The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I took your advice and took my beagle out today. I bought a 30ft lead rope and took him out this morning to a large field with some wooded area around it. I first started training him to "come" to me. Everytime I would say come and he turned his head and came over I would give him a treat. I did this for about an hour today.

After that, I purchased a tame rabbit, took him to the same field and allowed him to sight chase it. It was going well, he would catch up to it but I would pull back on the lead just as he grabbed it. I didn't want him to kill it right away. He chased for only a few minutes, everytime he tried killing it I would tug back on the lead rope.
The last time I tugged back on the lead rope the rabbit darted for the woods. It ran in through the woods and my pup went in after him. However, I still had him on the lead rope. I didn't want to let him go in fear of losing him. I wasn't able to go into the woods where he entered so I called him back, walked him about 5 feet to the left where I could follow him into the woods. He searched for the bunny but could not find it. He searched for a good 30 minutes and then I believe he became uninterested.

Thinking back I should have let him go, he probably would have grabbed the bunny and I could have went into the woods and got him while he had it. And petted him and said good boy once he had it to get him excited.

I hope I didn't make a huge mistake by not letting him chase into the woods after him. I did not scold him at all. I went into the woods with him and let him go about and search for the rabbit. But like I said after about 30 minutes or so I took him back to the car and we were on our way home to wash him off.

Do you think I made a mistake in not letting him go? It was his first time out and my first time in the field with him. In hindsight I think I should have let him go and let him grab the bunny. What are your thoughts? I hope I didn't do too much damage. Maybe I'm just being a bit paranoid. lol. I just don't want to ruin the dog.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
frankly in my opinion you're rushing things. you should just take him for walks.get to know each other. forget about hunting for now. if I'm not mistaken you just got him like yesterday right

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
IDK but I think commands should be your paramount concern at this point.
Having him obey commands will help you on two fronts (home & hunting).
As far as losing him... commands will bring him back to you, other than that a bell is a nice touch (and best to get him used to it now while young).

Also, rabbits will add up quick if your not keeping them yourself, gander sells rabbit scent and drags, maybe drag around your yard and end the trail with a hotdog bit or a treat of some sort.
Of course wild rabbits are the ideal situation...

I would concentrate on commands, you could use the rabbit scent as part of your command training -look here command, ect- and transition to tame rabbits or a wild scenerio as you get a handle on the pup.

There are ppl on here much more experienced than I am, I'm sure they will chime in.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, yeah I guess I was rushing things. I just wanted to get him started on a tame rabbit. But I'll work more on commands. I am going to take him out tomorrow as well. I'll just work on the come here command. I was doing that today and will work on that tomorrow and the rest of the week. Thanks for the input. I guess I was amazed at how quickly he was learning things and I guess I rushed him by trying to start him on a tame rabbit so soon. I'll keep you guys posted on how things are going with his training. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Surveyor, once I get him listening to my commands I'm hoping I'll be able to get out with some of you guys. I don't mind taking a drive to meet so my pup can get some experience. But that's still a long way away. I am going to focus on getting him to listen to my commands for now and maybe use some drags with rabbit scent to get him interested.

John- Thanks I was a little worried at first. It's reassuring to hear I didn't do anything wrong. I am going to continue my command training this week/weekend. I'm going to take everyone's advice and not rush him into it.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts