The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I got out for the first time this morning. Hickory nuts in my area are plentiful this season, so we headed for an area that has a bunch. We decided to sit together, and were set-up well before first light. About 7:30, I spotted the first one of the morning, climbing high in a tree. As I got lined up for the shot, I noticed a second one in the same tree. Bang, thump. Bang, thump. As I reloaded, a couple more climbed up into view. Bang, thump. Bang, thump. At that point, another climbed into view off to our left. My son was able to shoot; bang, thump! We killed 5 all within about 3-4 minutes, 4 of them from the same tree. Don't know what it was about that one tree, because there were nuts everywhere. We got up and retrieved them, then returned to where we were sitting. Sat another couple hours and only saw one more at a distance. We did see two more on the walk out, but too far and moving too fast for a shot. Just thought it was interesting to kill that many that fast.

We met an older gentleman in the SGL parking lot. I got the impression he was just driving around talking to other hunters. Since I'm gonna be an old guy myself someday, I always take a little time to chat. Great guy, and learned a new recipe to try. Hope to run into him again and give him some cleaned squirrels.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Might have been a den tree and they could have been either going into or coming out of it. Possibly they were storing nuts in it.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be, but didn't look like it. Looked just like all the others in the area, nuts all over the ground and could see a lot of trees still had a lot left hanging.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts