reading our story.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.