The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
981 - 1000 of 1024 Posts

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
That was 2 years ago... I’m talking about this year coming up m. A lot has changed in NFL and AFC North. And you read that about Ben because of his elbow injury and surgery. Now if Rodgers, Wilson, Jackson had the same injury and surgery you might hear that more about them. Also fact that he is 39. Not too many people worried about Wilson and Jackson’s age. If Ben’s healthy I don’t think get swept but I do think they could finish last in the division.
I really don’t think the Steelers have declined enough to finish behind the Bengals, who are a lousy team and a horrible franchise.

My point about the other QBs is if they’re out for the year (for any season ending injury, not just the one Ben had) like Ben was, they wouldn’t be contenders because the difference between their starting and their backup QBs is huge.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Hey, Ben gets hurt, they are in trouble. I think we have been saying that for almost 20 off seasons now.

·
Banned
769 Posts
Hey, Ben gets hurt, they are in trouble. I think we have been saying that for almost 20 off seasons now.
I think he’s going to get hurt this year due to elbow, but mostly the horrible o line. Unless just quick short passes again. 39, not as mobile, poor o line not going to be good. I hope I’m wrong I want to see him go out on high note Atleast a playoff spot but not too sure will happen.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
He may, in fact, get hurt. I do not know. But, if they miss the playoffs, I think it will be more likely due to the quality of the rest of the division, rather than Ben getting injured. Heck, maybe both things will cause that.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
With a nod to Jerry Glanville, in the Not For Long league every season is different.

We suspect the O-line will be a problem. It might end up pretty good, we just don't know at this point.

Some new blood in the line, the addition of Harris, and a new OC might turn the run game into a force. Not saying they go worst to first on the ground, but do they need to?

What if the run game is right in the middle of the pack? With their receivers and a veteran QB, a rushing attack ranked 15th might be all you need.

Things clearly got stale last year and they got figured out. Either couldn't or wouldn't adjust.

Whether that's on the coaching, lack of talent, or players not buying in, only those inside really know. We'll find out soon enough.

With a line in flux, good to have the extra preseason game. Give the guys they signed and drafted more reps. Decastro doesn't need as much, rest him and play the newbies.

·
Banned
769 Posts
With a nod to Jerry Glanville, in the Not For Long league every season is different.

We suspect the O-line will be a problem. It might end up pretty good, we just don't know at this point.

Some new blood in the line, the addition of Harris, and a new OC might turn the run game into a force. Not saying they go worst to first on the ground, but do they need to?

What if the run game is right in the middle of the pack? With their receivers and a veteran QB, a rushing attack ranked 15th might be all you need.

Things clearly got stale last year and they got figured out. Either couldn't or wouldn't adjust.

Whether that's on the coaching, lack of talent, or players not buying in, only those inside really know. We'll find out soon enough.

With a line in flux, good to have the extra preseason game. Give the guys they signed and drafted more reps. Decastro doesn't need as much, rest him and play the newbies.
Their is one less preseason game this year? And one more regular season game. Unless Steelers got hof game

·
Registered
10,957 Posts

The O-line may be alright. Feiler and DeCastro will need to step it up from last year. Okorafor and Banner at tackles? If any of the new guys pan out it will be a plus. We'll see. I'm not ready to flush the unit down the toilet yet.

They don't need to lead the league in rushing. What they DO need is to be able to reliably pick up a short yardage first down when it is called for. And to be decent enough that opposing defenses need to at least respect their run game versus loading up to simply stop the short passes.

If the Steelers aren't capable of developing at least a respectable running game this year, then we are in for a long, long season that I am fearful may be the first losing campaign for Tomlin.

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
Guess Tunch Ilkin just announced his retirement. Can’t say I am not surprised. At the same time I find it really sad . Always enjoyed listening to him and he is a incredible person. Such a horrible disease.

·
4,301 Posts
Double sad for me. I liked Tunch and personally have seen what ALS can do to a person. My Dad passed away in 04 from it.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Steelers release Decastro! While he was an observer in minicamp, still did not see that one coming.

·
Super Moderator
13,717 Posts
While the exact details and reasons of DeCastro’s release are not done at this time, exactly how it affects the salary cap can be calculated. DeCastro carries a $5,547,500 dead-money hit with him being in the last year of his contract. But since DeCastro was the fourth-highest salary cap number the Steelers had for 2021 at the time of his release, the savings will still be significant. DeCastro’s $8.75 million base salary for 2021 is no longer on the books and does not count towards the Steelers’ salary cap.
But remember, we have to factor in the fact another player slides into the top 51 salaries for the Steelers. Carlos Davis was sitting outside of the top 51 contracts with a salary cap hit of $803,376. With that being the amount that comes into play, DeCastro’s ultimate salary cap savings is $7,946,624.

981 - 1000 of 1024 Posts