The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a starting pen anywhere near Bedford or Altoona Pa area? I have two new beagle pups that I need to start and have never taken any to a starting pen before, would sorta like to see how pups do started in one, any help would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
There is a trial at Bellwood on may 25 and 26 starting at 8:00 AM (breakfast at 7) come check it out. I believe we are accepting members. Your hounds must be AKC registered. 80 acres fenced LOADED with rabbits.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, i've been taking them to my normal training spot, both pups have started opening on tracks now and doing pretty well, just like a couple other pups i've had, they just sorta flip a switch and are all of a sudden into it. Andy, my dogs are all grade dogs, but i was wondering, can non-members of Bellwoods club come and watch the trials? I've never field trialed before or gone to one, but would just be interested in seeing what they are like. It would be nice to talk to other beaglers that probably know a lot more than I do, besides me and my friend who got me into beagles (he's had them for 40 years), I don't know anybody else who runs them and I've been addicted to them for a couple of years now. Like i said I don't have any registered hounds right now, but i run my dogs year round, so trialing interests me for something to do in the future during the off season. thanks again

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did just see on rabbitdogs. that there is a guy by the name of Dave Kerr from Carrolltown, pa 814-288-7605, that has a starting/conditioning pen open, so if anybody else in the general area is looking also maybe that would be a good place.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
You can definietely come and watch. It is an All Age Qualifier so that means there should be a few very nice hounds competeing, I will be there both days if you come make sure to introduce yourself.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Andy and GTR. I think I will try and get to the trial on the 25th and watch, hopefully I'll get to meet you. Would this trial be considered a gun do trial, I don't know much about the differences? My friend who is a lot older then I am said he had gone to a trial before but they considered them walkie talkie hounds and were very slow, he said our dogs (if they were registered) would be considered gun dog style I guess. GTR, I'm not too much into peanut rollers, i like 'em to bring it back to the gun so we get on another one going, I like listening to a nice long run, but like 'em to keep things moving. My dogs are probably considered medium speed and they all hate rabbits, so maybe the carrolltown place wouldn't have been very good for them anyway. Thanks again guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts