The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1001 - 1020 of 1024 Posts

·
Registered
22,072 Posts
I suspect that is true. If he plays again, it wont be anytime soon. I feel like the weakest position group on the team just got weaker.

·
4,301 Posts
DeCastro stated in an interview that he had to have ankle surgery again and that last year's surgery was unsuccessful. When asked if he was going to retire he said he would see how he felt but "had no problem" walking away.

Trai Turner is a 5 time Pro Bowler but is a few years removed from that status. He is only 28 and while I didn't see the number probably came at a bargain since he missed time last year with a goin injury that he says he is 100% recovered from.

I think I read that with the release of DeCastro and the salary savings they were sitting near $15M in total cap space.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
DeCastro stated in an interview that he had to have ankle surgery again and that last year's surgery was unsuccessful. When asked if he was going to retire he said he would see how he felt but "had no problem" walking away.

Trai Turner is a 5 time Pro Bowler but is a few years removed from that status. He is only 28 and while I didn't see the number probably came at a bargain since he missed time last year with a goin injury that he says he is 100% recovered from.

I think I read that with the release of DeCastro and the salary savings they were sitting near $15M in total cap space.
I remember when the Steelers drafted DeCastro. They were sorely in need of offensive linemen but he was expected to be long gone by the time they drafted. They were expected to take Donta Hightower but when DeCastro was available, they drafted him.

I think Turner is a temporary player for them. I think this could be a big year for established vets being cut in preseason. I could be wrong. There are still a lot of free agents available and teams want to see what they have in camp and preseason before signing more guys. There will be some inevitable injuries from camp and preseason which will necessitate signing those FAs.

The Steelers have some real depth questions at offensive line, OLB, CB, and S. I expect them to sign a FA or two and they almost always sign someone after final cuts who was cut from another team.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
For those bloggers out there that suggested Richard Sherman might be a good fit for Mike Tomlin, turns out they were right!

Sherm spent the night in jail on a domestic charge. He wrecked his car while drunk, then was later the subject of a 911 call at his in-laws house.

Radio station in Seattle got the audio of the call. Wife said he was drunk, trying to break in, and threatening to hang himself.

When the cops arrived, they used their Social Worker sensitivity training to try to talk him off the ledge. But when they said he was under arrest he started to take off. They turned the K-9 dog loose and it quickly ran him down.

Clearly Richard no longer has the speed to be an effective shut-down corner. On the bright side, Jon Gruden and Urban Meyer both offered a contract to the dog, who is a UFA. Reports from the North Shore say Kevin Colbert is working on a ten year extension for Big Ben, to provide some "cap flexibility" with the hopes of signing the dog. Defensive coordinator Keith Butler said the dog checks all the boxes, he'd be a shut-down corner the likes the Black and Gold haven't seen since Rod Woodson.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
For those bloggers out there that suggested Richard Sherman might be a good fit for Mike Tomlin, turns out they were right!

Sherm spent the night in jail on a domestic charge. He wrecked his car while drunk, then was later the subject of a 911 call at his in-laws house.

Radio station in Seattle got the audio of the call. Wife said he was drunk, trying to break in, and threatening to hang himself.

When the cops arrived, they used their Social Worker sensitivity training to try to talk him off the ledge. But when they said he was under arrest he started to take off. They turned the K-9 dog loose and it quickly ran him down.

Clearly Richard no longer has the speed to be an effective shut-down corner. On the bright side, Jon Gruden and Urban Meyer both offered a contract to the dog, who is a UFA. Reports from the North Shore say Kevin Colbert is working on a ten year extension for Big Ben, to provide some "cap flexibility" with the hopes of signing the dog. Defensive coordinator Keith Butler said the dog checks all the boxes, he'd be a shut-down corner the likes the Black and Gold haven't seen since Rod Woodson.
The dog would have to wear special cleats and pads. Also he wouldn’t be effective in Cleveland where the fans throw dog biscuits and bones on the field. I also think that biting is a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and automatic ejection from the game.

(We need a sarcasm font on this website).

·
Registered
4,109 Posts

Anyone else have concerns about the culture that seems to permeate this team?

Sorry, don't care what the (distant) past record says, this coaching staff needs to go.

Undisciplined, unprepared, underperforming, and very unlikable is this recent version of the Team Formerly Known as The Steelers.

You are a highly paid, public eye figure. Not some frustrated people on Hunting PA or some other obscure, anonymous forum.

Big mistake to trade up to get this punk, he'll fizzle this year. Cocky, and aint done much. Comes from a program with same attitude.

Enjoy the last year or two of TJ Watt. He's outta here, for less money if thats what it takes.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Edge rushing depth with the addition of Melvin Ingram on a one-year deal.

49 career sacks. See if he can stay healthy.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Various reports say $4M deal, and Steelers just announced signing of backup OT Chaz Green, a former 3rd round pick.

Probably about $7M or so of cap space left, roughly.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Some of the beat writers were pushing to get an extension done with Fitzpatrick or Watt with the rest of that cap space.

Factoring in their current salaries and spreading out the signing bonus, one might be able to be fit in.

Steven Nelson remains unsigned. The longer that goes, better the odds that he'd come back on a one-year deal. Depending on how that breakup went behind closed doors.

Don't have optimism on Watt. While the reports of a "blowup" in his exit interview were refuted, too much noise there to completely dismiss the idea of a frustrated player. Then you had JJ commenting on the TickTok culture of the team, and now Heyward scolding Bush for his social media bizzareness.

JJ made enough dough for the whole family. TJ could play it out, even a year under the tag, and cash in big time when the 2023 TV money kicks in. Purely from a business perspective, he should not sign an extension. And then if its not a good fit for him culture-wise, well then, he's gone.

I think the Steelers know this as do all the agents. Steelers can't tag them both. I would think Fitzpatrick would extend first, safeties are not the precious commodities edge rushers are. In terms of the "betting on themselves", Watt is in a much better situation to wait.

The focus will turn soon enough to the creaky old QB. Brady aside, Brees and Manning and Favre got ugly when they got up there in years. The Broncos won a SB not because Manning won it, he had enough smarts not to lose it.

This Steeler team has too many question marks to overcome a one dimensional QB who throws the ball two yards downfield. Not unless Najee Harris runs for 2000 yards and 26 TDs.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Wow. Wonder what's the back story on that one?

On the eve of training camp, perhaps he decided that he just didn't have the right motivation to keep going. Gotta say he always played hard IMHO.

Some fans may be upset it came at this time. But, never having played ILB in the NFL, the havoc that has to put on the body I cannot imagine. Maybe a guy just wakes up at 4AM and thinks, I just can't do this anymore.

1001 - 1020 of 1024 Posts