The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be camping on the island and fishing for a week mid august and wondering if anyonne has been there during that time period? Usually went to Quebec but gave up that idea this year due to legal problems(dui). We will be at DeWolfe Point park in the Lake of the Isles area.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
I've heard it said many times that we pass by the best fishing when we cross the St Lawrence. Never fished there but it is a very nice area.

An article yesterday in the Ottawa Citizen quoted a high ranking Politian saying the US is a problem teen ager in regards to climate change. I hope that gives you something to feel better over leaving your money on this side of the border.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I camped on the island two years back around mid August. The weather was pretty miserable for most of our stay, with heavy rain and winds. When we were able to do some fishing we mostly fished for LM bass around docks and boat houses. As expected, 4" or 5" Senkos wacky rigged were consistent producers. We also found LM bass in the numerous little bays off of the river flows. They were consistently on the slow water side of the seam that met current. Pike could be found just about anywhere and would hit spinner baits and inline spinners. We tried to fish for SM bass in areas that showed current and structure, but it was tough because of boat traffic and rough water due to the bad weather.

Personally I think the area is great, the scenery is incredible and there is a lot to do in that area. I didnt like being that close to the boarder line, and the area has to much tourist activity for my taste when im on a fishing trip.

Last year we stayed around 15 miles farther down river and the fishing was great and there was a lot less tourist activity. We also had over 3 miles of fishable water from the US shore until we hit the boarder line with Canada. I am headed back up on June 18th for a week.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tony, good to hear! We use alot of senkos on Black Lake for the LM bass and like fishing for pike. I'm guessing any walleyes will be pretty deep that time of year? About 30 years ago I fished the Canadian side Memorial Day weekend and we killed the pike on big orange and green jigs as the perch were on their spawn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts