The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stand dilema

So...with the season ending quickly, i am at a loss of what to do....

I have seen 3 different shooter bucks use a trail leading to a thicket...1 90-100"...one 100-115" and the other i am gunna say should push 130+"..he has some.bone...

I saw him yesterday then tonite while coon hunting i saw him again...

I know that where they are heading is pretty much a deer sanctuary...

I dont wanna ruin all hopes of killing one...but stand wise it is absolutely the best place to be that a hunter can be....i worked years to find the spot...i can almost bet i can atleast see GOOD bucks there year to year...its just one of them spots...

My dilemma....with a few days left, i am considering just living there till the fat lady sings...dark to dark or as i can stand till i kill him or its over....

Entrance and exit wise, i walk a field/yard edge and 100yds up a ditch to my tree...its the best i can do..but it isnt bad...

What are y'alls thoughts???

After they come out of there, they are just going where ever...so makes.killing them.elsewhere.a.real gamble...

I just dont wanna blow it and ruin it....but with them on their feet and getting pretty dumb, it might be a good option...just hunt it till the end...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Re: stand dilema

I would think it depends on how they are acting where you are at..if they are cruising carelessly and actively searching, I wouldnt see a problem with it at all...they arent as concerned with you..if they are still just feeding and bedding, its a risk that might cause the mature bucks to use another sanctuary. If you can get in and out without walking parallel to their bedding area and your wind isnt blowing in while you walk in, I would do it. But I would really consider using some doe urine as a strong cover scent..maybe even more than you usually would. It would work twofold, to cover you, and draw them out, then maybe even back if they caught the wind after they left. Im sure theres a wind that is totally horrible for that spot, hunt it in any other wind than that! Good luck!

·
Registered
8,449 Posts

they are defanatly unpaternable right now, were they have lots of places to go they are covering some serious ground. what is the terrian like in the ditch you use to walk in, any cover in it?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

i was thinking of sleeping in and hunting down my favorite scents...i need a good sleep..and i am out of scent and swear by one...i swear it drew the 100-115" out the other nite...i thought i was far enough up the ditch..i didnt know their secret passage till i saw him come out of it...dead down wind...but that was the first time EVER i blew scent from my stand in the air..i had that feeling to try and cover my wind "just incase"

the cover in the ditch is THICK at the top where they are coming out of..i looked at it and said "no the first buck i saw was just cruising the edge of the thicket..he didnt come out of there" its briars and garbage people have dumped etc..as you go down the ditch it lessens and becomes woods quickly...the deer come out and follow the ditch down or take the ridge/thicket to the east..to the west 100yds away is a house...

the bucks are cruising and some are chasing...i saw the biggun yesterday on a driveway at 10am..he just came out of the corn..didnt really care i was there and just walked down the drive way, up that ditch past my tree....

i feel that even if i DO educate those bucks, other bucks are cruising and hitting it...the last time i hunted it an antlerless buck cruised the edge..so thats 4 different bucks ive seen use that spot..

funnel wise, i just dont have much in the area..bedding wise is the same...we have TONS of great deer bedding...but not many GOOD funnels..or i cant hunt them..i always struggle this time of year for that reason...

i feel GREAT i found this spot...i KNOW it will pay off time and time again as long as i can "keep it for myself"...at this point, i dont have a lot to loose...i have no confidence in anywhere else...and i just loose a few days...even if i educate them, they will be back before rifle season and we will get em jumped like rabbits...

i think i am just gunna go for it...might see nothing..might kill the slammer...

i dont like over hunting a stand...but, cruising horned up bucks...i kinda think as long as the wind is good and you dont throw grenades at them when they come past, i might be ok to hunt it a few days straight...

·
Registered
306 Posts

At this point in the season, and if they are using it the way that you say, I would do it as well. Just be ready, because 90% of my mature buck sighting are the very first time that I sit in a good spot! Get er Done!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts