The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just given a few boxes of steel bb shot do you think it would make a good yote load or should I stick to lead or copper ??[

·
Registered
602 Posts
Stick with lead or hevishot...ask anybody that hunts waterfowl their opinion on steel shot and you'll get all the reasons you need...my personal opinion, its inhumane and shouldn't be allowed for anything

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
It works perfectly fine, givin you stick within its limitations. When people try and go beyond those, is when the problems start. If that's all you have, it'll kill a yote if you're close. Personally though I'd never use it. Penetration will suffer, and your reliable killing distance will be cut down considerably.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I would not go outside 30 yards with steel. It will kill but like others have said it has its limitations. Lead or hevi shot works best.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I do not think it would make a good yote load. Use it for waterfowl and stick to the good stuff for predators.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I would say VERY limited range. Like from your toes out to about 10 yards. As was stated above, the stuff is junk. Inhumane is a really good word for it. There is no way i would risk a shot at a coyote, or even a fox, with steel. A shot at a yote is a rare opportunity, don't mess it up with steel shot. Anybody on here kill any yotes with steel BB?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Yep, here ya go. From anther thread earlier this year...

swpa87 said:
Haha yea I agree with the brush thing but, I have killed 3 coyotes very easily with steel bb shot. my wingmaster throws that stuff very well. But all of them were in tge open on a logging roads. I think it just wasnt heavy enough to puch through thicked twigs. The remington no 4 in 2-34 isnt very goof from my gun. I shot at a standing coyote last year from 30y head on and missed! im gonna pickup some hornady number 4 and see how that works.

·
Registered
881 Posts
So your advice that it works fine is only what you've read, or have you killed some with it too? I've seen way too many geese take direct hits and just fly away, to risk losing a coyote. Watched 2 different guys shoot turkeys with the stuff, too. Truthfully if I had to choose I would shoot low brass 6's before steel shot. Not that I'm recommending that, but this is how much I disdain steel shot.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
dtpa said:
So your advice that it works fine is only what you've read, or have you killed some with it too? I've seen way too many geese take direct hits and just fly away, to risk losing a coyote. Watched 2 different guys shoot turkeys with the stuff, too. Truthfully if I had to choose I would shoot low brass 6's before steel shot. Not that I'm recommending that, but this is how much I disdain steel shot.
If you actually read my whole post, you might have seen where I said I'd never use it for coyotes. Where I said it works fine within its limitations, was in response to cm's post that it was in humane, and wouldn't kill waterfowl. Like I said, stick to it's limitations. And if that's all I had, I'd hunt coyotes with it, and only shoot them in the face, 20 yards and under. if you look up the other post, I believe I was the first one in that post to say that steel was garbage or coyotes. Seeing as how I saw a yote get crushed at 40 yards with hevi 7s going a tad over 1000 fps, I'm certain that steel bb going 1500 or so fps at 20 yards will do just fine. Have you shot any coyotes with it to prove it doesn't work, or are you just going off what you read?

·
Registered
602 Posts
My reasoning for saying its inhumane is seeing countless geese crushed with it every year at 20 yards, only to hit the ground and get back up and fly away crippled crashing down somewhere a few hundred yards away to die slowly...and I always make every attempt to find them but its still maybe 1 out of 10. 75% that don't fly away are still alive when the dog brings them back and you have to wring their neck. Even worse hunting over water when they dive over and over again tiring the dogs and you have to call them off so they don't wear themselves out chasing around a wounded bird. I don't care what kind of wad they put it in or how its stacked in a shell its still junk steel. I apologise for the rant but I have a true hatred for it

·
Registered
927 Posts
I killed 2 with steel bb last year from fairly close, shot one this year through some brush about 20ft and it took off. I dont use it anymore because of that. I now use BB hevishot made by winchester in a 3in. Havnt shot anything yet though. The steel bb worked fine in tge open... furthest shot was about 20y. #4 lead buckshot will do the trick at any distance as long as you hit it were it counts alothough thats just kinda luck with a shotgun.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're "crushing" anything at 20 yards, be it goose, coyote, duck, turkey, etc. and it gets up and runs or flys away, it wasn't the fault of the shell you shot it with.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Maybe crush was the wrong word....center mass hit feet down in the decoys big ball of feathers is a better explanation...got a flock on video last year 3 seperate birds folded, regained themselves and kept on going like nothing happened...got alittle off topic there. I've had them wake up in the pile between the blinds and fly away, even had one stand up and try jumping out of the truck bed on the way home

·
Registered
881 Posts
Absolutely not, I have NEVER shot a coyote with steel. My advice is based on seeing how a coyote can absorb #4 buck, at various distances, and not be dead right there, and examining the penetration that was attained on those shots, or sometimes the lack of penetration, because of a yote's tough hide and muscle. Coupled with experiences like cm20 is talking about, and examining the LACK of good penetration with steel BB even on short-range geese. I would NEVER shoot at a yote with steel. Period. Somebody mentioned heavy 7's? That's apples to oranges. Those things are lethal. And besides, how many times a year does the average guy get a good 20 yard or under face shot on a coyote? Seriously. To answer the op's question, no, don't handicap yourself with the stuff. Shoot #4 buck, or hevi-shot if you've got the cash, and rest easy knowing you can kill them. I can see this one getting tense, so I'm done.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Lol sounds like my crow hunting.... I shoot them and they shake it off [censored]

·
Registered
897 Posts
Just not that many opportunities to shoot at coyotes.

So why not use the best possible ammo/set up?

Geese/waterfowl are different b/c new birds to the area on a regular basis -- not so with yotes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts