The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to cooking squirrels, anyone want to share some good recipe's? thanks...

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
mine usually go into the pressure cooker whole or cut into peices with minimal seasonings, usually just salt and pepper to taste, a little onion and some garlic. I cook them till they are falling apart. remove the rats from the pot, debone/demeat and put all the shredded meat aside. Cook down the liquid in the pressure cooker (after straining all the "bits" out and then add a bag (or the appropriate amount) of mixed veggies (Veg-all frozen veggies) and then thicken the sauce with a little corn starch mixture. add the meat...and pour into a pie shell, topped with another pie crust.

or instead of the pie, top the slop with biscuits or dumplings and throw in the oven (I reallly don't care for stovetop dumplings anymore)

it's hard to screw up the Skwerl Stoo
My son LOVES this stuff.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I like to make them just like I make rabbit. Cut them up, two back peices and four legs and cook them in water with a carrot cut in 4, and onion cut in four and a celery stalk cut in fourand 8-10 pepper corns and some slt. Cook them until you can pass a cooking fork through them. Then take them out of the pot, salt and pepper both sides, shake in a bag of flour and fry in bacon fat till golden brown on both sides. They will be crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. Nothing fancy, but good.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
BRUNSWICK STEW - 2 squirrels quartered, 2 tsp salt, 1 cup canned tomatoes or 1 can tomatoe soup, 2 small onions sliced thin, 4 potatoes sliced, 1 16oz can green lima beans, 1 Tbsp sugar, 1 8oz can whole kernel corn, 4 Tbsp butter, salt and pepper to taste, 1/2 cup sherry. Cook squirrels in water with 2 tsp salt until meat can be remover from bones, cut into bite-size pieces. Save water in pot. Return meat to cooking pot and water, add tomatoes,onion,potatoes,lima beans, and sugar. Salt and pepper to taste. cook slow until potatoes are tender. Add sherry, corn and butter, simmer gently for 5 minutes. EAT!!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
John S said:
I like to make them just like I make rabbit. Cut them up, two back peices and four legs and cook them in water with a carrot cut in 4, and onion cut in four and a celery stalk cut in fourand 8-10 pepper corns and some slt. Cook them until you can pass a cooking fork through them. Then take them out of the pot, salt and pepper both sides, shake in a bag of flour and fry in bacon fat till golden brown on both sides. They will be crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. Nothing fancy, but good.
thats the way i just did mine this past saturday. i dipped mine in egg and then seasoned flour, back into the egg and back into the seasoned flour for a good crust. for a added touch, after the frying is done, mix up some flour with lots of pepper in it and water to a soupy consistancy and stir into the leftover grease and let it simmer for a bit. make sure to scrape up the chunks and serve it as a dipping gravy.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Gotta love white gravy, you must have a touch of southern in you.

·
Registered
507 Posts
justshoot said:
BRUNSWICK STEW -
My family used to make this for all reunions and events. My job as a kid was to stir the iron kettle with a canoe paddle. When all the women went inside my Uncle Jack would come over and put the squirrel in. I wasn't supposed to tell anyone but I always did after they ate it. I made some last year with a few squirrels I got in the backyard. The staff at worked loved it. One guy even found a piece of shot in it

·
Registered
504 Posts
mix up some flour with lots of pepper in it and water to a soupy consistancy and stir into the leftover grease and let it simmer for a bit. make sure to scrape up the chunks and serve it as a dipping gravy.

I do mine the same way,but I use whole milk instead of water. Love squirrel gravy.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I like to cut the legs off and cook them just like you cook Hot Wings, my mother wants the rest, she will freeze them until she has a good amount then it is Squirrel Meat pie time. Theyare great as hot wings and if you don't tell someone what they are they never know it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My Dad always did like John S says above up to the point of "till you can pass a fork through them" but then rather than frying he arranges them in a baking dish and pours cream of mushroom soup on top then bakes them on low heat covered 20 minutes then uncovered 10 minutes.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I kept hearing about "Squirrel Spaghetti" last year, so it is something that I am going to try as soon as time permits me to obtain the main ingredient!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts