The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

861 - 878 of 878 Posts

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
He was much better last year after a rough rookie season. He's very good on making tough catches where he has to fight for the ball. A lot of WRs have trouble contributing their rookie year. His rookie year, most of the passes went to Brown, Juju, and MacDonald. He and Johnson need to learn how to better get separation. Last year the Steelers' opponents basically covered everyone but Juju man-to-man and the Steelers didn't make them pay for it. I think Washington can be a #3 WR. I don't think he has the speed to be more than that.
Hines Ward didn’t have speed either. Not saying he will be another Hines but I am seeing similarities. I also remember starting to really notice Ward by his second year. None of us had any idea at the time he would go down as one of the Steelers most memorable players.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #862
I think Claypool will do nothing but help our running game ! guy can block and when we use 2 TE sets he ll be 1 on 1 coverage along with Ebron and i like those odds,plus JU JU will go back to being a slot receiver which he is better at than being on the outside. Sure it would have been nice to get a RB and probably the guy KC got was the best in draft as far as all propose back and he should be really good in that offense with that QB. I seen 1 ranking all though they mean nothing till you see these guys play had the Steelers as the 5th best draft in the league! Denver had the best in that poll and Ravins where nt in top 5 so just have to wait and see. I been looking at some game tape of our picks and that Dobson kid literally destroyed some guys in games,just what we need him to do in run game here. As far as QB i ve been saying it comes down to Ben being healthy and i think its very unfair for all these writers and fans knocking Rudolph ! kid had no help last yr no running game due to poor line play,RB hurt,#1 WR out and all the fumbles and drops at critical times and getting knocked out and being called a racist with that helmet deal,take away that Browns game with 4 picks and he still did ok for what they had,plus the OC playing calling was way too conservative at times also. Colbert and co know this, thats why there saying hes the #2 guy for a reason. If Ben goes down i think the kid can keep the ship afloat if Bens out a couple games and with Canada there that can only help the kid out due to Randy not being very good at developing a QB!

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Ward played mostly special teams his rookie year and only caught 15 passes but caught 61 his 2nd year. Ward was really great at finding soft spots in zone defenses, which Washington hardly ever saw last year. Ward was a more physical receiver than Washington. There’s one other thing to factor in. The defensive backs that play now are faster than when Ward played. Washington is going to have to improve at getting separation. I think he can still improve. I don’t see him being a star in the league but could end up being a very good player.
Trout it’s going to be a long season so I am going to do my best to keep things positive but right now I will admit it’s a little difficult. I throw out hypotheticals and personal thoughts. Your responses always seem to have a touch of arrogance to them and very dismissive. I have been watching the Steelers religiously for a very long time so it’s a little hard to take when you are always coming back at me like I am dead wrong . It’s all good though. We will get through this.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Ward played mostly special teams his rookie year and only caught 15 passes but caught 61 his 2nd year. Ward was really great at finding soft spots in zone defenses, which Washington hardly ever saw last year. Ward was a more physical receiver than Washington. There’s one other thing to factor in. The defensive backs that play now are faster than when Ward played. Washington is going to have to improve at getting separation. I think he can still improve. I don’t see him being a star in the league but could end up being a very good player.
Trout it’s going to be a long season so I am going to do my best to keep things positive but right now I will admit it’s a little difficult. I throw out hypotheticals and personal thoughts. Your responses always seem to have a touch of arrogance to them and very dismissive. I have been watching the Steelers religiously for a very long time so it’s a little hard to take when you are always coming back at me like I am dead wrong . It’s all good though. We will get through this.
Sorry that’s not my intent. It’s just a disagreement. I’m expressing my opinions. I’m in no way trying to dismiss or devalue what you think. My apologies. I should just retire from this thread.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Sorry that’s not my intent. It’s just a disagreement. I’m expressing my opinions. I’m in no way trying to dismiss or devalue what you think. My apologies. I should just retire from this thread.
It’s fine Trout. I am just hoping we have a season to enjoy this year and hopefully we can be on here together talking about actual games. Just sort of felt like every opinion I had was quickly getting countered by you in a way that gave me the impression you felt like I really had no idea what I was talking about. Sometimes things come across differently in a forum than what they do in person. No hard feelings on my end. I understand we can’t agree on everything even if we are fans of the same team.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
It’s fine Trout. I am just hoping we have a season to enjoy this year and hopefully we can be on here together talking about actual games. Just sort of felt like every opinion I had was quickly getting countered by you in a way that gave me the impression you felt like I really had no idea what I was talking about. Sometimes things come across differently in a forum than what they do in person. No hard feelings on my end. I understand we can’t agree on everything even if we are fans of the same team.
Again, that wasn't my intent. Just thought we were having a discussion about what each of us thought about the Steelers personnel moves.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #867
You guys can t retire I d be writing to myself then !! Plus it won t let me hit the like button to myself:smile2:

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I just hope the reports where "sources" claim the Steelers made such and such an offer to Winston, Dalton, Newton, whoever, just shrivel up.

The QB cap dollars are all tied up in Ben and his elbow. That roll of the dice happened long ago.

And with no offseason, you really gonna be better with a vet on the decline (Dalton, Newton) or someone who the words "smart decision" aren't associated with his play or past (Winston)? Rudolph would do just as well.

Lamar will slide back or get hurt, Titans showed the blueprint, make him throw outside. Mayfield is indeed overrated. The division can be had if that elbow works out. Big if.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #869
I just hope the reports where "sources" claim the Steelers made such and such an offer to Winston, Dalton, Newton, whoever, just shrivel up.

The QB cap dollars are all tied up in Ben and his elbow. That roll of the dice happened long ago.

And with no offseason, you really gonna be better with a vet on the decline (Dalton, Newton) or someone who the words "smart decision" aren't associated with his play or past (Winston)? Rudolph would do just as well.

Lamar will slide back or get hurt, Titans showed the blueprint, make him throw outside. Mayfield is indeed overrated. The division can be had if that elbow works out. Big if.
Agree if Ben is healthy and we have somewhat of a run game they will be right there in December. They don t need those washed up QBs,now in 2 yrs and you get a chance for A.Rodgers and he s injury free im all in for that after Bens cap hit is done!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #870
What you guys think of the 2020 schedule ? Looking at it with a healthy Ben they could go 12-4,no west coast trips and they say its the second easiest in league. But just when you think this team or that team stinks they make the playoffs and injuries play a role in it also.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
The traveling aspect of the schedule is very favorable for them. Listened to one of the Pittsburgh talk show hosts break it down the other day and he was making a lot of sense in regards to longer breaks after prime time games and playing easier opponents before facing tougher ones.

One thing for certain is some of the teams we think will stink will end up being pretty decent and other teams that were favored at the beginning of the season won’t be very good.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #873
Looks like Ben was slinging it pretty good today,seen report that him and JU JU where working out and Ju JU was saying he s making all the throws and looked good.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I didn't like seeing two trips to Corona Ground Zero in the U.S. within weeks. Third preseason game at NYJ and opening on MNF at NYG.

Would you voluntarily go to NYC right now?

Having the HOF game is huge this year, every extra rep will help. And I suppose if there ever was a year not to have a #1 pick, this was it. Going to be that much harder to get rookies up to speed with the offseason being dialed back. If you consider Fitzpatrick the "pick", he's light years ahead of the 2020 rookie class. And they can stick Claypool in there and say "Go deep, Chase!".

I won't try to predict anything this year. Teams with new coaches or new QBs might have a real hard time.

I do think you will see Rudolph (or whoever wins the #2 job) in games more. Any chance to limit some wear and tear on Ben, take it. With this D, a nice lead in the 4th should be a W. Let Mason hand it off to Conner/Snell and grind the clock.

Look for a season that as a collective group the RBs have an outstanding year. With the Ben and covid situation, you get a lead and then hammer the rock and ride the D. Keep it simple and shorten the game.

What do I know? Watch them end up throwing 800 passes for 6500 yards.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Heard a couple weeks ago that Coach Tomlin, said that if any player wants to take a knee during the Anthem. The team and owners would support them. I hope them and any other team that feels that way loses all their games and fans.

861 - 878 of 878 Posts