The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it is twice now that I have been told by DCNR folks that if a disabled person qualifies under the PGC's regs for disability, they allow them to use the gated roads on state forest.

Contact the local Bureau of Forestry office in the area you want to hunt and tell them what gate you want to use, they will give you a key to the gate for better access.

·
Registered
21,018 Posts
I wonder how much discretion the district forester has over that?I'm pretty sure that it would be tough to get a key to any gates around here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i hunt 5A off 4 wheeler on state ground no problems go to district forester told him where i wanted to hunt 5to6 diferent areas sent me papers to show others of permission to be there also hunt 2g same process only problem other hunters that can WALK both areas permits from state dnr pgc

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
Most areas it's legalized road hunting now if the guys woulds stay put I would have no problem with it but they abuse it like everything else.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Maybe someone can help me here. I have a disabled hunting permit. I got a permit to use a specific road. To use a atv with a disability permit. The Rules for PGC are different than DCNR. I pretty much have to set my blind for Turkey right on the road that they have designated. I use a blind over my atv. That would put me in contact with any vehicle coming down the road. Is this right because this is what they are telling me. This makes using a atv to hunt gobblers no good. But I can hunt out of a vehicle without any trouble at all. Recourses for disabled hunters is hard to find. The rules are different for where you are and hard to understand. It seems anymore you need a attorney to go into the woods. I have both legs but I cannot walk on uneven surfaces. Very bad health so walking off the road is very difficult. So this means I have to give up hunting. I just cant make myself shoot a animal from a vehicle. Just not right to me. So any guidance would be nice.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well you bring up a very good subject. Its also one which will bring few if any good answers from law enforcement people. The law weve had for many years now requiring one be I believe 25 yds from the traveled portion of a road, was created in an attempt to stop road hunting.
What actually stopped it however, or at least much of it, is the fact that it just dosent work well anymore due to less deer. But the fact still remains that with a permit one can just wind down the window and shoot right from the vehicle.
We have an ever increasing amount of older hunters, and an ever increasing amount of land that is deemed off limits to them due to road closures.
And the road closures, at least in the N C region has been done with one purpose in mind, that being that the elk herd is more important than the hunters.
The good news is that DCNR will give you combination locks on I believe 3 gates of your choice for the hunting season if you have a handicap permit.
But you must drive in alone, except for another handicap person.
So check that out as it is about all available to you.

·
Registered
691 Posts
There is a problem no one seems to understand. If you are disabled loading and unloading a 4 wheeler is tough.
Doing this at night by yourself is just dangerous. Not having proper access is very difficult. We have a camp that is located very close to a PGC disability access road but can`t drive a 200 yards to it. They say I have to trailer it for that 200 yards. Not to understand that is not easy for me. They seem to go out of there way to make it difficult and do not understand that.

·
Registered
261 Posts
There is a problem no one seems to understand. If you are disabled loading and unloading a 4 wheeler is tough.
Doing this at night by yourself is just dangerous. Not having proper access is very difficult. We have a camp that is located very close to a PGC disability access road but can`t drive a 200 yards to it. They say I have to trailer it for that 200 yards. Not to understand that is not easy for me. They seem to go out of there way to make it difficult and do not understand that.
Fact is I do understand. I'm 82 years old, and have been having mobility problems for a very long time. I have had numerous places I hunted for decades declared off limits, due to access to the area being gated off.
Now the younger generation might think of that as being a good thing.
But fact is they aren't using those areas either, as many have stopped hunting or never even started.
You are facing a second problem due to your choice of vehicle.
You are permitted to own a 4 wheeler, and you are permitted to buy a tag for it. But by and large you aren't permitted to use it due to regulations against them.
You need to be rethinking the type vehicle you use if you want
to continue to hunt.
Put it this way, I will follow you pretty much (anywhere) you choose to go with my Jeep Rubicon.
And I can drive there legally where you cannot, not to mention no trailer or off loading.
Get the automatic tranny, and you will never look back.

·
Registered
20,334 Posts
access for disabled people need to be upgraded and improved. they build boat launching areas why not 4 wheel loading and unloading areas where you can back your truck up to a "dock" and simply drop your tailgate and drive right off onto a level surface.

it would be a lot safer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts