The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
141 - 160 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it starts at the top. The lack of focus, lack of preparation, lack of accountability and lack of discipline all starts at the top and this team has one of the worst, if not the worst, coaching staff in the league.

I tire of hearing people say things like “did Tomlin throw that INT? Did Tomlin take that penalty? Did Tomlin run that route wrong? Did Tomlin miss that tackle?”. He’s the head coach of this team and it IS his responsibility to make sure the team is prepared and on point each week, yet time and time again we witness a listless ship of a team tripping over their own feet.

And I know it won’t, but I wish, I hope, that this game shuts up the “Put Rudolph in because Ben sucks” crowd. Oh the excuses will be made there Rudolph didn’t have Claypool or injuries to the O line, blah, blah, blah, but today’s game once again illuminated the fact that Rudolph has a weak arm (except when he decided to Brett Favre it at DJ when he didn’t have to), and is in no way, shape or from a “better” QB than Ben is right now, so SHUT UP about it.

This team has some absolutely DUMB players. WRs who consistently run wrong routes, can’t break tackles, drop the ball way too often. Secondary players who can’t cover, can’t make interceptions, can’t (or won’t) tackle. A young, inexperienced O line that is starting to get better but still struggling and dealing with penalty issues. Devin Bush, who the Steelers gave up quite a bit to move up and get, yet he’s constantly making the wrong decisions and struggles mightily in coverage.

But hey, the Steelers will probably finish 8-8-1 and everyone can slobber over Mikey not having a losing season…

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Rudolph is definitely not better than Ben. He floats the ball too much and seems to overthrow receivers consistently.
Ben may be at the end of his career and be considered a “has been” but Rudolph is a “never has been” and likely never will be…

Never forget that people thought that Landry Jones was the future of the team and wanted Ben benched for him. Remember when the Steelers got rid of Jones? Remember all the teams who fought each other tooth and claw to get him? Yeah, me neither…

I swear, people have become so enamored with the high school/college/Lamar Jackson/Kyler Murray style of play that they totally look past the fact that pocket passer play at the NFL level is still what wins championships…

I remember all the moaning about Ben’s arm being shot and how all he could throw was short/quick passes, yet I saw Mason’s star line pop up at one point today and he had 15 or 16 completions for less than 100 yards. And I KNOW, at 38 years old, I can throw a deep ball with more zip and flatter trajectory than Rudy. His throws are consistently floaters, at all ranges, almost as if his main objective is to try to get the DPI call instead of a completed pass…

I mean, I’ll criticize Ben when he warrants it but the hatred and disregard by so many for everything he has done for this franchise over the years (including saving Tomlin’s bacon soooo many times) is mind boggling to me. All the blame for this completely inept offense has been placed directly on him over the past two seasons. The poor line play, WRs running wrong routes and dropping balls, terrible playcalling, stupid penalties, etc have all been swept under the rug so that “old, washed up, has been” Ben gets all the blame.

Another prime example of the terrible play calling occurred today when they had a first and goal at the 5 and Najee never touched the ball once. 3 straight passes for Rudolph and the FG. Why? How?

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 · (Edited)
Up to the coaches to put players, especially a last minute switch to a backup QB with limited experience, into a position to succeed.

Wont annoint nor vilify Rudolph. He likely got a text from Ben with the story and it ended with "turn on ESPN". He showed he can run, and threw a few nice balls on the rollout.

With Harris getting chunks, where is the offensive genius Canada to fake that, roll him out for easy toss to a TE? Noooo. They love the sideline go routes on 3rd and 4.

To Smurfs. Johnson and Washington are not Claypool.

Butler sucks as much as Randy Feces did. Detroit ran all over them in first half and what happens to start the second half?

But dont dare criticize Tomlin. You are racist if you do.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Well, I think the Ben COVID protocol is BS. I think the gamble was to give Ben a needed week off to assist in him healing his aches, while thinking they could beat Detroit with anyone at QB. Almost worked. But we didn’t have “anyone”…we had Rudolph.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Up to the coaches to put players, especially a last minute switch to a backup QB with limited experience, into a position to succeed.

Wont annoint nor vilify Rudolph. He likely got a text from Ben with the story and it ended with "turn on ESPN". He showed he can run, and threw a few nice balls on the rollout.

With Harris getting chunks, where is the offensive genius Canada to fake that, roll him out for east toss to a TE? Noooo. They love the sideline go routes on 3rd and 4.

To Smurfs. Johnson and Washington are not Claypool.

Butler sucks as much as Randy Feces did. Detroit ran all over them in first half and what happens to start the second half?

But dont dare criticize Tomlin. You are racist if you do.
Dionte is quick (similar to AB though not nearly as talented), but (also much like AB) he had a penchant for running wrong routes, breaking them off to soon or too late, and has had his issues with drops. He is also very contact averse and is easily tackled, many times by one hand.

Claypool has potential but he has actually regressed this year. The whole “Mapletron” moniker he received last year and the comparisons to Calvin Johnson were way overblown and ridiculous. He needs to win more 50/50 balls and find ways to get himself open.

JuJu is gone next year so he doesn’t matter anymore.

Washington is a great 4th WR with potential to be a 3 but he isn’t featured enough to see how much potential.

Ray Ray is the dumbest receiver on the team and possibly the dumbest player on the team. He lacks situational awareness, is too cocky, and has terrible ball security. This translates over to special teams as well. Teams intentionally kickoff short, daring him to play hero and try to run it back.

The TE pool leaves a lot to be desired as well. Ebron has all the physical gifts but his hands are terrible and he’s another player that is just plain dumb. Muth has potential but he’s undersized to be featured. Gentry is what he is.

The RB pool? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The O line? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Players on D that can hit the road? Edmunds, Bush, Wormley, and I’m getting real impatient with Fitzpatrick. Mr All World ballhawk hasn’t been doing squat lately in regards to Tomlin’s “splash plays”, and his tackling is something to be desired.

This team is in trouble, not just this season but for many to come…

141 - 160 of 214 Posts