The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
I like whacking them with a .22, really does a number on them and fine tunes my shooting.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
We shoot everyone we can to keep them out of the purple martin and bluebird houses. Same for English sparrows. We use a .22 or .17 HMR when they are on the ground and in a safe position to shoot.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I would like to but around here where I am its just small piece of gamelands however I go a mile down the road go fishing and see 300 of them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Starlings (the lucky ones) at my house are afraid of the man in the window. I shoot them off the pergola everyday. I use a .22 short
Mike

edited for spelling

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I wouldn't say that too loud!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I also have problems with the starlings and English sparrow. Anyone try the scatter shot 22 cartridge? Seems like it would be safer than the regular 22 and a better chance of killing one.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sqrlhntr said:
I also have problems with the starlings and English sparrow. Anyone try the scatter shot 22 cartridge? Seems like it would be safer than the regular 22 and a better chance of killing one.
My cousin has shot it some, but never actually shot at a bird.
It seems like a shot gun would be more effective, no?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Typically, .22 shotshells out of a rifled barrel have a very short range.
I find the "quiet .22" to be most effective. And ya know it's amazing how wary those little buggers are! They don't sit still for very long and if they pick up the slightest movement....they're gone!

·
Registered
89 Posts
To those posters worried about Bluebird & Martin boxes, you should try putting up 2 boxes at each site....one for the starlings / one for the bluebird or martins.

-John

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Love the flocks passing through this time of year. I get tons of practice with the bow. Put a couple down in the 70 yard range.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts