The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
161 - 180 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Matt Corral will be long gone, and Malik Wills out of Liberty? Please. Saw what he did against upper echelon team.

Kenny Pickett? Sam Howell? Sure.......

Doesn't matter. Until this staff is purged, they will be like Penn State. Middle of the pack, an upset big win on some occasions, and zero chance against the elite teams.

Few last as long as Belichick, and if he didn't have Brady for 20 years he wouldn't have either. Probably same said for Brady.

Tomlin was handed a good team with an established franchise QB. Period. Most new coaches don't get that.

Think.Tomlin and this staff would have the Jags any better than Spermban Meyer does?

So long as Heinz is sold out, not sure this generation of Rooneys is any different than Nuttings.

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
Every year you get at least one "Tomlin special", and today was the day. Poor play, poor coaching, and a vastly inferior team rolls them. At home no less.

No idea why they haven't tried harder to find a future QB, doesn't anybody in the Steelers organization remember the void between Bradshaw and Ben?

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Every year you get at least one "Tomlin special", and today was the day. Poor play, poor coaching, and a vastly inferior team rolls them. At home no less.

No idea why they haven't tried harder to find a future QB, doesn't anybody in the Steelers organization remember the void between Bradshaw and Ben?
This organization had a 1st round grade on Rudolph…let that sink in….

I sure don’t trust this team with assessing and drafting another franchise QB…

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Who are these people & can we have them stripped is citizenship & deported?
There are many media types, both local and national who feel this way.

As I’ve said, plenty of people have become obsessed with this perceived need for “mobile” QBs, in large part due to how they are propped up and promoted by networks and analysts for ratings.

Lamar Jackson, Micheal Vick, Cam Newton, Kyler Murray, Donovan McNabb. What did/have they won, championship wise? But they are “exciting” to watch and are good for TV and so people have been convinced that they “need” one of these type of QBs on their team.

Look at the Super Bowl winning QBs from the last 20 years:

Kurt Warner
Trent Dilfer
Tom Brady
Brad Johnson
Tom Brady
Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisberger
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Eli Manning
Joe Flacco
Russel Wilson
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Nick Foles
Tom Brady
Patrick Mahomes
Tom Brady

NOW, show me all these Lamar/Vick types in that list that everybody just has to have. People will point to Wilson and Mahommes as being “mobile” but they are pocket passers first, that have great ability to scramble and extend plays, something Ben was elite at early in his career. But guys like Brady, both the Mannings, Joe freaking Flacco, we’re never mobile in any shape or form.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
That was painful to watch. Rudolph was not good, the O-line was not good, the receivers were not good, Bush was a turnstile, Fitzpatrick wasn't much better, even TJ, with the exception of the sack where he got hurt, was pretty invisible. I wonder if Najee is still happy he got drafted by the Steelers? I'd had hate to be him running that line. He'll take three years worth of beatings this season. I don't think we all have any illusions that the Steelers are any good. We shouldn't have any illusions that the O-line is improving either. Not to mention poor game planning, poor coaching of technique (basic blocking, tackling, ball security.) It's a dumpster fire.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Reports Watt and Hayden out, and now Lamar is out with illness vs Da Bears.

Gotta pound the rock tonite. I think Najee and the RBs need to play big role for Steelers to win. Rush it enough, maybe some little outlet passes. I dont have as much hope for a Ben-centric offense.

Its obvious strategy, but I think the Chargers can be had by slamming it right at them. Maybe Derek Watt sees some more snaps.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Despite the Chargers efforts to force the Steelers to win that game, they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Beyond idiotic for the Chargers to go for it that deep in their own territory.

And those 3 points the Steelers didn't take early, getting cute on 4th and goal and getting stuffed, turned out to be pretty big. If they only need a FG to retake the lead late, changes dynamics of the play calling.

And is it me, or does Devin Bush look like he has no business on an NFL field?

6-10-1 is definitely on the table. They'll stagger into one win, but look at remaining schedule and tell me which games you'd bet them to win right now.

Undertalented and outcoached is the theme.

·
Registered
22,862 Posts
No it's not you he just cannot play. He was a total waste of a lot of draft capital. I will be surprised if the steelers even pick up his fifth year option.
I wonder if his knee is still bothering/limiting him? Either way, this team will never win as long as they get run on like this.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
They reached on Bush because they were desperate to find a replacement for Shazier. Problem is, Bush can’t hold Ryan’s jockstrap and was a major waste of draft assets.

And they were getting gashed in the tub game even when Watt was in there. Run stopping isn’t his primary role, it’s the interior line that is so lacking in depth and are getting mauled over and over again. Heyward is a beast but he can’t do it all.

On the O line, Green is a joke right now, repeatedly getting driven back off the line like he was a shopping cart.

SO, the two most important areas in football, your offensive and defensive lines, are a major problem for the Steelers and this is what you end up with. Add in the terrible play calling, game management, and over lack of leadership from the coaching staff, and you get what you see.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
I have to say this about Green - he played mostly guard in college, did he not? I recall that discussion when the Steelers drafted their "center" in the 3rd round.

While I was never a lineman, in Pee Wee football everyone learns what a 3-point stance is, a 4-point stance.

Now they take a guy who is used to "firing out" on run plays and being able to set up immediately on pass plays and change him to having to snap the ball first, often in shotgun formation. Against some of the quickest and strongest dudes there are in that interior D-line.

And that was the strategy to replace Pouncey.

I just don't think its trivial to slide from guard to center. Besides the pulling aspect, I think it might be easier to switch in the other direction, from center to guard.

Its an adjustment for any rookie to be a starter in the NFL, let alone in a position that was not their primary position in college. So I am willing to give the kid some time.

I have seen him knock some people around. Would not be a shocker if they should happen to be able to get a center that Green slides over to guard again at some point down the road. Or, maybe after a baptism of fire year, Green fixes some of that tendency to be the "shopping cart" (that's a great analogy).

But I agree the biggest issues may not be on the field, to put it lightly!

161 - 180 of 214 Posts