The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the really cold weather coming this week, will the squirrels be out? Also, what would be the best way to hunt squirrels in the cold?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
they'll be out, not so early in the am though.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Not sure about the bitter cold, but I was out deer hunting saturday morning when it was 25 degrees and the wind was howling and I must have seen a dozen squirrels. They were running around as soon as the sun came up.

·
Super Moderator
12,815 Posts
Good Luck. My experience when it gets bitter cold the squirrels will den up for days at a time. You can easily determine how this works in your area by the number of tracks in the snow during the cold blistery days.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Born2Hunt said:
Good Luck. My experience when it gets bitter cold the squirrels will den up for days at a time. You can easily determine how this works in your area by the number of tracks in the snow during the cold blistery days.
That is what I see also. If they come out of the den it is only for a few minutes. The first day that it warms up they will be out. Until then I am going to do like them and hang out in the den.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I dont hunt squirrel below 25deg. Not productive but if I would Id be at the top of a tall hill with big trees. Or in pine tree stands. this time of year I find them in groups as many as 10 deep. But like a school of fish they come and go toghether.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Best day I ever had with my dogs it was in January and it was 12 degrees but not much snow on the ground- at least not the kind of snow that they have to wade through or can not easily dig through.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I'm gonna find out if you guys are right. Supposed to warm up a bit this weekend. I'm taking the .22 mag out to try for a couple squirrels.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i see them out all day long go get them.. i walk with my 20ga so i dont get cold this time of year and i also look for deer sign and look for sigh of other critters kinda kill a few birds with one stone.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Alot of guys use a rifle in the winter but I like a 12g with #5 high brass, alot of times I see them on the ground digging and then they take off and never stop. iv lost so many squirels because of my scoped rifle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts