The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our corn plots are still standing. Should we knock them down a few days before deer season? Maybe hit it with the brush hog to make it easier to get at? Thoughts? This is the first year the corn lasted this long.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leaving it stand all winter is normal? The plot isn't nearly big enough to feed the all the deer that visit the food plots next to it, for several months. It might be 0.5 to 0.75 acres total. The bears already knocked some down.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
There is a big difference legally between bears knocking down corn to eat it and you brush hogging it down. The bears are a natural occurrence, brush hogging and hunting around it is illegal. Deer are perfectly capable of getting the corn on the stalk, they do it all summer.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Just put up a sign reading: THIS CORN IS FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION, ANY DEER FOUND EATING IT WILL BE SHOT ON SIGHT! .... LMAO.... that'll be legal... ROFL

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont have a copy of this years regulations book handy, but I can't ever remember seeing details about this in one. Genuinely curious where you guys are getting this info. (We'll just let it stand)

·
Registered
1 Posts
This article may help to answer your question. Brush hogging the corn may not be considered a normal farming practice and thus be considered baiting. However if the corn is left standing that would make it a legal food plot. You can always call the Game Commission for an answer. A number is included in the article.
DON?T GET CITED FOR BAITING

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
RGrizz, all are correct about the baiting. The true term they use is "manipulated". If you personally, manipulate the crop in anyway, it becomes illegal. No need to knock it down anyway, the deer will make quick work of it, once they get hungry.

I goose hunt a lot, out of blinds, which we cover in corn stalks to hide it. When we cut the corn down from one place, and move it to the blind for camo, I must remove the actual ear of corn(food), or it would be illegal. WCO lived very close to me for quite a while, very friendly, he confirmed it.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
WCO and deputy both have told me. I planned on chopping a sunflower field to dove hunt years ago. I was warned by a deputy i know who i invited to hunt, i ran into the WCO at the fair and verified.

It is a very grey area.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
There is not one grey are about manipulating farm crops to hunt over, period! No farmer takes the time to plant a crop, spend money for fertilizer and lime and seed only to brush hog the crop down after it has matured. That is not a accepted agricultural procedure. Consequently, it is illegal to hunt over a field where that has occurred, both under state and federal law.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I fully understand the baiting regulations in place.

However, most farmers I know are not going to spend the time and money on working the ground, applying lime and fertilizer, planting the crops.....just to let it stand for the deer to eat. Ha

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No they wouldn't however, under the game law, food plots with grain left standing are a normal agricultural practice. Something the PGC has approved of for decades.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
In Delaware if you rent farmland from Fish & Wildlife you must leave your 4 outside rows of crops standing to feed the wildlife., when harvesting and you can hunt over it..

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
When I was still working on some game lands the contracts with the tenant farmers required them to leave a certain percentage of the corn stand, I assume it is still being done.

·
Registered
654 Posts
However, most farmers I know are not going to spend the time and money on working the ground, applying lime and fertilizer, planting the crops.....just to let it stand for the deer to eat. Ha
I wouldn't really call them good farmers but I know some who waited until after Thanksgiving to start picking their corn.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I wouldn't really call them good farmers but I know some who waited until after Thanksgiving to start picking their corn.
Ha - agreed. The farmer below us still has several fields of corn standing.

·
Administrator
14,432 Posts
OK how about this scenario:

You plant a good sized field of corn and put a fence around it to keep bear and deer out with the PGC approval.

Bear season rolls around and the fence is taken down drawing bears in like flies to honey and a few bears are harvested in and around the corn field.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts