The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to take my boys to Erie area for some steelhead fishing after muzzleloader season.
Any tips? I have never fished for them, but would love to get my sons and maybe my daughter on a couple. I hear it is a blast.
If anyone would be willing to share any tips (not your hot spots or anything like that), I would appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I don't want to discourage you from going but I have not gone in years due to the intense crowding that occurs. I'm only mentioning it so you know what to expect.

The last time I went there, it was in the Spring when there is supposed to be less pressure. I went on a Wednesday and the creek I went to was full of people in the lower section. I finally found a pool where there were no other anglers and after I threw a few casts, an angler noisily stomped across the head of the pool a few yards upstream from me. After that, I walked upstream a long way and escaped some of the pressure.

There are anglers on this forum who are much better able to put up with crowded conditions than I am. Some will describe crowds as "not too bad" which means different things. Some may think that five or six people sharing a pool isn't crowded or that anything less than elbow to elbow is tolerable. It all depends on what you like or are accustomed to. I am used to fishing wild trout streams where I go to another spot or another stream if someone gets ahead of me so when someone walks up and stands a few feet away from me and starts fishing, or wades right in front of me, as happens on the Erie tribs, I'm out of there.

If you're going to go, I would encourage you to avoid weekends at all costs, be willing to walk to escape the pressure, and if possible avoid days when the weather is really nice.

Good luck.

TT

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I went in January once. Cold, but less people. Also much less steelhead. I managed to catch one, but even though he was very much healthy, the fight was diminished by about 65% in my opinion. Perhaps the cold water this time of year makes them lethargic?

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Attached is a link to an earlier discussion on the same subject.

It's called Steelhead Fishing. The original poster asked for ideas or hints as you have done.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. Yes. Trout traveler, I do not like crowds at all. Maybe Erie steelhead are not for me. Lol. I enjoy solitude.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
West side gets hit hard Walnut Creek,Elk Creek. I live on the East side not as crowded because we have 5 tributary streams in a 10 mile radius off Rt.5 plenty of room and fish! If you decide to go let me know be glad to help ya out anyway I can(y)

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Yes. Trout Traveler, I do not like crowds at all. Maybe Erie steelhead are not for me. Lol. I enjoy solitude.
I haven’t fished there for at least 15 years, maybe 20, but I can’t imagine that the situation has improved. In fact, it may be worse because I understood some sections which used to be open to fishing are now private.

Every so often, I’m tempted to go because of the prospect of catching huge steelhead or brown trout, but when I think about the distance I’d have to travel for crowded fishing and poor angler behavior, I lose the urge fast.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I have
West side gets hit hard Walnut Creek, Elk Creek. I live on the East side not as crowded because we have 5 tributary streams in a 10 mile radius off Rt. 5: plenty of room and fish! If you decide to go let me know be glad to help ya out anyway I can(y).
I had to say that my experience was on the west side for the most part. I did fish one stream on the east side once, then drove to Twenty Mile which was elbow to elbow so I left. I would encourage you to send 59 Willys a PM for information.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I go up a few times a year and I fly fish for them, so no crowds is pretty much a must. I can usually find some where to go on Elk or Walnut. One of the best things you can do is access the USGS flow maps online for up there. They will tell you what the level is before making the drive only to find out that the water is too high or too low. And the creeks can change fast, from the level to the clarity, right before your eyes. Look at maps to find those back road areas for places that aren't as crowded. There is nothing like catching one them on a fly rod, its pure madness for a few minutes!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I have

I had to say that my experience was on the west side for the most part. I did fish one stream on the east side once, then drove to Twenty Mile which was elbow to elbow so I left. I would encourage you to send 59 Willys a PM for information.
I try to stay away from 20 mile. A lot of private property below Rt. 5 hard getting access to the lake. Never used to be! Like everything else some anglers abuse homeowners property and them.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I go up a few times a years and I fly fish for them, so no crowds is pretty much a must. I can usually find some where to go on Elk or Walnut. One of the best things you can do is access the USGS flow maps online for up there. They will tell you what the level is before making the drive only to find out that the water is too high or too low. And they creeks can change fast, from the level to the clarity, right before your eyes. Look at maps to find those back road areas for places that aren't as crowded. There is nothing like catching one them on a fly rod, its pure madness for a few minutes!
Or call me in 1/2 hr. I can show you where to park,fish,eat, motels. and water condition " changes like wind here " BP if you ever come up this way maybe you can show me how to use a fly rod ! My late uncle gave me a 4 pc. bamboo fly rod made by Montague beautiful looking with a Pflueger medalist 1494 reel. I never used one in my life!:( And I don't think my uncle either by the looks of it

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I do not have any experience fishing the tribs in Erie but if you have the time to travel up to Pulaski, NY I can put you in touch with the best guide on the Salmon River and you and your kids will have a blast...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts