The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Steelers 2019/2020

42K views 891 replies 39 participants last post by  Backwoods 
#1 ·
Well might as well get it started guys,drama gone and back to normalcy. I like what i am seeing so far we look much faster on D. Bush going to be a nice player,WR look good also. Some tough cuts comming up at LB and safety. Still think they need a TE and hopefully they will get one after the cuts. I think Rudolph has solidfied his #2 spot and I may be crazy but I would trade Dobbs i think they could get a 5th for him and that Hodge kid theres something about him that i like,kid has no fear and looks like he can sling it. I hope he has a big game this last preseason game to keep them thinking,They keep saying he has no chance but i think the kid has a shot to make the team. My prediction is 11-5 and winning the Division and a #3 seed barring Ben going down.

#4 · (Edited)
I very much doubt they will trade Dobbs. He’s still on his rookie contract, plus he’s had very little game experience. He threw one good pass in a game where Ben was out for a series and completely stunk when Ben got hurt against the Raiders. He’s not very accurate either. I doubt any team would give up more than a 7th round pick for him, 6th at best.

There’s no doubt they need another TE. Grimble is at best a third TE and Gentry is a project. I think they will have to trade to get an upgrade unless some team cuts an established veteran. Even then, they’re up against the cap and would have to do some maneuvering. With McDonald’s injury history, they’re dangerously thin at that position.

It will be interesting to see which WRs they keep. JuJu, Moncrief, Washington, and Johnson will make the team. I think either Switzer or Rogers make it, but not both. I’d keep Switzer; he’s more versatile and is a better punt returner, and also returns KOs, which Rogers doesn’t. I think if they keep 6 WRs, Rogers has a better chance, but I think either Holton or Spencer would make it for special teams.

They definitely look faster on defense. We’ll see if they can force more turnovers. That’s critical. They only had 8 INTs last year.

It will be interesting to see which punter makes the team.

They have a tough schedule. Their division will be tough, they open with the Patriots on the road, which almost a guaranteed loss. They play the AFC South and the NFC West, plus the Chargers. 10 wins would be an accomplishment.

#6 ·
I very much doubt they will trade Dobbs. He’s still on his rookie contract, plus he’s had very little game experience. He threw one good pass in a game where Ben was out for a series and completely stunk when Ben got hurt against the Raiders. He’s not very accurate either. I doubt any team would give up more than a 7th round pick for him, 6th at best.

There’s no doubt they need another TE. Grimble is at best a third TE and Gentry is a project. I think they will have to trade to get an upgrade unless some team cuts an established veteran. Even then, they’re up against the cap and would have to do some maneuvering. With McDonald’s injury history, they’re dangerously thin at that position.

It will be interesting to see which WRs they keep. JuJu, Moncrief, Washington, and Johnson will make the team. I think either Switzer or Rogers make it, but not both. I’d keep Switzer; he’s more versatile and is a better punt returner, and also returns KOs, which Rogers doesn’t. I think if they keep 6 WRs, Rogers has a better chance, but I think either Holton or Spencer would make it for special teams.

They definitely look faster on defense. We’ll see if they can force more turnovers. That’s critical. They only had 8 INTs last year.

It will be interesting to see which punter makes the team.

They have a tough schedule. Their division will be tough, they open with the Patriots on the road, which almost a guaranteed loss. They play the AFC South and the NFC West, plus the Chargers. 10 wins would be an accomplishment.
This is not a racist statement but fact..... in the last 50 years 95 % or more of all kickoff and punt returns for touchdowns were by a black man.

#5 ·
I love, love, love Devin Bush. I know preseason is just a microcosm but what little I've seen so far I've been impressed. The one play last week where he got "blocked" out of a play and the Titans had a big run, he was being held by the face mask by the OT. That kid is just all over the field. Ben looked really solid and I was glad to see him get Montcreif involved. Big Mac needs to catch those passes. I think Rudy has sewn up the #2 QB spot. He's just been so much more consistent than Dobbs with one less year experience. I'm excited about this year. I think the world has finally seen this whole AB debacle isn't solely on Ben's shoulders. Everyone was quick to excuse his antics as Ben's fault but even before playing one snap with the Raiders, the crap show has continued. Stillers n'at.

#8 · (Edited)
Not a lot of people know this, but EVERY receiving TD in Brown’s pro career came from Ben. He’s never caught a TD from any other QB, excluding pre-season (I have no idea if he caught TDs from other QBs then, but those games don’t count). He will undoubtedly catch some TDs in Oakland, but I think he’s going to see a serious drop off in QB quality.

#7 ·
I think it's all on JUJU. If he is the second coming of AB talent wise and is a top 10 #1 receiver they will finish 10-6 or 11-5 and have a shot at the division. If he can't draw the double coverages like AB creating a lot of the offensive and big plays they are in real trouble (8-8 or 7-9)

#12 ·
here is my take on AB,
He spoiled - YES
Does he care about money more than championships - YES
Is he arrogant enough to sabotage a whole team just because he is who he is - YES

Is he a top 3 talent at receiver in the entire league- YES
Is he the reason that juju got half the yards he did - YES

I think all of this was miss managed Horribly from the beginning. He is a child and should be treated as such. I think the team Ben included should have protected his ego and he wouldn't have thrown a hissy fit. Ben calling him out and juju getting the team MVP set him over the top and his ego was to fragile to deal with it. Does that make him wrong sure does, but I don't believe for a minute they are better without him. If Ben never calls him out and they give him or Ben the MVP they are a legit SB contender this year.

#14 ·
I think all of this was miss managed Horribly from the beginning. He is a child and should be treated as such. I think the team Ben included should have protected his ego and he wouldn't have thrown a hissy fit.
I disagree. The #1 reason for his hissy fit was he wanted more money. He knew the Steelers wouldn't rework his contract a year after he signed one which at the time, made him the highest paid receiver in the league. When someone else (the WR from the Chiefs IIRC) got more money than him, he started is petulant --. Ben "calling him out" was just a convenient excuse. Had that not happened he would have found another reason to melt down. This always was about money and nothing else.

#16 ·
Guys I think Rudolph may be the real deal. Last year I would of never said that but watching how comfortable he is in the pocket this year and his accuracy is really impressing me. Weird situation with not knowing how long Ben plans to keep playing.

#21 ·
I know last night was rough but I thought Snell has been underwhelming all preseason. Gets tackled from behind far too easily. He will make the team because of where he was picked but I hope he improves. Maybe the game is too fast from a mental aspect for him right now.

#24 ·
Yeah they ll cut Hodges but he clearly throws a better ball than Dobbs, I have never been big on Dobbs Said it last yr and still feel he can never be a starting QB in this league or win you a couple games if Ben goes down!! Snell looks like a bust to me,he has had a few chances to get good runs and can t break the tackle or make 1 guy miss. Running backs either have it or they don t and he doesn t from what I ve seen. I think Edmonds is a better back personally.

#27 ·
Today is cut down day. Teams have until 4 PM today to cut their rosters to 53 players. Once players clear waivers, 10 players who are eligible for the practice squad can be signed. I often see people refer to teams “hiding” a player on the practice squad. Another team can sign a player from another team’s practice squad at any time. But they have to assign him to the active roster. Teams cannot pull a player off another team’s practice squad just before they have a game against the team from whom they would be signing.

I think if a player has two years or less of accrued seasons in the NFL, they are eligible for the practice squad. A player can only be on a team’s practice squad for two years.

I think the Steelers will keep Snell, cut Edmunds (RB) and try to sign Edmunds to the practice squad. There’s much less of a chance he’ll be claimed by another team than Snell.

I’m interested to see how many receivers they keep and who, which LBs make the team, which players in the secondary, and which player is the punter. Also, the Steelers almost always claim a player or two from other team’s cuts. I HOPE they get another TE, either via trade or cut from another team.

#29 ·
Steelers cut Edmunds the RB and kept Snell as expected. As expected, they cut Hodges.

The Patriots cut Brian Hoyer, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he signs with the Colts.

They only kept 5 WRs: Juju, Moncrief, Washington, Johnson, and Switzer. Holton, Spencer, and Eli Rogers were cut. Rogers will probably be picked up by another team.

They kept Skipper and Grant. I thought if they kept Grant that they’d cut Matekavich, but they didn’t.

They cut Berryman so Berry will be the P.

They traded Hawkins to the Bucs with their 7th round pick for the Bucs’ 6th rounder, which is a good trade because he was going to be cut.

Now we’ll see if they pick up or trade for a TE. If, so, they will have cut someone to make room.

#30 ·
They could use another safety also and have to do something at TE. I thought Holton had a chance or Spencer,maybe they will get on PS. I think that Kelly kid has chance to play over Davis at safety due to Davis being hurt he may lose his job if Kelly plays well.

#31 · (Edited)
Rosters are frozen until noon today. After that, there will be a lot of activity. Teams will sign players and announce their practice squads.

Three teams, the Broncos, Seahawks, and the Colts only have one QB on their rosters.

The available veteran QBs aren’t too impressive:

Derek Anderson
Tyler Bray
Kevin Hogan
Tom Savage
Brock Osweiler
Tom Savage
DeShone Kizer
Cardale Jones
Brian Hoyer
Davis Webb
Cody Kessler
Geno Smith

#32 ·
DeShone Kizer was claimed by the Raiders.

Steelers practice squad is:

Tevin Jones WR
Trey Edmunds RB
Christian Scotland-Williamson TE (IPP exemption)
Kevin Rader TE
Patrick Morris C-G
Derwin Gray OL
Henry Mondeaux DL
Robert Spillane ILB
Marcus Allen S
Trevon Mathis CB

Because of the exemption for Scotland-Williamson, the Steelers can add one more to the practice squad. I hope it's Holton.

Dionte Spencer was claimed by the Broncos.

#35 ·
Yes, it’s a good move to extend Haden. I doubt anyone else will be extended before the season starts, which means no one else will be extended this season since the Steelers don’t negotiate contracts once the season has started. The starters who would be candidates would be Hargraves and Davis. Hargraves will want to test the free agent market and I don’t think Davis has done enough to warrant an extension.

#39 ·
I really think the D will be much better this year, I also think the take a way's may be higher. Bush is a great trade up for no doubt, and I have noticed our Safeties and DB are actually in the frame on the TV not 20 yards off the receivers. I am not sweating AB's departure, they got faster, younger and deeper, JuJu will be fine, Washington is looking better and now Connor has a full season to show he is the #1 back on the team I am really excited for Sunday night, however they need to start off right, whooping the Pats in prime time would be step in the right direction.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.