Lance Moore - WR, Saints

Re-Signed:
Jason Worilds - OLB
Michael Palmer - TE
Ike Taylor - CB

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
I think this may be his second interview which makes me think there is more of a chance than what I originally thought. It would be great to get him but I am not sure if the Steelers have enough cap space to pay him. I will be very suprised if he signes qith them.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Supposedly if they restructured/lengthened the right contract they could make enough room to get near Drew's 5mil contract (last year's) with their present 2.3mil cap space... Lawrence Timmons' perhaps?

I think he's maybe looking to get out for a ring before he has to hang it up.

I would be surprised as well if he ends up in Pittsburgh... but if they were able to get him and keep Cotchery as well, they're in pretty good shape pre-draft offensively.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Jericho is gonzo.

Carolina just signed him.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, two years 5mil... they should've made some cap room.

Why don't they just go after Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens and Randy Moss?
(that's a joke)

In other news the team was informed they won't lose a draft pick that would've stemmed from Tomlin's on-the-field-of-play "dance" again the Ravens last Thanksgiving.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
I'm sorry but Jones Drew does nothing to help the issues that the Steelers have. The Mitchell and Thomas signings are a step in the right direction but adding a back who has A LOT of mileage on him is not the right move.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steelers have one back under contract. Bell.

They are not bringing back Felix Jones. Dywer signed with AZ.

Stephens-Howling, is a FE, been in the league 5 years... his career rushing yardage is 670 in the 58 games he's dressed for. He's returning off ACL surgery.

I doubt it would be a block-buster deal.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
TraskOutdoors said:
I'm sorry but Jones Drew does nothing to help the issues that the Steelers have. The Mitchell and Thomas signings are a step in the right direction but adding a back who has A LOT of mileage on him is not the right move.
I don't agree Trask. He would be a great backup for Bell and way better than what they had last season. I wouldn't want him as a starter but I think it would be a perfect fit for him. I also don't think it would be a bad idea to get Harrison either. Also, not as a starter but insurance for injury and giving Worilds a breather once in a while.
The Steelers are going to have to make some sort of move within the next few days. They are way to thin at LB, RB, and WR now. Hope they have something in the works.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Underwhelming in Free Agency as usual. Not really their style is it? Might not be such a bad thing. Seems like they pick their spots okay.

Reports Jones-Drew left without a contract.

Gonna be a key draft this year for sure, not going to fill all those spots with journeymen vets.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DethFrumAbuv said:
Underwhelming in Free Agency as usual. Not really their style is it?
You're right, they usually don't do much. I think they've been a tad more active (Mitchell and Thomas) as 8-8 isn't usually their style either.

They may just be sitting tight until the draft comes up unless a real steal comes up.

Supposedly there's more supply than demand at RB right now (across the league), so they may just wait until post draft and when cap space from releasing Woodley becomes available. Perhaps they may pounce on Jones-Drew June 1st. There's a possibility that Peyton Hillis might not even make the Giants rooster, he did sign a two year deal with them last week for two years but only 100k is guaranteed. Bell, Jones-Drew and Peyton Hillis? One can dream.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Plenty of talk about our ball carriers and catchers but what about our O-line?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That was in a different thread.

Lyco Setter said:
I don't anticipate them drafting high at all at O-line. They've got 6 (Beachum, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert and Adams... Foster is 28 and the oldest OL by 2 years, 4 of these 6 were also either 1st or 2nd rd picks) under contract and have resigned 2 (Wallace (29) and Whimper (30) ) for 8 in total. Combine that with hiring Munchak as the OL coach and I think they'll be pretty good this year only get better after, up until Munchak leaves. Offensively I think they need a to sign a cheap vet WR for insurance if Cotchery has signed with another team before June 1 (when the cap room they gained cutting Woodley lose becomes available).

I take back them looking for a TE in anything above the 4th round, They've got 3 at the moment, technically they did have 4 near the end of last season once Miller returned- Miller, Spaeth, Paulson and Johnson (who also would act as a FB, he since signed w/ Chargers).

Signing Starks from the Packers really would've helped. RB and WR seem to be the only real areas of concern offensively.
I'm guessing a change or two will happen before the season opener, but nothing huge??? Munchak may recommend some additional new guys for camp once mini camps begin. He probably has a handful of available o-lineman names to potentially bring in. With a crop of 8 veterans and Munchak's 14 seasons as an o-line coach (himself a HOF'er and 9-time pro-bowler), I really think they're in good hands in that regard.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They just signed Lance Moore from the Saints... a 5'9" vet receiver. Adds depth but not height.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
Lyco Setter said:
They just signed Lance Moore from the Saints... a 5'9" vet receiver. Adds depth but not height.
That helps. Now I think the Steelers should take Kelvin Benjamin with their first pick in the draft. The guy is 6'5 and aound 240.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Window may be closing for a James Harrison return. They just signed OLB-ILB Arthur Moats to a one year deal from Buffalo.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blount was getting 1.25 mil last year, the Steelers have just over a mil in room right now. Unless they restructured someone under the radar this week I don't anticipate any significant pickups until they actually do restructure an existing contract or the draft.

I do anticipate them bringing back Keisel for one more year, he's to the point where at his age no other team is courting him and in him the Steelers will have depth, experience and someone that knows their defense.

I tend to think they'll pickup whatever they deem the best available pick at WR or DB as number one and go with the other position in round 2. I know they're looking for a big target at receiver but there's talk of Brandin Cooks at Oregon. He ran a 4.33 40 at the combine (so did Mike Wallace) but he is 3" shorter. Cooks had over 1,700 yards last season and 16 touchdowns. (granted the Pac-12 conference isn't as tough as the SEC that Wallace was in) If they had Brown, Weaton (or Moore) and this kid Cook to stretch the field, that'd be a tall order for most secondaries to handle... have two backs to establish the run to sell play-action for these three? I don't think picking Cook height would help them in the red zone though.

The word is Jones-Drew has come to terms with the Raiders

1 - 20 of 88 Posts