The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to get three plants to grow from seed, in pots in my basement. I let them get light through a glass block window. The problem is that two of the three have leaves that have started to get brown. There is no apparent insect at work. anyone have any suggestions about growing the plant from seed and how I can avoid this?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I managed to get three plants to grow from seed, in pots in my basement. I let them get light through a glass block window. The problem is that two of the three have leaves that have started to get brown. There is no apparent insect at work. anyone have any suggestions about growing the plant from seed and how I can avoid this?
First thing I'd try is get them out of the basement, out of the pots, and plant them in the richest soil you have in a well shaded area.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was contemplating that very thing. There is a stand of young poplars nearby and I've heard that the plant likes to grow near poplars. I planted seed there directly in the fall (as well as a few other places) but I haven't been back to see how the plants are making out or if they sprouted at all. One of the plants I grew in the pots is doing well, although it's growth has "plateaued" . Maybe if I get it outside.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If you planted seed harvested last fall, last fall, you won't likely find anything growing where you planted it...………..until NEXT spring. Ginseng seed has to go through a stratification cycle of freeze and thaw before it sprouts.

Commercially grown and stratified seed will run 60-80% germination rate on average, I'd say. Germination rates of planted fresh seed would not be as high.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Get them planted in some rich shaded soil and let them go... make sure you mark the area fairly well for yourself

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you planted seed harvested last fall, last fall, you won't likely find anything growing where you planted it...………..until NEXT spring. Ginseng seed has to go through a stratification cycle of freeze and thaw before it sprouts.

Commercially grown and stratified seed will run 60-80% germination rate on average, I'd say. Germination rates of planted fresh seed would not be as high.
I got stratified seed.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get them planted in some rich shaded soil and let them go... make sure you mark the area fairly well for yourself
I planted them outside. I know where they are, but I doubt they will make it. Only one plant looked healthy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts