The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1061 - 1079 of 1079 Posts

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
He's on the hook for the 5th year at roughly $10M and change, and they would likely decide to franchise tag him next year. Then the huge TV money bump hits. Unlikely they'd tag him twice.

Depends if he can live with two years and about $28M guaranteed and hope he doesn't get major injury. He'd break the bank in 2023.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I always take an in depth look at the business aspect of pro sports as well. I’m not one of those “just pay the man” type fans who think they teams can just throw crazy money around at one or two players b cause they’re good.

And Watt is “good”. Could he be GREAT? Possibly. Has he shown enough to warrant being the highest paid defensive player in the league? I don’t think so…

Watt was at his best when Dupree finally developed and was wreaking havoc on the other side. It’s only natural and it makes sense that with two guys that can get after the QB, teams have to pick and choose who and when to double team, freeing up one or the other to do their thing. This was illustrated during JuJu’s breakout year. AB was drawing double and triple coverage and it frees up JuJu all over the field to rack up yardage and TDs. Was/is JuJu as good as that season made him out to be? I personally don’t think so. He was in a great situation and made the most of it but he isn’t nearly as effective without an all world talent drawing coverage away from him…

This is why I’m reluctant to throw a dump truck of money at Watt. This will be his first full year without Dupree on the other side, we don’t yet know if Highsmith can fill Dupree’s shoes, AND Watt doesn’t have a history of showing up in big games, during big moments. No doubt they Watt and his agent are well aware of this, as is Colbert, and that is why the situation is where it is. Watt wants a guaranteed money deal right now, before his number potentially nosedive without Dupree, and Colbert is reluctant to tie up a huge chunk of the salary cap without seeing what Watt can do with the current roster.

It’s the game within the game in pro sports today. It is what it is. I have been very upfront with my displeasure with some of the decisions that management has made over the years, keeping guys like Troy and Farrior around well past their primes and paying them way too much money, but at least Troy has a knack for making big plays in big games. Watt has yet to do that…

Of course, in all fairness, he needs to actually make it to more big games in order to prove himself. Mike Tomlin takes care of that problem for him…

·
Registered
22,482 Posts
It only makes sense to have him play out his rookie contract and go from there. I wonder how having no contact all camp will affect his play when the real games start?

·
Registered
22,482 Posts
Well, he practiced with the team yesterday. So, I guess that is a good sign. I suspect nothing will get done anytime soon, maybe not all year.

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
Ian Rappaport is reporting a 4 year deal with Watt worth 112 million and 80 guaranteed. Highest paid defensive player in history of NFL.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Ian Rappaport is reporting a 4 year deal with Watt worth 112 million and 80 guaranteed. Highest paid defensive player in history of NFL.
Looks like he got what he wanted . I think the deal would of been better for the Steelers if it was that amount for 5 or 6 years which was what I was expecting. At least we will have him in his prime.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Looks like he got what he wanted. I think the deal would have been better for the Steelers if it was that amount for 5 or 6 years, which was what I was expecting. At least we will have him in his prime.
I saw the same report. I’m wary of Rapaport’s reporting because he seems more focused on reporting things first.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Watt resigned check.
Ravens injury bug creeping in Check.
And the browns, well they are the browns.

Reactions: Big Lew

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Watt resigned check.
Ravens’ injury bug creeping in check.
And the Browns, well they are the Browns.
While I can’t stand the Ravens, I don’t want to see season ending injuries to their players.

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
I saw the same report. I’m wary of Rapaport’s reporting because he seems more focused on reporting things first.
I believe this report though because on the nightly sports call last night Bob Pompeani stated that his sources who are close to the team were reporting a similar story. Otherwise, I'd be right with you.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I believe this report though because on the nightly sports call last night Bob Pompeani stated that his sources who are close to the team were reporting a similar story. Otherwise, I'd be right with you.
Apparently Watt bypassed his agent and agreed to the deal. The agent was pushing for more guaranteed money.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
From what I can glean from media reports, $80M of the $112M is guaranteed for injury, performance, or future cap reductions. Barring catastrophic injury, I don't think he'll fall off far enough to ever say dang, we messed up in signing this guy.

He goes Deshaun on it and pervs out, or signs on to the Ray Rice School of Dating, he could lose those guarantees. Don't expect that, of course, but it does provide the Steelers some protection.

I found the four years to be the main compromise. Steelers went a bit outside their norm with some future "guarantees", but the total value of the contract and guarantees was less than Garrett's deal with Cleveland. Highest average value designation? Just a way to spin it to make the player's and agent's egos feel good.

He'll only be 30 when the deal expires. If he stays healthy and elite, both sides can work to extend again. Or, he can hit UFA before his age becomes an even bigger concern. Sets him up well for that third contract.

So in that regard, seems like a deal both sides can be satisfied with.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Surprising win today. Hopefully the o-line gels soon. Thank God for the D and special teams efforts!
Very surprised they won, especially after the first half. The kick coverage on the opening kickoff was horrible. The blocked punt was huge. I was surprised to see that UG3 was even active. Glad to see him be part of such a big play.

Great TD catch by Johnson!

Heyward had a monster game.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Impressive comeback win and completely unexpected.

BUT, yet ANOTHER sluggish, slow, plodding start from the offense…

Can’t keep doing that against top teams.

·
Super Moderator
13,867 Posts
Funny when the Steelers finally started making something other than short passes and starting targeting the wide receivers and tight ends down field the Steelers scoring started.......Also a great game on the part of the defense holding the Bulls to only 16 points and putting egg on the face of the majority of the sports writers who chimed in on the odds makers 6.5 odds in favor of last years runner up to the Super Bowl.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Funny when the Steelers finally started making something other than short passes and starting targeting the wide receivers and tight ends down field the Steelers scoring started.......Also a great game on the part of the defense holding the Bills to only 16 points and putting egg on the face of the majority of the sports writers who chimed in on the odds makers 6.5 odds in favor of last years runner up in the AFC.
The Bills were stacking the box most of the game. I don’t think the offensive line was protecting well enough to try the longer passes in the first half.

I was really happy to see the Ravens lose to the Raiders.

1061 - 1079 of 1079 Posts