The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The Steelers suspended the mercurial Mendenhall for their game Sunday at Dallas for <span style="font-weight: bold">conduct detrimental to the team.</span>"

He must have made everybody dizzy with his spinning again?

From Yahoo Sports....

<span style="font-style: italic">PITTSBURGH (AP) -- When Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin demoted running back Rashard Mendenhall to third-string following a fumble in a loss to Cleveland last month, Tomlin stressed Mendenhall would have a chance to redeem himself.

Not this week.

The Steelers suspended the mercurial Mendenhall for their game Sunday at Dallas for conduct detrimental to the team. Pittsburgh promoted running back Baron Batch from the practice squad to take Mendenhall's place.

The suspension is the latest in a series of setbacks for the 25-year-old Mendenhall. He emerged as Pittsburgh's starter in 2009 and topped 1,000 yards in 2009 and 2010. He nearly reached the milestone again last winter but tore the ACL in his right knee in the regular- season finale against Cleveland.

Mendenhall returned Oct. 4 and had 101 total yards and a touchdown in a victory over the Philadelphia Eagles. He strained his right Achilles four days later against Tennessee and never regained a firm grip on the starting job.

Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman shined in Mendenhall's absence - with one or the other rushing for more than 100 yards in three straight games - and Mendenhall was dropped to third in the depth chart after he coughed up the ball in the first quarter against the Browns.

The Steelers (7-6) made Mendenhall inactive in a victory over Baltimore and last week's 34-24 loss at home to San Diego. Though the running game struggled - Dwyer led the Steelers with 32 yards - Tomlin said he had no plans to make a change as Pittsburgh heads into the final three weeks of the season.</span>

---
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,581 Posts
Tomlin is losing control and losing his mind. To bench his "named" starting running back because of one fumble, then to have every other running back fumble in the same game and not "punish" them is crazy.

Tomlin is running a "rule by fear" management style. He will get nowhere in the rest of the regular season and the playoffs are a pie in the sky dream.

Tomlin has proven he can't run a football team at this point in his coaching career. Time to move on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,634 Posts
Mendenhall has proven his tendency to fumble in the past. He also does to much dancing and not enough North/South running. He doesn't get tough yardage and goes down easy. Tomlin blaming it on the fumble is just an excuse to move him back, there's more going on here and the Steelers have wised up. Look for him to be traded or cut in the off-season,hopefully traded for some line depth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,798 Posts
Tomlin NEEDS to get these guys in line. Players were afraid of Cowher, too. They loved him to death, but there was no mistaking who was captain of his ship. As the team Cowher left him ages, we are beginning to see what Tomlin is made of. I believe Spinderella is a free agent this year. They might be able to trade his rights, but in any case, he won't be our problem much longer. Time for a real running back now. Le'Veon Bell from Mich State would be nice, but I am VERY happy with Dwyer and Redman.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
Sethwood said:
Tomlin is losing control and losing his mind. To bench his "named" starting running back because of one fumble, then to have every other running back fumble in the same game and not "punish" them is crazy.

Tomlin is running a "rule by fear" management style. He will get nowhere in the rest of the regular season and the playoffs are a pie in the sky dream.

Tomlin has proven he can't run a football team at this point in his coaching career. Time to move on.
I don't know what game you were watching that day but every runningback got benched the day they all fumbled. The last one because he got hurt on the same play. I don't mind a person questioning the coach but at least be accurate when doing so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,581 Posts
dennis h. said:
I don't know what game you were watching that day but every runningback got benched the day they all fumbled.
That's my point. Way to build confidence in your RB's. You fumble one time...your out. Don't tell 'em to forget about the last fumble....next play remember the fundamentals, hold onto the ball, let's move this and do what we know.

Nah....just bench 'em one by one.

The freaking guy is nutz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,798 Posts
Ole' Raspy said:
I think, there is much more to this, then being put out to the public....
I do too. Knowing Spinderella's issues controlling his mouth, this may well have been a long time coming. Now that he's pretty much useless, Tomlin has nothing to lose by suspending him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I was told, he didn't show up to the SD game because he was mad they deactivated him again. Not sure if that is true or not but I recall the announcer mentioning his deactivation but they never showed him on camera when they did.


After doing a little checking myself, it seems that was the case. He took his ball and went home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,571 Posts
Buckethead said:
From what I was told, he didn't show up to the SD game because he was mad they deactivated him again. Not sure if that is true or not but I recall the announcer mentioning his deactivation but they never showed him on camera when they did.


After doing a little checking myself, it seems that was the case. He took his ball and went home.
Wonder if he dropped it on the way?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,388 Posts
Danesdad said:
Buckethead said:
From what I was told, he didn't show up to the SD game because he was mad they deactivated him again. Not sure if that is true or not but I recall the announcer mentioning his deactivation but they never showed him on camera when they did.


After doing a little checking myself, it seems that was the case. He took his ball and went home.
Wonder if he dropped it on the way?
......Yea, twice....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,798 Posts
Yeah. Tomlin finally got tough and suspended a third stringer who won't even play the rest of the season. WTG!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,160 Posts
Danesdad said:
Are you certain he wont play any more this year?
In this weeks game notes, he's listed as #3. That could change. He does not play Special Teams, so I'd find it odd if they did activate him, just to leave him on the bench.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,632 Posts
After basically quitting in his teammates, does he really derserve to play again?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,571 Posts
Well, the fact that he is the most talented of the RBs makes that "quitting on his team" thingy easier to overlook.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,632 Posts
That discussion was about all the guys on The Fan were talking about this week. From the callers, I'd say there was a 50/50 split as to whether or not he "deserves" to play. I am leaning towards not. I question if he is willing to give it his all on the field any more. Someone interviewed him this week and asked him about his antics the last few weeks. Rmen acted like a total jerk.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top