The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode the SSRT a few years ago with my son who was 8 at the time. I parked in the main parking lot and stopped at the train trestle bridge after the tunnel. There just is not much to ride as far as trails. The kids liked riding into Clarence for ice cream, but surely there is more trail that are not roads. Are there a lot of trails on the other side of the train trestle? The problem is my daughter (8 years old) is just starting riding and I don't feel safe having her cross the trestle. Is there another way or do I have to ride on non-SSRT trails?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
There's at least a days worth of riding on that side of the Viaduct Bridge, you just need to turn right at the yellow bollards after the tunnel and cross the bridge that goes over the Red Moshannon, you can even get to the other side of Via duct from over there. No easy way to explain how to do it though.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Via duct = trestle - so the answer is no

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
the bone pile is close to grassflat.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
bone pile??? That's something I don't know about...at least not by that name.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
sure you do. you have climbed the hill. the one behind your camp. that is known as the bone pile by the locals.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Ok, I never heard it called that, guess I don't hang out with the local enough

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
not sure why they call it that. they just do. most of the time at night I hook up with the locals and just hang out and chat. everyone I have met are great people to be around. that is one thing about quaders doesn't matter who you are or where your from we always hang together.

I will actually be up there june 4th and 5th. if anyone wants to ride along they are more then welcome. I plan on camping at gillintown trailhead. look for a teal chevy.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Sounds like we'll be up at camp that weekend too Ben, we'll have to hook up for a ride. Have fun at Michaux this weekend, I'll bet there will be plenty of people there.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
sounds good. I am plannin on taking it easy on friday maybe do some fishing. saturday were gonna be riding out of gillintown early. around 830ish. if you want to hook up and ride saturday let me know. right now it is only me and my uncle. gonna do alot of explorin.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
talking to the locals they are using the ground to plant vegatation to help in ethanol production. i really do not know much more then that but it has something to do with ethanol.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
It's going on all over north central Pa the last few years, they're reclaiming abandoned high wall strip mines to help restore the land to closer to what it used to be

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Between the viaduct and the 80 bridge you want to take the old railbed trail that goes to the right, just keep following that until you get to the bone pile coal hill

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I just cant get up there like I used to...you guys are making me jealous.....the camp I belong too is less that 2 miles from the Gillentown trailhead...I could take you for some good exploring off of SSRT....totally legal too. Moshannon locals own the camp I belong I too and are big riders of the trail. I rode it allot in the past but after my Dad died in 2004, I have only rode it an few times

maybe some day

·
Registered
6 Posts
This Sunday will be our sixst time up there and we find new trails ever time.They really have a nice and cheap place to ride.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I will be up there friday and saturday if anyone wants to ride. I am camping at the trailhead friday night.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts