The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be jumping the gun a little but I started 144 pepper seeds this evening (12 different varieties). Anyone else start seeds yet?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will probably be transplanting tomatos tomorrow. Almost all of them have their first true leaves. The peppers are coming slowly. I don't use a heat pad and only about 1/3 have sprouted so far.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i have good results using peat pellets and a small jiffy tereriam with the clear plastic lid placed on my furnace, most of my peppers sprouted within days of planting, i realize i jumped the gun planting early but so what it keeps me out of the womans hair

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use the same system. I had some peppers sprout really early and had to get them under the lights so they didn't stretch. Several popped overnight. Here's the tomatos

and the peppers

I'll probably start the cabbage and broccoli later in the week

·
Registered
178 Posts
lookin good i wish i had the room for a larger garden but im renting and have to container most of the garden. i never realized before container gardening the extra care and watering required but still beats not having the option of walking out the door and picking something.i dont know why i bother but every year i am gonna only start some peppers and tomatoes. well so far i have 6 different spices coming 4 lettuce varities hot and sweet peppers tomatoes onions kolarabi and cabbage. it just seems once i get started i cant stop planting.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know how you feel. I just started really getting into gardening a few years ago and last year was the first year I started everything from seed. This year, I have 17 different types of tomatoes and 12 different types of peppers started.

·
Registered
178 Posts
just wondering,do u grow jetstar tomatoes, they do well in my area of luzerne ct. but havnt had any luck finding seeds. last year i found plants at wall-mart and should of saved seeds but i dont trust plants i dont start myself because of hybrids that seeds saved may not come true to the mother plant,made that mistake once and had a crop of plum and cherry tomatoes that was supposed to be big-girl

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
We have peppers and tomatoes up in the starter trays and they will be ready to transplant to flats starting in 2 weeks...we started Cabbage, leaf lettuse and Romain Lettuce yesturday....all peppers and tomatoes were staggered in starting, something we have not done in years past..
1,500 different green peppers, about 1,000 different hot peppers up and growing...we are thinking of starting more hot peppers....

we have just started...there is much more to do in the greenhouse before we even plow the fields!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Started all my hot peppers.... Peruvian white lightning habeneros, regular habeneros,bhut jolkia,pablanos,serranos,cascabellas,cayanne, purple jalepenos, regular jalepenos,and starfish peppers.... 176 hot peppers in all.... I like a little spice in my life.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I am looking for some good pablano seeds. Can anyone share about a dozen or so? I have some heirloom tomatoe seeds I can trade. thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
pm me your address i'll mail you some

·
Registered
427 Posts
Tater...received the seeds. THANKS!

Alsoif anyone wants to try growing a deep purple variety of Siberian Iris, I have lots of seeds from last years flowers. Just PM me for seeds or photos of the plants.

·
Registered
283 Posts
transplanted my habeneros this weekend into bigger pots.... they are doing well.... I also wanted to let you guys know that you can order good seeds off of this OH dealer. http://www.hirts.com Good seeds and great prices.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts