The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rudy is my Standard Poodle, blonde...dirty blonde when he's been out in the woods, brown even at the feet. Rudy helped me get one pheasant so far this year. He's into it big time and has pointed, flushed birds.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
how do I post a photo? It's been awhile since I've been visiting here. I'm going to have to come back more often.

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
As a teen I hunted with my older cousin frequently. One time he told me that we were going to small game hunt with a guy he worked with and who was going to have his Poodle with him. I was sure he was kidding and I told him so. Looking back, it's clear to me that he knew this dog was hunter and was getting a laugh at my reaction. That Poodle was a BIG dog with very curly shiny black fur and a great hunting drive. He huted up rabbits for us all day and was real good at listening to his boss. We hunted with that guy and his Poodle pretty often for the next several years and it was always a treat. A real good dog but if I had to say something negative it would be that he was kind of aloof and superrior acting. Like he just barely tollerated us hunters.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
there is always an exception to the rule, over the years I have seen some strange breeds out in the field.
it all depends on the individual dog.

with that said, congratulations on having a bird dog !

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have read that the standard poodle can be a great hunter and when I you my neighbor who was in his nineties told me that the standard poodle was a good hunting dog and that years ago they were bred for hunting so I believe it 100%.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
huntsmenbob said:
I have read that the standard poodle can be a great hunter and when I you my neighbor who was in his nineties told me that the standard poodle was a good hunting dog and that years ago they were bred for hunting so I believe it 100%.
your neighbor is correct, Poodles were originally a hunting breed (from France if I remember correctly). over the years the breed has changed to more show than anything else. just like any other breed, there will be some that have the drive to be a field dog.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Not to steal your thread but my wife wants to get our son (7) a dog but doesn't like the hair and she is thinking of a labadoodle or goldendoodle and i was thinking maybe this would work for a hunting dog as well.After seeing this post it might work out real well.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
You'll get lots of opinions. But I would steer clear of a breedadoodle.

They are bred merely for the non shedding factor and its not a guarantee because the so called breeders are not holding those that don't produce the non shedding characteristic out of the gene pool. The breeding isn't regulated and people are just cashing in on a fad.

The guy who originally made the cross and coined the term has stated he wished he had never done it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I see 6 or 7 of them every year at AKC retriever hunt tests. One of the poodles I see regularly at hunt tests passed the mater national hunt test a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I had a toy poodle,in my younger years,and it would hunt all game,great for tree rats.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
cut their hair so they have a nice afro and fluffy ball on their tail and dye it flourescent orange and then paint their toenails fluorescent orange

1 - 12 of 12 Posts