The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at state game lands and the map for 169 looks promising. It's not too far from where I live and I am thinking about going up there to scout tomorrow. Have any of you hunted there? I am still waiting to find out if I can hunt at work, but I haven't seen many birds there.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Go give it a look and see what you find. Not many guys will respond if they hunted there or not, especially if its good. Do the leg work and decide for yourself whether or not its worth hunting.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm already planning to scout it today. Just wanted to save the trip if it was going to be a waste of time. If nothing else I'll have a good day outside with my daughter.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I know that game lands like the back of my hand.
More duck hunters than i can count and more deer hunters than deer.
Dont see to many goose hunters there though.
Good luck

·
Registered
618 Posts
Once again I thought location specific posts were being deleted. If there is going to be a standard it ought to be enforced. Fortunate for me I could care less about SGL 169, but if I lived out that way I wouldn't be happy about a location specific post. What gives mods?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
sgl 169 is 3000 acres so mentioning it doesnt seem too awful specific. i hunt it a lot. i don't mind if someone mentions it but that's just me. i can tell you that it gets hit pretty hard at times so people already know about it somehow. pretty sure its public knowledge.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Reminds me of my transitions from hunting with buddies at one location to expanding it to lone hunts, in new areas, where I scouted it myself. No other hunter would want to come - to new places.
Sometimes scouting was mainly failure, except for the one or two spots you would find. But the walking was always good, even if the site turned up little.
One day I walked along a section of a small creek, and found a very small island hid in the fairly thick brush with a couple of openings. If I didn't waste the time walking it, I would have never found that gem of an area.

On days after work I'd hunt it, wading with hip boots out to the small island and return with a duck or two. It was an unimportant creek no one else hunted. Just me and the ducks.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
<span style="font-style: italic">I am still waiting to find out if I can hunt at work</span>

If you find out that you can, can you let me know if they have any openings?

thanks!

·
20,123 Posts
I see no spot burning on this thread?? Spot burning is when someone comes on here and says they saw 500 Geese on a field in blank township at such and such road. or that they shot a pile in 'this' township. But just saying an SGL looks promising, with nobody lending specific info.....just not spot burning to me. But yes, i enforce it very much.

If anyone wants to discuss further just shoot me a pm. Im happy to listen.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
surveyor said:
did you discover anything worth discovering at SGL 169?
We went on Saturday to hunt. We ended up hunting for pheasant. There were a lot of people the whole day. We scouted more as we hunted and saw a few divers, but not many. My stepdad and I each bagged a pheasant.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Roger that Trout, I'm getting ornery and paranoid too early this season.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
SigGuy said:
surveyor said:
did you discover anything worth discovering at SGL 169?
We went on Saturday to hunt. We ended up hunting for pheasant. There were a lot of people the whole day. We scouted more as we hunted and saw a few divers, but not many. My stepdad and I each bagged a pheasant.
that's decent

1 - 14 of 14 Posts