The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the 8th I will be getting to ssrt early in the day and setting up camp. ride all day and then I plan on camping at gillintown trailhead. The 9th I plan on riding till 4-5 and then load up and drive to rameys poker run grounds. if we get there early enough we might do some riding before dark but on sunday they are having their final poker run of the season. this is the best time of the season to ride. cool at nights and warm during the days. the trees should be getting to full color by then also. There is primitive camping at both locations. There is also a grocery store right up the road. there is also a small market with a restuarant that is atv friendly that we can ride to from the trailhead. any questions ask and if your thinking about coming respond so I can send a mass pm out with more info including swapping of contact info. thanks

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
is there anyone interested in this ride at all?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
i am waiting to see whats going on at work but if everything works out i might be interested in meeting you and taking a ride but i will not go to "ramey"-i will let you know

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats fine. I know ramey isnt everyones thing. I think you had a bad experience there. which stinks.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep it might be closer then some think. the trees should be turned nice for this weekend.

those that do not know ssrt might be turned into a dump. a big one. anyone that is local up there should know about it but those that aren't look here. http://www.stoplandfill.com/

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
The ssrt wont be turned into a dump, it will be turned back into a rail line that feeds an industrial proprety that has a dump proposed, as well as a host of other things. Gonna be tough to drive thru the pearle tunnel when a train is a commin....

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tech from gorton crossing west will be turned into the rail line to the dump. so we loose the peale tunnel and the viaduct. both is something not many get to rid through or over without riding this trail system. in the end it will stink for everyone that rides or lives in that area. ssrt is also working on making a connector to bloody skillet and then to renovo to whiskey springs. turning northcentral pa into basically what the hatfield mc coy trails are.

frank did you hear that they will turn it into a rail line without the dump? I heard from many that if the dump is a no go then the rail line will not be reactivated.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
That property will be developed for industrial no matter what...and the best access is rail, not the local roads. So I would assume it is a go no matter what, imo. The dump did get smaller than orginally proposed...though frac water treatment, bio fuels plant, quarry are also proposed..plus coal mined along the route will use the rail. Rails to trails program allows the trails to be converted back to rails...and I agree with that. [censored] about the effect to the ssrt though.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
i have been here reading what everybody is saying- so if i am reading this right- "ssrt" will not be no longer-correct? so my question is when do they plan on doing all this - dump/trains and when are they going to finish the other side of the trail to "bloody skillet"?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well this is the first time I have heard that ssrt is definately going to be reactivated to tell ya the truth. the frac treatment plant and the quarry pretty much isnt happening from what a few locals say. the dump is the big thing. if it happens the rest might come back. this is what I have heard and cannot say for sure when it is gonna happen or even if it will happen.

as far as when the connector gets done they wanted to have it done by this year but something along the lines that they got thrown a curve ball with a bridge needing to hold a fire trucks weight to aid in forest fire protection. the orginal bid didnt have as high a weight limit on it and they cant do it for the money they originally had budgeted.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I would not say definite. I would say likely. Final EIS coming out soon, and truthfully... the only "real" impact as I see it is the ssrt and the money they spent on trail. This is first time rails to trails is trails to rails, so who knows.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah that stinks. the peale will be daylighted if it happens and the viaduct needs rebuilt. they will have a bunch of money into reactivating the trail as well. we'll see. I figure enjoy it while I can.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Willy, where you getting all of your inside info? These EIS's can take years to complete, I'm not sure how putting a dump that big in cannot have an environmental impact of some sort.

It will probably work as usual though, those with the most money will get what they want!

·
Registered
949 Posts
bigben said:
as far as when the connector gets done they wanted to have it done by this year but something along the lines that they got thrown a curve ball with a bridge needing to hold a fire trucks weight to aid in forest fire protection. the orginal bid didnt have as high a weight limit on it and they cant do it for the money they originally had budgeted.
Whomever you heard this from, they are completely wrong.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
can you tell me then what is happening then and what is taking so long? I heard this from someone pretty high up in the ssrt association. I just figured coming from the person i talked to that it was pretty solid. I guess I am mistaken. Can you please share with us what is actually going on since it looks like you have some knowledge of it?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Fire trucks and the weight limit never had any bearing on the project. It hasn't been bid out previously, it is out for bid now.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/facdes/fdc_BidProposals.aspx

The project was on schedule for construction in 2011 - 2012

Originally the bid was going to be put out in the Spring 2011, as I said above it was on the calendar and was the next project to come up for design.

Money to pay for it has to be secured prior to design. Permits and Environmental Reviews need to be done.

It was planned to be paid for across 2 fiscal years, now it must be paid for in one.

The timetable has been accelerated by other forces, and the project is out for bid now, pending a sucessful bidder and completion of the construction of the bridges, it should be open sometime during the summer of 2011, but unforseen circumstances could push that back.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the info.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Your Welcome.

The last I knew, there still was not a legitimate and legal connector between the Clarence end of the SSRT and the start of the Snow Shoe Township Roads that are open to ATV's. To make the connection do you still have to ride down the berm of SR 4002 to the Tennessee Road(township road)? Also, when the connector is completed, only persons 16 years or older are legal to ride on the township roads designated as ATV trails.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts