The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get my son a crossbow. He will be 14 this month and he wants to start hunting with a crossbow. looking to spend 200 to 250.. what is a good one in that price range..... Thanks

·
Registered
292 Posts
centerpoint sniper 370 would be a good option, It's got adjustable stock so the boy won't outgrow it. sells for around 240

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I have Barnett Recruit for about 5 years now took a few deer with it never had any problems with it.
I back then it cost around 250.00 shipped.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The sniper 370 is the one i would go with. I got one for my son and he loves it. You can print a coupon on line for dunhams and get it for 238.00 and that includes everything except the sling and the hunting broadheads

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Killer instinct furious. It is a cheap bow with an excellent trigger. Get the one with the trigger tech. Trigger.
I had the sniper 370 it shot well. The trigger was terrible. My daughter loved shooting it. She had no concept of what a trigger should be. She shot it well.
The killer instinct is just a bit more money but well worth it. The furious with the trigger tech. Is super for the money. Well i just looked them up on Amazon price is up more then i paid for it.
The sniper is on walmart for 238$ its a good o e for that money.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I like my CenterPoint Sniper, shoots really well. I have shot my friend's Ten Points and not enough difference to me to warrant paying over 2X the price.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I started with a Barnett Jackal about 3 years ago. Shoots fast. It's a little loud and heavy so I wouldn't recommend for a 14 year old. I bought it because it came complete with arrows and the whole she-bang. Was 240 shipped from Ebay. I would buy the sniper 370 as well now. Heck I might even buy the sniper 370 as my non starter Xbow. Good luck with what you chose. My "starter" bow has killed 2 bucks and 3 doe in the last 3 years. Just find something that fits him or is adjustable that isn't to heavy. Also I would recommend a bow that doesn't need to be shot at the end of each day. The Jackal didn't have a non-arrow release so I had to carry my bag around in the trunk everyday to release the string tension. But it also made me shoot everyday as well for practice.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I am mentoring my nephew, and my brother in law just bought him the Centerpoint Sniper 370 based on what I told him about this post in the HuntingPA forums. I put it together for him last night and we will be taking it out for its maiden voyage as soon as the kid gets enough practice in.

It is a nice crossbow, especially for the price. Thanks to everyone for the info!

·
Super Moderator
24,039 Posts
I'd go Killer Instinct or Center Point 370. I'd never recommend a Barnett to anyone.
I have two friends that uses Barnett’s there’s nothing wrong with them. The one killed a nice 9 point with his the first day last year. The other just got his and it shoots great!! I got the Centerpoint Sniper 370 last year and got a doe with it the first week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts