The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added these three polls to try to get a gauge on how hunters here on the site feel about spring turkey hunting in their respective areas.
I was hoping that those answer base their decisions over the last few years to reflect changes from then to now. In other words, if you think there are more turkeys in your area now than 5 years ago, choose accordingly. Thanks in advance for any participation and comments!

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I think its hard to argue against the fact that the turkey population has exploded over the past 3-5 year. At least that is what Im seeing and hearing for a lot of guys all over the state

·
Registered
19,642 Posts
Imo the rain made it tougher last year.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
According to NWTF stats, turkey population is down 15%. nationally we are loosing 6,000 acres a day to population, Thats 2.2 million a year.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
5A I think its exploding ridiculously. Southern 4d is at the very least stable if not increasing. Can't say ive seen what i would call a poor hatch in quite a few yrs same for hard winters. Predation is always a factor but harvests ae looking good .

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I hunt sullivan. Somerset. And Bucks. My friends and I have success every year. Lots of action. We all agree it is easy to get a Tom. Some of us foung to have at it with archery gear this year. I would say populatiins are good

·
Registered
690 Posts
Last year was one of the better hatches I have witnessed in the past couple. I think that it would take several years of really bad hatches consecutively to show much on an impact on the overall numbers.

·
Super Moderator
1,739 Posts
In my area of 4D the numbers are about the same and I would say they seem to be getting more wary as the areas I hunt are heavily hunted. What puzzles me is that you don't seem to have the gobblers cruising and covering ground like they use to. Is it because of the popularity of spring gobbler season, maybe a small impact because of the 2 bird limit in these areas? Who knows but as an overall picture things are good.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The part of 4B I'm hunting has gone downhill the last couple years. I used to see flocks and gobblers throughout archery. Now I see very few birds or sign. No gobbling last spring but I did take a silent bird that snuck in.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Where I do most of my hunting in Susquehanna and Lackawanna County the numbers have been consistently good. Very rare to hunt and not hear and/or see gobblers. But that doesn't make them easy. Some years were very successful and some years are tough. But there is never a shortage of turkeys, just some times a shortage of ones that are anxious to go for a ride in the truck.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I hunt public land in Berks tons of pressure. Overall the birds are way down compared to 10yrs ago. I cover 5c,5b+4c in my travels I routinely saw 10+ flocks in the past on public, private and NO HUNTING lands. I can understand the public birds decline even some of the private birds. I don't know what happened to a couple of the flocks that didn't get hunted??
One thing that did happen to 2 different GL's was loss of habitat. For some reason a couple of small woodlots got clearcut, these were roosting areas separating fields. I thought that they were going to make more fields, but that didn't happen. They are now overgrown jungles that are impenatrable

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
icemole said:
I hunt public land in Berks tons of pressure. Overall the birds are way down compared to 10yrs ago. I cover 5c,5b+4c in my travels I routinely saw 10+ flocks in the past on public, private and NO HUNTING lands.
You're right. They have declined around my place and surrounding area to the point of almost being totally gone. Don't know what happened.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
There will be more two year olds this season than any other due to the extremely large number of jakes spotted last season, I've seen as many as 20 longbeards together over the last two months working corn fields...should be outstanding hunting this spring.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Man, I need to find places to hunt outside Berks. As mentioned, it's TOUGH hunting here. I guess we get the rough turkey hunting in exchange for still decent deer hunting.

Might have to finally spread out some and look for some public land to the west and north. If anyone really needs turkeys shot, though, you know where to find me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts