The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hot diggity hot dog!! One month away! This has to be my favorite hunting. Old Mossberg .22, thermos of coffee and snacks, couple hickory groves on the sunny side of a hill, noontime nap, may even pop a squirrel or two. I've been doing this for about 55 years and I still get excited. I was going to sell my old 1947 Mossy, but after a trip to the range, heck no!

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I just had shoulder surgery, so hunting is on the back burner right now. Hopefully in a month or so I will be able to hunt with my .22 and get some woods time in too. Looking forward to it as well.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm with you on the squirrel excitement. I have been taking my neighbor (now 14) hunting for the past 2 seasons. It is great to be able to pass on what I know to him. I will be taking my single shot 20 gauge out when season gets here. It is the first gun I ever owned and is still my favorite.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I never really did it before bu I'm excited to give it a try. I owe my 9yr old nephew a few days afield either fishing or hunting so I've been thinking I would take him along for squirrel a few times.

He's good luck too, I took him for a hike with me in the woods & swamps near me once and we ended up seeing several deer, a flock of turkeys, a bear track and finally a big ol' raccoon.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I got the Wee Man his mentored license this year for his 8th birthday. He can't wait until the youth opener and hasn't been talking about anything else. He has a football game in the morning then it will be off to my buddy's woods for squirrels. I told him after football was done, we'd head up to camp and drive over to Kinzua to see about bagging some black squirrels. I used to love squirrel hunting when I was in my teens but moved on to other things as I got older. I'm excited to be doing it again.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I can't wait either, I think it is what I like to hunt the
most. I am always excited for squirrel season more than
anything else!

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's still my favorite game even after 5 decades. Love the early October woods all the way through the February chill.

I'll be out as soon and as often as I can with one of my 22's. I may even shoot a couple when the opportunity and inclination arise. They're great in a pot pie for a winter lunch.

·
Super Moderator
24,058 Posts
FGjr said:
They're great in a pot pie for a winter lunch.
I agree there

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Seen a nice place for squirrels while flintlock hunting a new area last season. Will wait till after archery season to hunt. Have other areas to hunt for now.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
If you find an area, and once you put a little pressure on them ..it really gets good. Grown men..in a battle of wits with Pa squirrels.
Who needs one of those new fangled video games to kill time??

·
Registered
927 Posts
Can't wait!!!! Was out today with the bow 2b and found a local gold mine... Nuts acorns and squirrels everywhere! Had a weird on with a large tumor walk with 10ft before I gave it the nod to be gone haha

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
My grand-daughter hasn't been successful as yet, but we feel this will be her year! She is comfortable now with her little Rossi .410, so we're hoping some limb bacon will make it to the pot, or frying pan this October.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Squirrel season is still my favorite time of year. Taking my son out for the first time this fall. Hope he grows to love the sport as much as I do.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is the way to start. My Grandfather would take me along when I was very small and I would hold on to his hand. His old JC Higgins 12ga. single with never more that three number 4 shells. How to walk slow and quiet. Find a nice hickory tree to watch. Don't shoot the first squirrel that starts to feed. And when you start shooting, start at the lowest one and work up. If a shot squirrel falls down through the other ones feeding that spooks them from the tree. Grandfather would only shoot enough for a "mess" for supper, two or three. Every time I sit at the base of a white oak I remember those blessed days.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
My very first hunt when I was 12 years old. I loved it then and still do 42 years later. I have a specialized 22 just for hunting squirrels. They are very good table fare also.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I haven't hunted squirrels since the 70s, but I have a .22 bull barrel contender with a 2-6x scope coming that I hope to use this season.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts