The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can get tanning kits from McKenzie taxidermy supply. Everything you need but salt. Easy instructions to follow.

·
Registered
430 Posts
All I did was stretch and salt my black squirrel. After it dried well, I removed the salt and scraped it with a dull pocket knife. That lifted all of the meat and other sinews that I could grab and just pull them off. Once that was done I just worked it a lot, when was sitting watching TV just roll it and bend and twist until it is really pliable. Then just trimmed the ragged edged and tacked it on the wall, came out real well

·
Registered
274 Posts
for a pelt that small salting then working it would work but to make a longer lasting hide tan it, mckenzies kit is somewhat cheap and easy to follow just salt make the pickle and then tan, much easier then it sounds when reading the instructions just when drying it for a rug or to hang like your saying id stretch it an pin it on a board to prevent shrinkage.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you take it to a taxidermist and have them send it out to a tannery its pretty cheap. But if not take meat off, use denatured let it sit in dentaured alcohol for a half hour.Take it wash it in dawn and downy for a bit pat dry with towel blow with hair dryer for a minute then work it or hang it up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts