The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

821 - 840 of 878 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #822
Well i think they go Defense with the next pick,they need Depth at LB. But OL could be there also. Im glad they didnt take Hurst also. I really thought they where going to take Dobbins,but im happy with the guy they got. Ben will have some big targets to throw to with the new TE we picked up.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #824
I was just thinking they could probably use this guy as a TE also and have 3 on the field at one time,especially in the red zone where we where god awful last yr

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #825
Im not big on Fournette either,injured alot and hear rumors is a problem in the locker room which we don nt need!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #826
well steelers take Highsmith OLB,looking at film the guy has a quick first step and could be a good player once they coach him up and gets stronger. Looks like a project we ll see,hope they did nt reach with this pick but it also could be a steal down the road! They obviously liked him due to they had pick in real quick after NE picked. I thought they would go OL with this pick with what they where listing on board but ill take it 2-2,think OL be in next rd, be surprised if they don t take one.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Not very optimistic about their second pick. Project type of player just to add depth. Hopefully he turns into something.

I am starting to get a little concerned . While I like that we got a WR 10 others were picked before him and now a project linebacker. This isn’t exactly setting us up for the future with only four picks remaining.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #828
Not very optimistic about their second pick. Project type of player just to add depth. Hopefully he turns into something.

I am starting to get a little concerned . While I like that we got a WR receiver 10 others were picked before him and now a project linebacker. This isn’t exactly setting us up for the future with only four picks remaining.
Yeah im a little leary of the 3rd rd pick but im liking the WR, If you pull up his tape the guy is impressive. I didnt really look at him due to i thought one of the other guys would have been there. The OLB is a project no doubt but one of the things i saw was a Clemson OL said he was by far the best pass rusher he ever faced in his 12 yrs of football and the OL from Clemson was a draft pick. You know how this plays out Steele we have to wait and see with these guys in preseason gms to see how they stack up and after a couple yrs will tell the story whether they are boom or bust. Right now they are in win now mode and from the 3rd pic on there looking for backups and depth maybe a OL in this draft may see some playing time but thats about it i figure due to all the positions being filled as long as the injuries don t add up,plus i trust there judgement when picking a receiver due to there record over the yrs. One other note look at Seattle who took that Metcalf kid,alot of teams passed on him and i thought the same thing that he was maybe over rated but after i seen him play last yr a couple games they got a steal with that kid,hard to believe he was passed on by all those teams.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Hopefully this draft will pan out but I hope we won’t have another one like this next year. Just not enough picks and when you look at what other teams are doing in our division we are falling behind.
Hopefully some of these XFL players we signed make up for the lack of depth we are going to get from this years draft.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Day Three Picks

Steelers' picks so far on day three:

4th: Anthony McFarland, Jr. RB - Maryland - Is apparently very fast. Had few receptions, which seems strange for such a fast back. I wonder if he's good at catching the ball. Apparently he's a lousy blocker, which is bad because the Steelers have their RBs block a lot.

4th: Kevin Dotson - G - Louisiana

ESPN: A combine snub, Dotson, a four-year starter, has a nasty disposition and the ability to move defenders off the ball in the run game. He's competitive and finds ways to win in pass pro even though he has below-average length and just adequate athletic ability. His hand placement is inconsistent, and he can do a better job of keeping his hips under him. -- Steve Muench

ESPN's notes:
McFarland shows good good burst through the hole and around the corner. He has the second gear to pull away when he gets a crease. McFarland is a tough runner who fights for yards after contact and flashes good finishing power. He has solid ball skills and is a threat after the catch.

6th: Anthony Brooks S- Maryland Another safety from Maryland, which is where Sean Davis came from. This may be the guy who takes Barron's place though that would be asking a lot for a 6th round pick as a rookie.

This is what ESPN says about him

Brooks is a hybrid linebacker/safety who moves around the formation. He does a good job of sifting through traffic, and he's quick enough to shoot gaps playing close to the line of scrimmage. He chops the legs out from under ball carriers. His range isn't great, and he's tight in space. He's opportunistic with adequate ball skills but he's not a ball hawk. -- Steve Muench

7thL Carlos Davis DT, Nebraska

From Bleacher Report.com: A natural athlete, Davis never dominated at Nebraska, but he could find a home in the NFL once he isn't asked to consistently shuffle schemes and alignments. His arrow is pointing up, and he'll have a good chance to find his way into a defensive tackle rotation and outplay his draft stock.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Usually I am pretty optimistic about the draft but for whatever reason I am not feeling it this year. Right now for the exception of Claypool I am jut seeing a bunch of guys who will be special team players and perhaps backups if they are lucky enough to make the team. I hope I am wrong . They are the experts not me but there just isn’t much to get excited about from a fans perspective. I also feel like we have done nothing to keep pace with the Ravens.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
When you don't have a first round pick, that dampens the enthusiasm. Expectations are low because they had so few picks. The Ravens look to have had a solid draft, which isn't surprising. But it's not just what you get from this year's draft class. It's how your 2nd and 3rd year players improve and how your veterans perform.
I agree but is this draft making you feel any more optimistic about the future ? It’s sure isn’t for me.
I am going to have to give it some time but as of right now I think it was a horrible draft even without the first round pick.
Maybe some of the experts who do this for a living can change my mind in the next few days.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
I don’t make snap judgements about the draft. Making a snap judgement about the draft is no different than grading the draft before the players have played a single down in the NFL.

I don’t rely on the “experts” to evaluate this or any draft. I’ll wait to see how the players perform. The Steelers have drafted well enough over the years to earn the benefit of the doubt.
Well I don’t do this for a living and it’s going to be quite a while before we see what they are capable of. So with that being said there are some great football minds who will be offering some analysis on the Steelers picks in coming weeks. Some of the guys the Steelers picked up I haven’t even heard of until today. I am not going to pretend like I watched game tape on them or understand the schemes they were playing in. I wasn’t at the combine and I didn’t interview them. All I have to go off of is a short draft bio that someone put together and highlights. To me this draft seems to have players with more flaws and underwhelming statistics then previous ones. Maybe three or four of these players will be full time starters and major contributors in the next couple of years but as of now I feel like they were reaching on almost every pick. We will see how it shakes out.
Not trying to be doom and gloom but I still have a lot of concerns over our aging offensive line and our running backs. Conner just isn’t able to be counted on to stay healthy and the rest of the running backs have proven to be mediocre at best to this point. Baltimore who already had a excellent running game just got even better through this draft.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #834
The one thing that does stand out about this draft is Speed,you look at every player they took and they have upperclass speed for there position. As Trout said I have to wait and see and i like to give it 2 to 3 yrs to evaluate a draft. As for Ravens yeah they seem to have had a good draft but wait till they have to ponie up $ and they ll be getting rid of guys to pay there skill guys thats how this league is set up, which when you look at Colbert and Co ,they do it as well as anybody. The season comes down to #7 if he s healthy i like our chances! barring injuries they'll be right there and thats all you can ask is to get in the tournament come December.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Claypool could end up being a awesome receiver for us. Only time will tell. It just sort of bugs that there were 10 other receivers taken before him. Maybe there were 2 or 3 receivers taken before him that the Steelers might of had a lower grade on but I am willing to bet that there were at least 7 or 8 who they would of rather selected. Makes me wonder if Dobbins might of been a better selection with their first pick. Getting Dobbins would of had me feeling much better about our running game and we could of drafted a decent receiver in the later rounds. Who knows maybe my feelings will change down the road but now that the dust has settled I think there would of been more value in taking Dobbins with their first pick.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
It doesn’t make a difference if there were others they would rather have selected, they were already taken. When your first pick is #49, there’s going to be at bunch of guys they’d like to pick but won’t get the opportunity. They needed a deep threat, not just a decent WR. If they’d waited, they might not have gotten one. It’s a lot harder to find a big, fast WR who is a legitimate deep threat than to find a RB. The Steelers have a great record on drafting WRs. RBs tend to have short careers and they rarely get a 2nd contract with the same team. They can improve the running game without Dobbins and I think they will.
Well you have more confidence in our stable of running backs than I do. Our starter is injury prone to put it mildly and the guy they drafted has a extensive injury history as well. The rest of them are average at best and from what I have seen to this point not capable of being full time starters. I noticed a slight change around the league last season where the running game was becoming more prevalent and effective. That trend will most likely continue . It will never be what it once was but I always felt a solid running game was crucial for when it comes to eating up the clock and closing out games. If Connor goes down we do not have a true starter to take his place and our offensive line is not nearly as strong at run blocking as it was a couple years ago. The backs they have now aren’t creative enough to find their own holes or have the patience like Bell had to let something open up in front of him. This could end up being very painful to watch this season.
The Steelers for the longest time always had need in mind but tried to take the best player available. This is not a knock on Claypool but he wasn’t considered one of the top ten receivers in this years draft. There were players available at other positions that they could of drafted that were ranked much higher at their respective positions.
I think the Steelers will be good this year and could possibly make a deep run if everyone stays healthy and Ben is back to being Ben. At the same time I am noticing more holes and a lack of depth compared to prior years and I felt because of it they were reaching a bit on some of these picks.
I know all teams have holes but I am not happy with what we have at running back. Our offensive line is the oldest in the league and is starting to digress. They also are probably one of the highest paid units in the league. Ben only has 2 or 3 more years left. Our defensive line is getting older. Bud is either going to get a huge contract or get let go. If we are missing on these picks we quite possibly could go for many years being a below average team and bottom feeder in our division.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #837
Well you have more confidence in our stable of running backs than I do. Our starter is injury prone to put it mildly and the guy they drafted has a extensive injury history as well. The rest of them are average at best and from what I have seen to this point not capable of being full time starters. I noticed a slight change around the league last season where the running game was becoming more prevalent and effective. That trend will most likely continue . It will never be what it once was but I always felt a solid running game was crucial for when it comes to eating up the clock and closing out games. If Connor goes down we do not have a true starter to take his place and our offensive line is not nearly as strong at run blocking as it was a couple years ago. The backs they have now aren’t creative enough to find their own holes or have the patience like Bell had to let something open up in front of him. This could end up being very painful to watch this season.
The Steelers for the longest time always had need in mind but tried to take the best player available. This is not a knock on Claypool but he wasn’t considered one of the top ten receivers in this years draft. There were players available at other positions that they could of drafted that were ranked much higher at their respective positions.
I think the Steelers will be good this year and could possibly make a deep run if everyone stays healthy and Ben is back to being Ben. At the same time I am noticing more holes and a lack of depth compared to prior years and I felt because of it they were reaching a bit on some of these picks.
I know all teams have holes but I am not happy with what we have at running back. Our offensive line is the oldest in the league and is starting to digress. They also are probably one of the highest paid units in the league. Ben only has 2 or 3 more years left. Our defensive line is getting older. Bud is either going to get a huge contract or get let go. If we are missing on these picks we quite possibly could go for many years being a below average team and bottom feeder in our division.
I would nt sleep on that running back they took,kid was highly recruited by Alabama but elected to stay close to home. Look at his tape against Ohio st and his speed really stands out,had 298 yds rushing and Matt Canada was his coach. Ol they got they say is a grinder with mean streak,plus they got some changes on the line for this yr so it won t be the same as last yr they added a veteren and have moved some guys plus this Clayborne kid can block,a new TE,a new FB, they have definitely tried to improve the running game and the offense overall IMO, plus manage the cap. Ben will have plenty of weapons to go to,it comes down to him being healthy.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Dont sleep on Dotson. In run game he is a tank, highest graded run blocking guard. He can learn behind some great interior linemen.

Plus he's a lifelong fan of the Black and Gold. Favorite player was The Bus. Family has a Steeler mancave. Sometimes the things you cant see on tape can also make a difference. He'll work harder than anyone, given the chance to live a childhood dream.

Interesting stat I saw on Twitter (so you know its true). Number of #1 overall picks in the Hall of Fame, 14. Number of undrafted free agents, 17 with 3 more going in this year. Donnie Shell sticking and dropping Earl Campbell better be a highlight at his induction.

Yes, more UFA than #1 overall picks to make up the talent pool, but the point is its not just about the round picked and college tape.

With the 199th pick, the New England Patriots select Tom Brady, quarterback, Michigan. Says it all right there.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #839
I don’t think missing on one draft is going to doom the Steelers for years. Eventually the Steelers will have a losing season. Every team does. They had three in a row at one point when Cowher was the coach, but they recovered. Good organizations recover faster than the bad ones. There are two good organizations in our division and two bad ones. The Ravens and the Steelers are the good ones.

I think it’s very likely the Ravens will win the division again this year. The Browns could pass the Steelers but how long has that been a possibility? The Bengals were the worst team in the league last year. I think they’ll improve but not that much.

I think the Steelers running game will improve this year. Will they be one of the top running teams in the league? No. Drafting Dobbins wouldn’t have made them one of the top running teams either.

I think your expectations going into this draft were too high. I think you were expecting them to get a bunch of starters from this draft. It’s not realistic to expect a draft where you have a 2nd, a late 3rd, and four late round picks to significantly improve the team.

I’m not thrilled with their draft, but I didn’t expect to be.
I can t say whether im thrilled or not,have to see these guys play,plus theres not really any starting positions open on Defense and that Lane kid,does he improve?we will see.and i remember the so called experts had D Johnson as a bigtime reach when we drafted him! looks like a very good pick based on last yr,I think he s our best WR going into this yr. I agree that at some point we will have to suck up some losing seasons to get those high picks and a new QB. I think NE going through this process now, but they ll be back i bet, maybe not SB but playoffs i think. The only pick i was looking for in this draft to help now was the 49th pick and looking at tape and seeing what this kid has talent wise i believe they have done that.and as you stated they can only hope they hit on the others which i think they will down the road. Teams like the Bengals should have a good draft with all those high picks. Rod Woodson was saying before the draft that he did nt care what they picked as long as they had speed and they have done that as well.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
I don’t think missing on one draft is going to doom the Steelers for years. Eventually the Steelers will have a losing season. Every team does. They had three in a row at one point when Cowher was the coach, but they recovered. Good organizations recover faster than the bad ones. There are two good organizations in our division and two bad ones. The Ravens and the Steelers are the good ones.

I think it’s very likely the Ravens will win the division again this year. The Browns could pass the Steelers but how long has that been a possibility? The Bengals were the worst team in the league last year. I think they’ll improve but not that much.

I think the Steelers running game will improve this year. Will they be one of the top running teams in the league? No. Drafting Dobbins wouldn’t have made them one of the top running teams either.

I think your expectations going into this draft were too high. I think you were expecting them to get a bunch of starters from this draft. It’s not realistic to expect a draft where you have a 2nd, a late 3rd, and four late round picks to significantly improve the team.

I’m not thrilled with their draft, but I didn’t expect to be.
I didn’t expect them to get a bunch of guys who are ready to start right away. Look at all the great defensive players that we got over the years that were mostly mostly special team players for the first few seasons. I didn’t have unrealistic expectations because I know that there is a lot that goes into player development and in most cases rookies have a established starter in front of them with a year or two left on their contract. I just simply feel like this class is a little weak in regards to two or three years down the road.
As far as the running game goes Conners contract will be up. Have you seen anything that would warrant a new deal ? I personally have soured on him. Not just because he his hurt all the time but his running ability seems to have digressed even with healthy. He also has had costly fumbles that cost us the season. Guess I could say the same about JuJu too. Not sure if he is going to be worth a big contract either. Even with horrible QB play last season I thought he was terrible. Dropped a lot of catchable balls and he also has cost us dearly with fumbling the ball.

So now that I got that out of the way I am going to return my old positive self . Maybe it’s the COVID-19 making me like this. I don’t like being this negative in the Steelers thread.

821 - 840 of 878 Posts