The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I planted tomatoes today, only 10 more weeks until they will be safe to plant outside........Maybe.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm right there with you. Seeds are in the tray (tomato, cabbage, eggplant, etc) and asparagus bed is prepped and peas went in the ground today. Crossing fingers.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BlackSwattie said:
My garden is still snow covered.
Yep, so is mine. It's not safe to plant anything here in Somerset County until around Memorial day. But, just the fact I got seeds starting is a good sign!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hoping the warm temps Monday, Tuesday, followed by rain Wednesday, makes the snow go bye bye. Otherwise I'd have manure and compost spread.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Snow was melting good during the day yesterday but then it dropped down to 22 last night and we picked up about another inch of snow.
I still have well over 24" on my lawn, and piles over 6' from plowing off my garage and driveways. I will be happy if I get to see earth before Easter.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Transplanted cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels this week. Tomatoes are about 7" high. Gonna transplant them today. Sweet peppers are taking their good old time, like always. Hopefully can get the cold stuff in the beds by next month.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
peep site said:
My garlic is starting to pop through the mulch.
Nothing popping through this yet. But, I can finally see a little bit of the garden.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Hopefully things start to improve. I planted pepper seeds five weeks ago this Sunday and only three out of 50 have sprouted. Peppers take time but I've never had germination this poor. Looking at my records, I planted onions on this date last year. That will not be happening anytime soon with the ground around here.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I had the same thing with the sweet peppers. I was ready to start over, and I have 14 (last count) coming up now. California Wonder and Big Dipper. They were started early Feb.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I know you need to be patient with peppers, especially without a heat pad under them. Two years back, I didn't think they were going to germinate so I planted again. when it was all said and done, I had over 100 pepper plants. Some sprouted up to 8 weeks later. Just started my tomatoes and cabbage last Sunday. I expect to see the first ones sprouting this weekend.

·
Administrator
28,524 Posts
My garden up here in the Adirondacks is coming along quite nicely.
I've pretty much got the weeds under control and the slugs dont seem to be a problem at all this year.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
I tried plowing the garden last Saturday afternoon. Kept hitting big chunks of still frozen ground down 5 inches. Going to spread black plastic out over the ground to help heat things up. Checked the US weather stats for my area. Mean last frost is April 3. This year, they might be referring to the emotion rather than statistical term.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
About 2 days ago another Big Dipper pepper popped up. Now the eggplants are messing around. Two came up and one died. Tomatoes are 16" and need transplanted. Cole crops are about 8" and sitting in bay window.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The onions haven't even popped up here yet. They are calling for a mix of rain and snow on Sunday.

WHEN WILL IT END!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I tilled about 8' x 50' today,got halfway done before it started to rainning but i finish it.I cover it with plastic so it didn't get to wet,plan on putting some onions in also tilled 2 50' rows of garlic it is looking real good.(westmoreland county)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts