The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have but where I am at its mainly coyote territory. On occasion I call in a red or two. IMO its a little tougher hunting than the farmlands. Set up and WInd is critical....as usual though.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Yes, bald eagle, tiaghdaton s.f.'s. lots of laurel, cover. Best success is wintertime, with snow and a full moon, 40 feet up in a hemlock at night. Got a couple hollows with little laurel that I've seen them or harvested/attempted to. Works the best so far in big woods for me. Limits your opportunities, but if I'm gonna be in 0-10 degree weather I don't wanna sit for nothing.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you are in the belleville that I think .....I have hunted allen sager and rothrock st. forest before.....similar territory as where I am at.

·
Registered
332 Posts
try hunting the thick patches at the base of the mountain where it meets the fields or even on the trails/logging roads. bet you have some luck.

·
Premium Member
24,182 Posts
I hunt Rothrock, I know where the yotes hang out

·
Registered
832 Posts
I would love to learn how to hunt the big woods coyote. Up were we deer hunt I see countless sets of coyote tracks in the late season when theres snow on the ground.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Up by warren pa it is very easy to call coyotes in the ANF, I called my first one in there, it ran upto the back of the tree i was sitting agianst and then ran away barking all they way down the road! ha i was was confused at first because i thought it was a dog, i used a cheap johnny stewart e call with like 5 sounds all crappy sounds and i had a .22lr bolt gun haha.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Haha i wish I didt even see it, it just started barking 6 ft behind me and bolted, but ill tell you if you camp there in the winter say like right now and have a fire at night they will come in to check you out, i had them very close within 50y you know making those weird yawning noises or whatever they do when there sayin "i know your there" i was just sitting around my fire there they were creepin around intrested, to be honest i didnot want to go out at night there i had only a 22lr and there are alot of predators around there, i did have a spot light but never got it on them, i grew up in Reserve NM and never went out in the woods at night you could have been killed, lol but around here it does not worry me because there are no cougars or pigs. but still i had a small gun. if i had the guns and lights i do now i would not hesitate.

·
Registered
927 Posts
If you want a sure shot at a bunch of coyotes go down to the gila national wilderness in NM, you dont need a hunting permit to kill them even if your from out of state, other pred Im not sure but you can hunt coyotes without a tag.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Try the state section up on Barrville Rd. When I bowhunt that area I see greys now and then. Walk out the flat rd and find some good calling locations there above or below the trail.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts