The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that don't follow sports, Thomas Tull is a minority owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and billionaire is giving local Pittsburgh hospitals $4.2-million (yes....million) dollars to help hospitals that serve the poor and minority's who are hit the hardest by the COVID 19 virus.

OTOH, Billionaire Bob Nutting, 100% owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates has donated $50,000 (yes thousand) to the community food bank.

This is what separates the true "Givers" from the true "Takers" in our society.

No harm\no foul on those who don't like sports, billionaires, or even my factual example. It just is what it is.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hats off to Mr Till. I am constantly amazed the American public continues to spend billions of dollars to fund sports arenas and fields for billionaire sports owners and teams.Kinda like the Dems holding up the recent funding of financial help for the American public trying for additional funding to murder babies.We are some group!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The analogy to publically sponsored stadiums to other political abuse of funds is off base.

The presence of those teams and the cash they bring into the region is significant.

The 412 area code will make oodles of more money by having Heinz Field and the Steelers than if they did not. I bet if someone crunches the numbers, any public financed NFL stadium that in the end it was a good deal for the city.

I also believe the Pirates organization set up a substantial fund to pay the stadium workers something since the season was not happening in April and May.

Any gesture, big or small, by pro sports in their home town, should be thanked and welcomed.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The analogy to publically sponsored stadiums to other political abuse of funds is off base.

The presence of those teams and the cash they bring into the region is significant.

The 412 area code will make oodles of more money by having Heinz Field and the Steelers than if they did not. I bet if someone crunches the numbers, any public financed NFL stadium that in the end it was a good deal for the city.

I also believe the Pirates organization set up a substantial fund to pay the stadium workers something since the season was not happening in April and May.

Any gesture, big or small, by pro sports in their home town, should be thanked and welcomed.
Maybe not so much. Read this article and tell me you feel the same. https://www.pennlive.com/opinion/2018/09/pittsburgh_taxpayers_have_paid.html

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Throw in the convention center into.the discussion? Pittsburgh is such a go-to destination for conventions? Sheesh.

The parking lots, bars, resturants, hotels, and everything else see the Steelers as a cash cow. Which the NFL is. And the Penguins have how many consecutive sellouts?

Don't be fooled by some academic "expert" who has their own agenda on Pennlive. A PhD runs the WHO. You trust them?

Ask any business owner in the city what home games mean in terms of $$$.

People want entertainment. Goes back to gladiators in the Roman coliseium. Pro sports are the upper echelon of that.

Everyone benefits, and lots of people make a living off of it. If the Steelers wanted to move, how many cities would line up.to build them a palace?

It isnt for ego, you land that team, you get rich.

·
Registered
274 Posts
...Don't be fooled by some academic "expert" who has their own agenda on Pennlive. A PhD runs the WHO. You trust them?... .
This is a recurring theme these days distrust of our scientific community and when a piece of research doesn't agree with someone they say something to the effect "O well, that scientist/doctor has a secrete hidden agenda." These experts are just that experts. Listen to them learn from them and trust them! Science will get us out of this mess with as little loss as possible nothing else.

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
I think this was pointed out to highlight Nuttings relative cheapness compared to the basically unknown billionaire who gave much more. We've had nutting in Pittsburgh for years. We all know he's a cheapskate. Closer to the nickel than the buffalo. But, I'm sure the food bank was happy to get that 50 grr from Nutting and I bet they put it to good use. Far be it from me to defend Nutting, but I imagine he gave more than most people.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think this was pointed out to highlight Nuttings relative cheapness compared to the basically unknown billionaire who gave much more. We've had nutting in Pittsburgh for years. We all know he's a cheapskate. Closer to the nickel than the buffalo. But, I'm sure the food bank was happy to get that 50 grr from Nutting and I bet they put it to good use. Far be it from me to defend Nutting, but I imagine he gave more than most people.
While I agree he may have given more than any other one individual, I would bet that it was in the lower 5% of his income and compared to others as a % of income, he wouldn't be in the top 100.

The people of Pittsburgh will never have a competitive team as long as Nutting own's the Pirates. If the fans would simply boycott the games for a few years ownership might just change for the better. It certainly couldn't change for the worse.

There's nothing like competitive baseball. And in Pittsburgh that's what we have had for years......nothing competitive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts