The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was fortunate to recover the bullet from my Son's first buck. 30-30, 170 grain partition. What I've come to expect out of them over the years. Front section separates and rear stays together nicely with mushroomed copper petals. Lodged just under the hide in opposite shoulder. Pretty much standard and a great hunting bullet that has proven itself over time. Didn't weigh it, but guessing minus the front section it was approx 65% weight retention.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I'm having a hard hard hard time believing that it's a partition because they are formed with an (H) that has the top pushed together to form the point.. I SEE NO H, are you sure this wasn't a ballistic tip ???? I have shot lots of nosler partitions at much higher velocities and through much tougher game and the few that I've have recovered NEVER had any core separation.. very skeptical that this is a partition????

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6-DASHER said:
I'm having a hard hard hard time believing that it's a partition because they are formed with an (H) that has the top pushed together to form the point.. I SEE NO H, are you sure this wasn't a ballistic tip ???? I have shot lots of nosler partitions at much higher velocities and through much tougher game and the few that I've have recovered NEVER had any core separation.. very skeptical that this is a partition????
Absolutely a partition. A 170 grain roundnose bullet loaded by Federal for the 30-30. What you see is what appears to be a cup. The lead frontal section separated and the copper jacket of the forward section did not expand quite as far as the partition base, giving it the "cupped" appearance. There is no remnant of the lead remaining forward of the partition, but the lead base visible within the rear section of the bullet is in perfect condition.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Sorry, until I see the center of the H I'll remain skeptical..not trying to start a fight but I can't believe at 30/30 velocities that anyone could ever blow the center of the H out of a partition...it looks like plenty of U shaped jacket that I've seen over the last 45 years of target shooting and running long range groundhog matches over the last 15 years, seeing thousands and thousands of recovered bullets from every imaginable cartridge...you need a better picture of the H before I'll buy it.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It certainly did not blow the center out of the "H". That is what you see at the bottom of what appears to be the cup,due to the mushrooming of the jacket, which is a long ways from the base of the bullet. I'll see if I can get a few more pics up of it.

·
Super Moderator
8,348 Posts
I've run 180gr Partitions into the bank at my gun club and found them. These were shot out of a 300H&H and were chrono'ed at an average of 3015fps.

None that I found broke the partition.

Impact speed at 100 yards from that load was likely just a tad higher than a 30-30 at the muzzle.

I'd be absolutely shocked if it was possible to "break" a partition with a 30-30.

As to the suggestion the bullet pictured was a ballistic tip....

1- How would you load a BT in a 30-30, unless it was a single shot? There are no RN-style BT's on Nosler's site. There IS a RN in a 170gr PT, though, which is what was mentioned in the OP's post.

2- All the BT's I've seen are boattails. That is not a boattailed bullet in the picture. It does appear to have the bevel at the bottom of the jacket, as a PT would.

The OP can put it to bed by showing a pic of the base of the bullet with the lead core in place, but he really shouldn't have to do that. It's not like he is required to prove anything to anyone here.

·
Registered
22,226 Posts
It's a flat base so it's definately not a ballistic tip.If Blitz says it's a partition,I have no reason to doubt that.It does look like a shed core but you can't see deep enough to tell.If it was a shed core,it would most likely be more deformed at the bottom.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the top view. Lighting is poor but the copper partition is visible in the bottom of the opening.

Here is the bottom view showing the lead core still inract within the rear section behind the partition.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Lol, he never said he broke the "H" or the partition. Partitions are made with two separate sections of lead. The rear core that is "locked in", and the front section of lead, that is ment to rupture, mushroom, shrapnel, etc. All that happened here was the front core came out of the copper jacket. I love how some people won't believe anything anyone says, they just know it all!

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Isn't the whole point of the partition to assure that there is adequate mass to gain deep penetration? Therefore it doesn't matter if the front part separates because the rear portion keeps its mass and keeps on pushing deep.

What is pictured is my experience with partitions more often than not as well. I don't use them anymore because I don't like that separation(it's in my head and bugs me). However, they are still a great bullet. The Swift A-Frame is constructed the same way except it is bonded. To me that seems kind of overkill though...if it's bonded, why have a partition in there too? Just redundant....and expensive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.