The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a friend and him and his three brothers were given there fathers hand guns this christmas some of them live out of state (PA) is there a registration that has to happen with a pistol if it is leaving pa and going to another state?

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
As long as they are not prohibited from owning or possesing them, there should not be a problem. As far as transporting them across states, I'm not sure, each state has laws for transportation of firearms/handguns.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6111: Sale or transfer of firearms

Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. <span style="color: #FF0000">The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.</span>

·
Registered
199 Posts
Handguns going to out of state residents must go from PA FFL to an FFL dealer in that person's state. Call ATF.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Brumy is right......if father and sons are PA residents, they can be handed over without going to a FFL. The sons that live out of state (non PA residents) need to have them transfered thru FFL's.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
What if the son is in the military, stationed out of state (Fla) but is a legal resident of Pa?
I know his Pa permit is reconized in Fla.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Big ******* said:
What if the son is in the military, stationed out of state (Fla) but is a legal resident of Pa?
I know his Pa permit is reconized in Fla.
His legal residence is PA, he has a PA driver's license, is registered to vote in PA, etc. then he's good. If he shifted his ID to FL then he needs to go thru a FFL.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
muskie52 said:
Brumy is right......if father and sons are PA residents, they can be handed over without going to a FFL. The sons that live out of state (non PA residents) need to have them transfered thru FFL's.
If the transfers of handguns were made here in PA,(Father to child)at the fathers residence,(in PA) do they still need to go through an FFL? Even though the transfer of ownership was made here in PA?

Reason I am asking is, Uncle passed away,(PA resident) gave his firearms to his kids. (not all live in PA), How is there going to be an FFL transfer (PA dealer to other state dealer) from the Uncle? He's deceased.

How can someone prove the son is not the owner of the handgun that was given to him by his father?

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Shawn thats what I thought. I tried to tell them such, Just could not find out where the PA Uniform Firearms Act states the spouse/child/grandchild had to be a PA resident

Was told it had to do with intestate succession and that because the deceased was a resident of PA, no FFL transfer needed. Transfer was made in PA at deceased residence, Long guns only wentto out of state child. Handguns and longguns went to PA resident child.

WOW...This is a learning experience for me...

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
PADingo said:
Transfer was made in PA at deceased residence, Long guns only wentto out of state child. Handguns and longguns went to PA resident child.

WOW...This is a learning experience for me...
The long guns going out of state require going thru a FFL. The executor should have sent them to a FFL in the childs home state. Face to Face transfer of long arms is only good instate...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts