The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK- Let me state this-I am no big hunting dog trainer. I have trained alot of dogs(some for hunting --Chesapeake bay-Smartest dog I ever had)-- beagles all for just personal use etc.
I have never been on a squirrel hunt with dogs.I allways go in the woods early mourning take a seat and wait for the fun.SHOOT-- and wait for the fun-- shoot -etc.So I just don't get It (Help me get It, because I want to train a dog or two for this purpose If I can figure it out ??)
Why would I want to walk 'possibly 'miles with dogs out in front of me(and in much of Pa. up +down and sideways on hills) -from acre wood lot, to acre wood lot, when I could, many times, limit from one spot and one position? I know ! I know ! Its about the dogs!---Yes thats why I am asking. But knowing the nature of squirrels a little(without dogs) don't they see a dog comming run up a tree into a hole /nest/ or flatten out /in the crouch of a tree never to be seen again until the danger passes.
This scenario--- would mean when you came too a wood lot, your dogs would have gotten there before you chased MOST of the squirrels away Except maybe a stupid one. (You shoot that one) and move on to the next one etc. etc. (even though you just passed up a lot with maybe 5-15- who knows how many squirrels.)I love to hunt with dogs not chase them over hill and dale( my apologies to you coonhound guys) Where am I going wrong here?? Do the little squirrels responde different to dogs?? stay out to bark back ?There has got to be something I am missing about this? Please enlighten me.
Thanks Mike

·
Registered
24,942 Posts
You basically understand it....A dog goes in a squirrel trees, dog should hold tree or follow squirrel and hunter walks up to tree watching carefully for squirrel. Yes somedays there are den trees and nests galore. Sometimes there are leaves and evergreens to deal with. I enjoy it but have a very diffcult time locating the squirrels in the tree. My buddy with the squirrel dogs can pick them buggers out...I struggle.

Perhaps hunting with a squirrel dog is not for you...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am really interested. I dont have what you would call squirrel dogs. I have two of the finest Patterdale terriers( mason and rowe bred) These are earth dogs and many hunt coons in barns with them --tough as nails. at 12-15 lbs they will face a fox or coon head on until somebody loses. (If you catch my drift). however my 'digging ' days are over( many times you have to dig down too them if they are in trouble-skunk etc.)You have electronic collars and you can tell how deep they are underground+ plus where they are at.
anyway-- I physically can't do that now.So-- These two dogs chase squirrels on my property and already look up and follow them without any training. They love to kill /chase anything that moves( might be a problem with them ragging the heck out of the squirrels LOL)Thats my LONGWINDED reason I am interested.
are thier any books on subject?
thanks for your input

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
You don't always have to walk your butt off. You can walk in the woods and enjoy the scenery look for deer signs, talk, shoot the breeze whatever you want to do. No need to be still or quiet. You don't have to sit your butt against a tree and sit and wait. Some days a lot of squirrels will hole up some days they don't. A squirrel acts different with a dog than it does with a human as does most other animals. Take for example a turkey. Could a person walk up behind a flock of turkey yelling and the turkies not bother to fly until you were about 10-15 yards away? That is what a turkey does when a dog comes busting into them barking, I have seen it several times.

They don't really "chase them away". The squirrel will either go up a tree and stay still or hit the trees and timber, or go in a hole. You do get days and times of the year that squirrels will hole up most of the time and then there are days when you spot them sitting on the outside of the nest while your dog is barking treed. There are some dogs that will get way out there when squirrels aren't moving and some that won't. That is why you have to decide on what breed or breeding you want in your dog.

The great thing about a squirrel dog is when you have a good day you can really have a good day and it is a lot of fun. I don't know where you are from but if you can get out with a squirrel dog you will see what I mean. Lots of them are no trouble at all to handle and hunt with and it is a lot like hunting with one of your friends.

I know if you saw the show on WNEP that is not always what it is like. Squirrels weren't out that day and the one dog is known to get out there if they are not moving. What my dogs will generally do is hunt somewhat close for a pretty good amount of time. I start on a trail cut loose the dogs and watch where they cut out. The dogs go out and hunt and I usually go where they cut out or a little past it and listen for them. If they don't find something or get treed they will usually check back in 10-15 minutes and we will walk out the road and they will cut out again. When they get treed I go to them and try to find and (if in season) shoot it out to them. Then I head them back out towards where I want to go and they usually cut out and hunt again before I get there. You don't have to run to get to the tree like we did on there Bob was just really wanting to get a squirrel for the show and he knew with the time of day and the fresh snow that there was a good possibility of the squirrel not being out. I never run to my dogs. I walk my normal pace because my dogs will stay treed until I get there. Some folks may have a dog that won't stay so they might hurry.

Don't know if I helped you any. I can tell you that most of these dogs are real intelligent and a pleasure to be in the woods with. Of course not all of them are and not all of them handle great but most of the ones I have been around are a real pleasure. I can't think of a "wild" one off the top of my head but I am sure there are some.

If you were close or interested. I could take you out and you could see what they do. Mine are not the worlds greatest but I would say they are good and I like them.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
There is a book "Squirrel Dog Basics". I never read it but heard it refered to lots of times. As far as chasing squirrels-lots of dogs will do it but not a lot of dogs will tree and stay treed. You hear people say "My Lab will tree squirrels" that just isn't the same, take that dog out in the woods with a true squirrel dog the fellow will see how his Lab trees squirrel compared to a dog bred for it. Not sure if a Patterdale is tree-minded or not. Sure know they are gamey dogs.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks alot! Makes alot of sense.I am going to work with what i have for awile see how they do. Might just get frustrated! LOL but worth a try. trying to live trap some in the yard.
Does that 'squirrel sent ' in a bottle help at all in training? or just a gimmic. i was thinking of useing a road kill with fishing line to simulate movement and the sent draged on a piece of cloth just to give them the idea that its squirrels i want and not every other critter in the woods.
Thanks again for your reply

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK--I used the road kill with the fishing line today.I draped it over a cherry tree( about twelve ft high) turned the dogs loose and the second they saw it move I was pulling fishing line faster than I ever have in my life . The squirrel went about 10 ft on the ground and right up the tree (that is as I pulled the line LOL). The dogs went nuts (not as much barking- as I would like to have heard) but they jumped and freaked out otherwise. I wiggled him around for about a min. wile they desperatly did everything to get at him. One was jumping aprox. 4-1/2 ft high.(fairly high for a 15 lb dog) They never took thier eyes off It.
Then I shot 22 and let him drop. As I expected from terriors --I had to quickly rescue the little squirrel from instantly being torn in half. i did it one more time and left it at that--didn't want to bore them or lose the excitment. when I brought them in they whined in thier kennel for about 10 min or so . They were juiced !!Note to self==
Things to work on.
1) increase excitment(more barking)
2) when more juiced-find way to not have squirrel burger on the spot.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Hope they work out for you. Roadkills are easy to find and you don't know what all they put in them bottles of scent. I would use scent only as a last resort. Check the laws you may need a permit but squirrel are pretty easy to trap in a live trap. Most folks don't recommend using to much caged game. Woods time is the best for your dog. Do you happen to be the retired prison guard I talked to once on the phone years ago. Just kind of sound like maybe you could be. I know he was getting Jaged Terriers or Patterdales.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!
No I am not the prison gaurd. I hesitate to say what I am --This usually makes people aviod me LOL! LOL!Besides being a n Archittectural Blacksmith for years(have a few minor works in National Cathedral- movie sars etc.) I am a 'Priest'-26 years-- same church.I figure if the screaming liberals have that 'wak' in Chicago Fr. flager(I hesitate to give him the respect of that title). I am at the other extreem (and happy to be) I am a hunting,trapping,fishing,ati- animal -rights( They worship the 'creature' rather than the 'Creator') gun toting-concealed weapon kind of guy.
Thanks for the input--hope this doesnt scare anybody off!! LOL! LOL!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
No it doesn't scare folks off. Glad to have a man of God on here. They would love you on http://www.sqdog.com There are a lot of good dog people who are also good Christian people. I went to a Methodist church when I was a kid and since I have been married I go to a Penticostal church. Denomination doesn't matter and I know there are differences in beliefs but we all worship the same God that is the important thing. Sent you a PM back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts