The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

841 - 860 of 878 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Connor will not get a new deal. Juju did drop more passes but he only fumbled once. It was in OT in the Ravens game. He’s actually only lost 2 fumbles in his career but both were at the end of games.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I didn’t expect them to get a bunch of guys who are ready to start right away. Look at all the great defensive players that we got over the years that were mostly mostly special team players for the first few seasons. I didn’t have unrealistic expectations because I know that there is a lot that goes into player development and in most cases rookies have a established starter in front of them with a year or two left on their contract. I just simply feel like this class is a little weak in regards to two or three years down the road.
As far as the running game goes Conners contract will be up. Have you seen anything that would warrant a new deal ? I personally have soured on him. Not just because he his hurt all the time but his running ability seems to have digressed even with healthy. He also has had costly fumbles that cost us the season. Guess I could say the same about JuJu too. Not sure if he is going to be worth a big contract either. Even with horrible QB play last season I thought he was terrible. Dropped a lot of catchable balls and he also has cost us dearly with fumbling the ball.

So now that I got that out of the way I am going to return my old positive self . Maybe it’s the COVID-19 making me like this. I don’t like being this negative in the Steelers thread.
Well said. I'm not excited about anyone we picked in this draft. Was disappointed they didn't pick Dobbins, and even more so when the Ravens took him. I felt Connors was a "feel good" pick from minute one, and after a promising start, he's certainly digressed. I think our running game will be sub-par again this year. Snell and Samuels would really need to step it up and I am not convinced they're at the talent level to do so. I also agree with you on JuJu. Nice kid, but take away AB and the coverage he drew, JuJu's not convinced me he's up to the task of being a number one receiver. Maybe Claypool will help, but certainly not counting on it. I think the signing of Ebron may help us more than all of this years draft picks combined.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Connor will not get a new deal. Juju did drop more passes but he only fumbled once. It was in OT in the Ravens game. He’s actually only lost 2 fumbles in his career but both were at the end of games.
The one against the Saints cost us the playoffs and so did the one in Baltimore. The greats don’t do that. Not saying it can’t be rectified but he has to prove it this season. Between those two fumbles and all the horrible drops last season I have lost a lot of confidence in him. Conner and JuJu are supposed to our go to guys to make the tough play and win games.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #844
Well said. I'm not excited about anyone we picked in this draft. Was disappointed they didn't pick Dobbins, and even more so when the Ravens took him. I felt Connors was a "feel good" pick from minute one, and after a promising start, he's certainly digressed. I think our running game will be sub-par again this year. Snell and Samuels would really need to step it up and I am not convinced they're at the talent level to do so. I also agree with you on JuJu. Nice kid, but take away AB and the coverage he drew, JuJu's not convinced me he's up to the task of being a number one receiver. Maybe Claypool will help, but certainly not counting on it. I think the signing of Ebron may help us more than all of this years draft picks combined.
When Conners healthy hes a good back,but thats been his problem staying healthy! If you watched last yr when he came back there was a big difference when he was in there,the problem with him is he s injury prone but talent wise hes a good back,is he Barry Sanders no but hes still a good back. Ju Ju granted has fumbled at key times and cost his team but last yr he was also hurt. Last yr was a once in a lifetime yr for any team with the injuries they had,no team can survive that and they almost did!

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
When Conners healthy hes a good back,but thats been his problem staying healthy! If you watched last yr when he came back there was a big difference when he was in there,the problem with him is he s injury prone but talent wise hes a good back,is he Barry Sanders no but hes still a good back. Ju Ju granted has fumbled at key times and cost his team but last yr he was also hurt. Last yr was a once in a lifetime yr for any team with the injuries they had,no team can survive that and they almost did!
It really was amazing they did as well as they did. Definitely nothing to be ashamed of with all the injuries.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Compensatory Picks

NFL teams can now pick up Unrestricted Free Agents without affecting the compensatory formula
The new deadline of 4PM EST the Monday following the draft has passed, so any free agent signed will not hurt a team in regards to compensatory picks

By [email protected] Apr 27, 2020, 4:00pm EDT

The date used to be two weeks after the NFL draft. But with the new CBA in effect for the 2020 season, any unrestricted free agent who now signs with an NFL team will not count in the compensatory formula. The player will not count as a loss for their previous team, nor will they count as a gain for their new team.

Why is this important to NFL teams, particularly the Steelers? If there is a free urgent still on the market which the Steelers give a qualifying offer, it will not affect the compensatory formula for the 2021 draft.

So does this mean the Steelers are set with their compensatory pics for 2021? Not exactly. It is possible a situation much like 2019 could occur for Pittsburgh. Last season, the Steelers went from having a net loss which would give them a compensatory pick to having even losses and gains when the Philadelphia Eagles released L.J. Fort. Even though Fort was picked up by another team, it did not matter because the compensatory deadline had passed. In order for the Steelers to get the selection in which they selected Alex Highsmith in the 2020 NFL draft, they had to release Donte Moncrief before the end of Week 10 of 2019.

The way it stands for the Steelers right now for the 2021 draft, they have a net loss of three players and could be in line for three compensatory draft picks. With the loss of Artie Burns and the gain of Stefen Wisniewski not having contracts high enough to qualify in the compensatory formula, the Steelers have lost five qualifying players while gaining only two.

According to overthecap.com the Steelers net losses are:

Javon Hargrave ($13 M per year, 4th round)
Sean Davis ($4 M per year, 6th round)
B.J. Finney ($4 M per year, 6th round)
Tyler Matakevich ($3.575 M per year, 7th round)
Nick Vannett ($2.85 M per year, 7th round)

The Steelers net gains are:

Eric Ebron ($6 M per year, 6th round)
Derek Watt ($3.25 M per year, 7th round)

By canceling equal rounds, Ebron would cancel Davis while Watt would cancel Matakevich. What remains would be the Steelers being eligible for a fourth round, sixth round, and seventh round selection in 2021. A seventh round selection is not guaranteed to occur as they will only be 32 compensatory picks awarded and right now there are more than 40 eligible selections across the NFL.

There could be some adjustments to players rankings based on achievements and actual salary earned. If Javon Hargrave makes the Pro Bowl or has other awards in 2020, his value could potentially bump into the third round. On the other hand, Sean Davis may not earn all of the incentives in his contract which could drop him out of the sixth round. Of course, if any of these players are released prior to Week 10 of this coming season, they will no longer count in the equation.

The most important thing is that now the deadline has passed, no players can be added to the gains for the Steelers. Even if they were to go out and sign a free agent to a large contract, it would not affect the process at all.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #847
They ll need those picks for next yr. I see where everyone is all doom and gloom about there draft but seen where NFL Network rated it a A-. The thing is its just opinions like i stated you have to see these guys play and it takes a couple yrs to find out. Look at Troy Polamalu, he wasn t very good his rookie yr and you was wondering why did we move up in draft to pick this guy,well we know how that turned out!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #851
i would have like to seen them get a safety and move T Edmunds to the hybrid position, I seen where that OL they got they really like,say hes a grinder with a mean streak. He must be pretty durable he played like 50 some games in a row also

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
I personally think Edmunds is fine and quite possibly ready for a breakout season. He’s been starting since his rookie year and should be ready to put it all together this season. He hasn’t had a whole lot of splash type plays to this point and there are games I hardly notice him but that’s sort of a good thing because like a offensive lineman you don’t really notice them until they are screwing up. He has the athletic ability and understands the defense well enough now that he will probably be anticipating plays a lot quicker allowing him to make those splash type of plays.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #853
I know Emunds is alot faster than i thought, i remember one play where he picked a ball and was like this guys pretty fast. I do think his coverage set is his weakest part,gets beat on those jump balls alot but im also ready to see if he makes a jump this yr. I know they did nt have alot of picks so they could nt address everything,but you have to look at it as we got Mikikah F and Bush also with the picks we gave up. Who knows maybe we got a sleeper as a FA or XFL guy,may find some depth there also!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #854
WE don t need Cam Newton thats for sure,Ray P the Steeler beat writer was saying on the Fan today that the Raven fans are in a uproar over how bad they feel there draft was go figure,said he was talking to the Baltimore beat writer and they really hated the Dobbins pick.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Ravens fans don't like the Dobbins pick and Steeler fans don't like the Dobbins non-pick. Complete rivals in everything!

The barn was already bet on Ben before the elbow, with those cap numbers.

Might as well load up on big pass catching targets (Ebron, Claypool) and if they stay healthy McDonald, JuJu, Washington and Johnson, that six is a pretty strong group.

Dont need a RB that badly and the cap cant endure a feature back contract and feature QB.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
I guess I am just not on the same page as you guys. The running game was painful to watch last year. I also understand they were loading the box on us but at the same time there was a obvious lack of talent. There were still holes and Conner was hitting them. Mostly running to the sideline with minimal gains. He’s our feature back and you know he’s going to get hurt. Little faith in the guys behind him.
After having such good running backs over the years it really surprises me that some of you are so dismissive of that position. We use to have running backs that would take over games . Bell for example was such a threat in multiple ways and gave opposing defensive coordinators fits. Also think his versatility made the offensive line much better because his ability would put interior defenders on their heels.
I like Claypool and think he will be a productive player but I still see our running game as a weakness. Wish they would of done a better job of addressing it.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
In Bells last season with the Steelers he had over 1200 yards rushing, over 600 yards receiving and 11 touchdowns. The Steelers wanted to keep him and offered him a huge contract that he foolishly turned down. Having Bell also went beyond statistics because of how challenging it was to game plan against him. Can’t say other teams have that same issue with Conner . That is if he is even capable of playing on that particular day.
You can make a case that in the long term Claypool will be a more productive player for us than Dobbins but there is not a chance I will agree with anyone that our running game doesn’t have issues or they can’t be much better. There is no reason whatsoever that they couldn’t be in the upper half of the league with a capable starter that can stay healthy.
I know it’s primarily a passing league but you still need to have balance.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I might be the only guy here that thinks the Steelers needed a QB. Ben wasn't throwing that good before he got hurt, behind and over. The injury he has is very hard to recover from, I do hope the doctor I heard was wrong. Mason does not impress me at all, he is always throwing off his heels and backing away on his release. This is just my obsevation.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
I might be the only guy here that thinks the Steelers needed a QB. Ben wasn't throwing that good before he got hurt, behind and over. The injury he has is very hard to recover from, I do hope the doctor I heard was wrong. Mason does not impress me at all, he is always throwing off his heels and backing away on his release. This is just my obsevation.
The reason why Mason lasted until the 3rd round was because of his footwork and lack of mobility. It was painfully obvious last season that the scouting reports on him were on point.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
This has nothing to do with Claypool but was wondering if anyone feels James Washington might be flying under the radar ? I know he had a few bad plays in his rookie year but considering the horrible Qb play last season I thought he played pretty well and was clutch during certain games. I think he has potential to break out in his 3rd season but I understand he could also just end up being average. Also kind of have a soft spot for him because he’s a country boy. Can’t hate on a guy that helps his dad on the farm during the offseason.

841 - 860 of 878 Posts