The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Here's a memo to Diontae Johnson - while you may not like your contract in comparison to other WR, you still are bound to it for another season.

While the risk of injury is there, if you want a big payday here or elsewhere the best path there is to get as many reps as possible with these new QBs and build some chemistry, so you can go have a 100-1400-12 kind of season.

Sitting out practices won't get ya there.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
With Metcalf and Samuel getting huge extensions from the Seahawks and Niners, you can bet Johnson will have his demands set in stone now.

I have very hard time seeing the Steelers pay a WR $20M+ per year. And with the franchise tag for WR at $18.4M (and sure to go up in 2023), this will probably be his last season here.

If that. Would not be shocked if a trade happens. Without an extension he'll be a problem in the locker room.

Think about it, who is that veteran leader on the offensive side of the ball? No one. The few OL with some years are new to the team. If Diontae starts to pout, is Mitch or Mason gonna straighten him out? Hardly.

I understand every person tries to get as much as they can. But these athletes under contract who now do these "hold ins", I don't agree.

What message does that send to the other players? Oh, he's "here" because he doesn't want fined, but does the stretches and a few drills then watches? Guess Diontae (or Deebo or DK) is in charge, not the coach.

And you know what? I think most coaches get it. I bet most of them, having a player in that situation, would have a closed door discussion and say look, I get it. Tell you what, you be a "full participant" and we'll greatly limit your reps to minimize your injury risk while your people talk with the club. But let's not make this a media circus.

Ot course, these Diva WRs love the media circus.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Former Steeler James Washington breaks foot at Cowboys training camp. Jerry's Kids are now exceptionally thin at WR.

Would you offer them Johnson for their 2023 #1?
That sure is an interesting thought. Cowboys not in our division or conference, so he wouldn't bite us in the butt. New Steelers WR's ready to step up, maybe? The Cowboys would probably end up picking at the middle of the pack. Would the Steelers having only one year of control of DJ be a hinderance to a trade? I don't know, but if he's going to be a malcontent, sure I'd do that trade. Would the Cowboys do it?

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
A compromise deal. Light on total dollars, heavy on the guaranteed part, at least for the Steelers, shorter duration. DJ took a bit less in order to hit FA sooner.

And unless he beats up a gal (or tranny) or gets caught with a kilo of coke, he'll see all that money. They ain't cutting him in a year.

Glad the drama is done with.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Let the hysteria begin - gotta play Kenny!

Saw the game in snippets, thought all three QBs did a good job. Its the pre-season, I think Seattle will have a rough year.

Let's hope what we saw was a New Mitch after a year backing up Allen and working with Daboll. He's not Lamar, but he has some real athleticism.

And how about that dime Mason dropped on Pickens?

Last but not least, a fine debut for Pickett. Yes, against backups but a good first step.

A lot of people seem to think if Rudolph does well in preseason he's trade bait. I don't know. Do you roll into the season with two rookies and Mitch?

I certainly don't do that for a 6th or 7th round pick. You get offered a 5th rounder, think about it.

Or you just roll with Mitch, Mason, and Kenny, put the kid you took in the 7th on the practice squad, and let Mason go UFA at season's end.

Or if Pickett comes on, trade Mitch, Mason is your new Cliff Stoudt career backup (not a bad gig) and you keep a young, raw guy as #3.

While none of the three were spectacular, all three were very solid which is a good situation to have for preseason game one.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
I watched the entire game. All 3 QB's looked good to me. More importantly to me, the O-line did better and even executed good run blocking when called upon to do so. That will be a BIG key to success this season.
The D they had in for the second half left much to be desired. Some of those guys may have played themselves out of jobs. But overall, I was somewhat surprised with the effort and enthusiasm that the entire team showed. You could see they wanted to win and were playing to impress people. That may have been the most spirited pre-season game that I've seen in a while. How about the hit on the final play of the game? Boom! Pretty entertaining with results to be satisfied with.

I say Trubisky, Rudolph and Pickett all stay on in some capacity TBD.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I wonder how many t-shirt vendors have stockpiles of $20 "kenny kenny" shirts? That's gonna be chanted every time the offense doesn't produce this season and Pickett sits the bench.

Brian Flores brings a lot of energy to the sideline. Hopefully he'll coach the players & get 'em fired up more than stoic Tomlin does. Tomlin is mostly emotionless, like Chuck Noll lately. Flores was a great pickup IMHO.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My thoughts, and this from a Pitt alumni....

I'll start with Pickett: Generally nice first showing. Showed a fair amount of poise. If he had butterflies it wasn't evident. Nice timing and touch on the short passes. But that's pretty much all we saw, no deep balls, no out routes. Not sure he was able to go through his reads and progressions, before checking down or scrambling. His mobility did keep drives alive. The sacks he took at deep in his own end and near the end of the game were lessons learned. The first sack pins our punter with his heels on end line. Not good. Had there not been a forced fumble and Steeler recovery, that second sack, loosing 8 yards, puts them in a position to lose the game. All in all, way more good than bad, and a great start, but nowhere enough to form an opinion. Needs some reps with the first team and game time against a first team defense at some point. I don't see that happening soon.

Rudolph: Nice TD pass to Pickens. Other than that, same old Rudolph. Looks awkward, not much mobility. Other than the touchdown pass to Pickens, he didn't help himself much. I think Pickett maybe showed enough to pass him on the depth chart.

Trubisky: When I first saw him play for the Bears, I thought he was the real deal. Not sure if they ruined him, or just set him back. As for last night's game, not bad, about what I expected. Nice mobility. Looks a bit rusty. At least he made some downfield throws. Nice touchdown pass, but into a blown coverage.

Running Game: McFarland looked great. Was very happy to see that. I think he's a step closer to securing a roster spot moving forward. Warren looked great. He's a small guy with a lot of grit. In general, there was a lot to like there with the O-line and the backs.

Receivers: Pickens... Wow!!!! He's the real deal. Nice field awareness and footwork on the TD catch. Olzewski looked good. We'll see if he ends up being more than special teams guy.

Defense: In general, I saw nothing I liked, other than maybe Norwood. Bush, again conspicuous by his absence. The other linebackers not any better, with the possible exception of Jack. That being said, since there was no playing time for Watt, Highsmith, Fitzpatrick, who knows what we really have as a defensive unit.

Special Teams: Really nice punt return by Sims, and I thought kickoff and punt coverages were pretty good. So not bad at all.

Much yet to be determined. Time will tell. At least the game wasn't the typical pre-season slog-fest you normally see. It was a fun game to watch.

·
Registered
23,316 Posts
- I dont see how McFarland isn't Najees backup this year.

- Pickett looked good, but his throws were (except the last one) Rothlisberger type passes. He definitely adds a dimension with his legs. Looking forward to seeing how he progresses.

-Trubisky. About what I expected.

-Defense. The good news is, most of the main starters didn't play. But the backups looked soft on the run. I remind myself that Seattles guys were trying to impress as well.

WRs- If this group improves from here, I dont think we'd notice if Dionte was gone. (reply to earlier post: I'd trade Dallas Dionte for their first round pick TODAY).

·
Registered
12,389 Posts
Looking forward for the game tonight. Think Pickett still has a lot to learn but you can just tell the guy is a gamer . Watching him in limited action last week really gave me confidence in the fact that he will be our future starting QB for many years to come and he is going to be well above average. Maybe not Hall of Fame caliber but good enough to provide many exciting seasons and win the Super Bowl someday.
Another thing about the QB play with Trubisky and Pickett is their athleticism . It was unbearable seeing Ben in uniform. The guy always looked like he just came from a cookout where he was eating cheeseburgers and potato salad all day . I don’t think Bens poor conditioning was brought up nearly enough the last few years .I understand he was getting old and had injuries but you could tell he wasn’t conditioning like he should be in the off-season.
Anyhow I think the Steelers are going to be competitive again and look for them to take a big step forward next season . They got to start focusing on getting some young defensive lineman in the next couple years .

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Ben was a great QB. But his time is done and it’s time to move on. Seeing mobile qb play last week was nice. Seeing decent oline play was even nicer. But the biggest thing that I took from last week was more enthusiastic play than I’ve seen from them in a while. I am certainly not planning on buying my SB tickets. But maybe I do have a bit more hope than I did a couple months ago. As always, we will see how it goes.

I too, look forward to watching the game tonight and I haven’t been able to say that about a preseason game for a while now.

·
Registered
12,389 Posts
Pittsburgh all the sudden has a Quarterback controversy. I know this is just preseason but Pickett is proving to be the best of the bunch . I just don’t know how anyone can see it differently. I know it’s early but he looks beyond his years at the position.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
A word of caution for Kenny Mania, in the preseason the defenses are more vanilla than the real games.

More of the less experienced guys are in there and coordinators don't want to break out the top-shelf stuff.

Kenny is doing very well, for sure. Seems to have a real bright future.

So did Devin Bush for a handful of games.

But at least Kenny's not suckin'!!

1 - 20 of 380 Posts